• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

1934 Lafit Rothschild

Bill Miller

Bill, Hi.....

1934 was a good but not exceptional vintage year for Bordeaux. The Lafite was one of the better wines of that vintage, drinking very nicely and earning a score of 91 as recently as 1988 but with the adviso "not destined for further cellaring so drink now or in the next few years". By 1996 the wine was clearly past its peak (after tasting from four bottles, including two of magnum format), still showing hints of its elegance but already quite tired and earning a score of 84. When I tasted the wine in 2002 it was "no longer scoreable".

Bill, Hi.....

1934 was a good but not exceptional vintage year for Bordeaux.  The Lafite was one of the better wines of that vintage, drinking very nicely and earning a score of 91 as recently as 1988 but with the adviso "not destined for further cellaring so drink now or in the next few years".  By 1996 the wine was clearly past its peak (after tasting from four bottles, including two of magnum format), still showing hints of its elegance but already quite tired and earning a score of 84. When I tasted the wine in 2002 it was "no longer scoreable".

Thanks so much--I'll let my friend know too.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.