• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Recommendations for Glasgow and Edinburgh

A mate going to Glasgow and Edinburgh this weekend, and years since I've been. Need some recommendations for bars and restaurants. Any instant help appreciated.

I've mentioned Martin Wishart to him already. Still good?

I'd also like a definitive recommendation for a fish restaurant in Leith.

What about the Buttery in Glasgow? Any recent feedback?

Good Glasgow bars, where are they? And is there a best place to try a lot of whiskies?

There's a comprehensive recent thread on the joys of sweatyland here.

To summarise, The Witchery, Number One and Martin Wisharts are all good Edinburgh choices. To that list I'd add Rhubarb in Prestonfield. For fish in Leith, Skippers is pleasingly no-nonsense.

Most bars will provide a range of whisky suffucient to poleaxe all comers. If you're a completist, try the Scotch Whisky Heritage Centre on the Royal Mile. If you're an absurdist, the Canny Man's in Morningside is a must.

While Glasgow provides fewer food options, it's a good place to eat modern Scottish. Along with The Buttery (still reliable), you could try The Ubiquitous Chip, Stravaigin and 16 Byres Road. Bar-wise, The Corinthian and Rogano are both civilised, reassuringly expensive grown-up options where you're guaranteed to avoid the Trainspotting treatment. Otherwise, just try your luck around Merchant City.

Edited by naebody (log)

To celebrate the smoking ban in Scotland, the Canny Man's has just put up a humongous bronze plaque saying:

NO SMOKING

NO CREDIT CARDS

NO MOBILE PHONES

NO CAMERAS

NO BACKPACKERS

Welcome to Morningside! :hmmm:

I lived in Edinburgh for 4 years and my favourite restaurant there was Fisher's by the Shore in Leith. There is a Fisher's in the city, which is in New Town, and is really trendy and cool, but the food is nowhere near as good as the one in Leith.

Highly Recomended!

I lived in Edinburgh for 4 years and my favourite restaurant there was Fisher's by the Shore in Leith.

I'll second The Fisher's Bistro in Leith recommendation, though I'm hardly a font of great local knowledge, since I've only visited Edinburgh once, and that was two years ago. Although our restaurant eating was limited (we were staying in a Morningside flat for the week and could take advantage of local purveyors like I.J. Mellis, cheesemonger), we made a point of stopping by Fisher's late one Sunday afternoon. I opted for the cold seafood platter, overflowing with prawns, smoked salmon, crabmeat, herring, anchovies and many other good things to eat (including a Loch Fyne oyster); my wife enjoyed a nicely prepared piece of halibut with a fruit accented sauce. With two starters, two glasses of wine and two puddings, the tab came to £48 before gratuity. For seafood, it's a great spot.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

A few Glasgow reccs... from an impoverished point of view, mind.

For a casual afternoon, I highly recommend Tchai Ovna. They have a wonderful compendium of teas, and an extremely informative menu/book. The atmosphere's really relaxed. You could easily spend a couple of hours sitting around, chatting and sharing a pot of tea without feeling pressured at all.

I haven't tried their food, although one of their caterers is a friend of a friend, and apparently wonderful, so I should. The soup's meant to be very good.

Two Fat Ladies has just opened up a second branch in central Glasgow. It's fairly informal, but meant to be excellent.

The Chip's solid, though I wasn't blown away by the upstairs menu when I went there last winter.

The Wee Curry Shop (both the Ashton Lane and Garnethill branches) is delicious and again fairly informal.

I have it on very good authority that Dakin is fantastic. A friend of mine swears that it was one of the best meals she's ever had.

Your friend has good timing, actually. The List have just published their annual Food & Drink Guide for Edinburgh and Glasgow. I believe it comes attached to the latest issue, and seemed fairly weighty. Probably worth a browse through.

To celebrate the smoking ban in Scotland, the Canny Man's has just put up a humongous bronze plaque saying:

NO SMOKING

NO CREDIT CARDS

NO MOBILE PHONES

NO CAMERAS

NO BACKPACKERS

Welcome to Morningside!  :hmmm:

There's a cash machine just opposite Canny Man's and last time I was there few weeks ago, a friendly employee actually took a picture of us (I know, very touristy, but I had some visitors over) So it's not all bad :rolleyes: