• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Restaurant in Town Center (KC)

Katie Nell

or my personal favorite, Hannah's Bistro! :sad:

New Restaurant Opens in Town Center This Week

(KANSAS CITY) – Johnson County’s hottest spot for dining, shopping and entertainment just welcomed a new kid on the block. Cassis, a new restaurant with a French/American flair, opens in Town Center Plaza today.

http://www.cassiskc.com/

Has anyone been yet, though I guess it's only been a day!?

Edited by Katie Nell (log)

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

I just checked their online menu. It looks promising, if not pricey... There's a $5 split-plate charge...

Will be interesting to see how it does. I never made it to Quillec's last venture, Cafe Provence.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I never made it to Quillec's last venture, Cafe Provence.

Has Cafe Provence closed as well?

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

It looks promising, if not pricey...

Yeah, Hannah's was always a much better deal at lunchtime, but it was definitely a favorite of ours. I loved their curry-spiced french fries and they had the best chocolate ice cream I've ever had!

Oooo... maybe not... maybe I'm getting it mixed up with Hannah's Bistro...

By the way, Katie - what happened to the innaugurating post on this thread? your first sentence seems to come from the middle of nowhere... or maybe I'm not reading carefully.... :unsure:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

By the way, Katie - what happened to the innaugurating post on this thread? your first sentence seems to come from the middle of nowhere... or maybe I'm not reading carefully.... :unsure:

u.e.

It's just my continuing the subject line, because it's never long enough for my long-winded subjects!

I had to edit my original post because it violated the Fair Use policy... I received the info in an e-mail, so I couldn't link it... sorry!

u.e.

Now I'm confused...the title on the webpage when you click menu is "Hannah Bistro"

Now I'm confused...the title on the webpage when you click menu is "Hannah Bistro"

Huh! I didn't look up that far on my screen when I looked at the menu... must be a programming issue.

Ronnie... Can we just delete this whole topic and start over?!?

I knew he was thinking about placing the restaurant in Westport but had decided to go south at Town Center... menu does look nice.

"cuisine is the greatest form of art to touch a human's instinct" - chairman kaga

Looking over the menu in depth prompt these questions:

1. Cappucino Soup - I'm guessing some sort of veloute with cream on top? Sounds decadent... reminds me of a "Cappucino de pomme de terre" that I had once... :raz:

2. Seafood Samba - The description really confuses me... I simply cannot imagine what "Salmon belly, leek confit & tarragon butter Dover sole filet & carrot ginger reduction Lake trout, sun dried tomato & black olive vierge Monkfish, pear/blue cheese chutney Purple mashed potato" could possibly look like... or how it would be served... it almost sounds like three-mini-fish preparations served on one plate. I hope to goodness that the salmon belly is raw!!

3. Please, someone, help arrest my ignorance: What exactly is "airline" chicken? (See Raised Right Organic Chicken) I'm assuming it's some sort of 80's way of saying sous vide? :huh: Never could figure it out...

4. Both the Farmer's Egg and the Salade Blanche sound like winners to me.

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ate.  I hope to goodness that the salmon belly is raw!! 

3. Please, someone, help arrest my ignorance: What exactly is "airline" chicken? (See Raised Right Organic Chicken) I'm assuming it's some sort of 80's way of saying sous vide?  :huh:  Never could figure it out...

u.e.

It's a specific way to butcher a chicken breast, involving taking out the keel bone but leaving the lower wing drummette in place. Sometimes people prepare these as twined lobed, two breast fillet, but that's more accuratly called a banquet breast.

Ah, finally found an online illustration of this...see http://www.redbirdchicken.com/foodservice/index.cfm

and scroll down a little to see what I'm talking about.

-J

Edited by mywhitedevil (log)

2. Seafood Samba - The description really confuses me... I simply cannot imagine what "Salmon belly, leek confit & tarragon butter Dover sole filet & carrot ginger reduction Lake trout, sun dried tomato & black olive vierge Monkfish, pear/blue cheese chutney Purple mashed potato" could possibly look like... or how it would be served...  it almost sounds like three-mini-fish preparations served on one plate.  I hope to goodness that the salmon belly is raw!! 

I think it may be 4 preperations, salmon belly, dover sole, lake trout, monkfish

3. Please, someone, help arrest my ignorance: What exactly is "airline" chicken? (See Raised Right Organic Chicken) I'm assuming it's some sort of 80's way of saying sous vide?  :huh:  Never could figure it out...

Airline breast is a chicken breast with the last wing joint still attached, when viewed as a whole breast it still has wings, hence "airline." Not an unusual thing not to know if you've never needed to order "50 each 14-16 oz. airline chix breasts" from a wholesale meat purveyor.

I think it may be 4 preperations, salmon belly, dover sole, lake trout, monkfish

I'll bet your right... and I'll also bet that your math grades were higher than mine! :laugh:

[edited to add: But at least my grammar scores were better: I would have stuck semi-colons or periods to separate them fishes! :raz:]

Airline breast is a chicken breast with the last wing joint still attached, when viewed as a whole breast it still has wings, hence "airline."  Not an unusual thing not to know if you've never needed to order "50 each 14-16 oz. airline chix breasts" from a wholesale meat purveyor.

Ah, thanks... I need to learn the lingo!! :wink:

u.e.

P.S. Dying for your update on the dinner at F.S.!

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Looking over the menu in depth prompt these questions:

1. Cappucino Soup - I'm guessing some sort of veloute with cream on top?  Sounds decadent... reminds me of a "Cappucino de pomme de terre" that I had once...  :raz:

2. Seafood Samba - The description really confuses me... I simply cannot imagine what "Salmon belly, leek confit & tarragon butter Dover sole filet & carrot ginger reduction Lake trout, sun dried tomato & black olive vierge Monkfish, pear/blue cheese chutney Purple mashed potato" could possibly look like... or how it would be served...  it almost sounds like three-mini-fish preparations served on one plate.  I hope to goodness that the salmon belly is raw!! 

4. Both the Farmer's Egg and the Salade Blanche sound like winners to me. 

u.e.

Classical French the airline is called a Supreme(not to be confused with the dish of the same name), I'm guessing the place is close to fourty sardines?

I'm guessing the place is close to fourty sardines?

It's in the same vicinity, but on the north side of Town Center.

I'm guessing the place is close to fourty sardines?

It's in the same vicinity, but on the north side of Town Center.

It was, apparently, La Dolce Vita in a previous life.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Okay, so I got to go to lunch today!

For one thing, I thought it was pretty difficult to find, at least if you don't know what you're looking for. The only signage is "Cassis" in gold letters on the door... other than that, you pretty much have to know it's there. Maybe that will change though... they are still doing some work; they were working on installing the soda fountain when we were there. It's right next to Han Shin Japanese steakhouse, for anyone who might not be able to find it like me! :biggrin:

The restaurant itself is really beautiful, elegant, and cozy. I had never been in that space before, but I really love what they've done with it. The upholstery is modern and gorgeous. The space would really be a lovely space to sip your wine on a Friday night, but alas, I just had a coke! :wink:

The one thing I would change about the menu is that it is not very descriptive. For instance, there is a seafood ragout on the menu but it doesn't say what kind of seafood... I don't know if this changes daily, but the waitress didn't know what kind of seafood it had it in either and had to ask. Also, I had a side dish with my choice, but it didn't give a description of the side dish. Minor issues! I do have to say that absolutely everything on the menu sounded good to me, and I would have been happy with any of it. I had the Beef Tenderloin Panini with the onion & dry cassis chutney, cambozola blue cheese, and arugula... it came with a potato, arugula, and cucumber terrine (this is my description of the side dish anyway!) Chris had the Berkshire Pork Loin Croissant with arugula, cassis jam, and it came with a sharp cheddar bean salad. Both sandwiches were very good, but not truly amazing. Mine was better than his... the beef was the most tender I've had in a long while and the chutney had really good flavor. My terrine was very good as well, even though I'm not a huge fan of cucumber (probably why I wished there was a description!) Chris' bean salad was really not that good... I couldn't taste cheddar like I wanted to and some of the beans were crunchy. At Hannah's, I absolutely adored the curry-spiced french fries, and I think I would have preferred something like that with my sandwich. Somewhere in my delusional mind, I thought I had read that the sandwiches came with housemade potato chips, but I must of just been crazy! :smile: I couldn't talk Chris into dessert, :angry: but the descriptions all sounded lovely, even though I am extremely tired of seeing creme brulee on menus!

The hostess (she seemed more than just a hostess, maybe part owner? manager?) was extremely friendly and welcoming... the waitress was not. That was something that always put me off at Hannah's... the wait staff were never friendly or that competent. I thought, overall, it was a little expensive for lunch... it was around $38 with tax and tip. People in my office bitch about a $6 lunch, so I hope that there are more people to support it out there.

Anyway, it wasn't the most stellar eating experience of my life, but still good, and I'm just happy to have another restaurant in my area to go to! It's only the first week, so I'm sure they will work out some of the issues and change some things around.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI...

Cassis is having a $15 wine tasting with Martine's Import Company June 6th, from 5- 8 pm, reservations recommended. Appetizers will be served as well. Seems like a good deal!