• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Chufi - Birthday Cakes & Royal Celebrations

Chufi

Love the orange apple drink. Look's like it's carbonated, so along the lines of the apple cider "champagne" children here drink around the holidays. Is orange flavoring added?

Can you pee in the ocean?

Do you mean a spicy gingercake, shaped like a loaf? I think I've donme one of those in the Dutch cooking thread.

You gave a recipe for Spicy Gingerbread here: Kruidkoek

April

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

I'm here year round, but today was really special as it was such a lovely morning and the terrace was already pretty full at 10am! This is what we call 'koffie verkeerd' (wrong coffee) over here, it's a latte but even weaker, with loads of milk.

That is so funny, we call it Cafe Hafooch, which means "upside down" coffee.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Gelukkige Verjaardag Klary!

Heb een fantastische verjaardag week.

I really miss a good Dutch ginger cake. Can you take a picture of some when you go to a bakery. My cousin and I were talking about this cake when I made the orange and ginger cake for Passover.

Do you have a good recipe for one?

Dankjewel Michelle!

Do you mean a spicy gingercake, shaped like a loaf? I think I've donme one of those in the Dutch cooking thread. Or do you mean something different?

Yes, I mean the spicy gingercake, with chunks of candied ginger. I must of missed that one on the thread.

Happy Birthday, Klary!

I'm having a hard time keeping up with all the posts, but I look forward to reading your blog and learn more about your life and your city. You make such beautiful meals that I can't wait to see the obligitory fridge shot amongst other things.

Edited by I_call_the_duck (log)

Karen C.

"Oh, suddenly life’s fun, suddenly there’s a reason to get up in the morning – it’s called bacon!" - Sookie St. James

Travelogue: Ten days in Tuscany

What a lovely surprise!!! I've been out of the loop for several days, and what an unexpected delight to return to your BIRTHDAY blog!!!

We have a lot to look forward to this week. And I LOVE that you started out with a trip to a market that has GREENS!!! Turniptops where I come from are just referred to as "greens" and the bunches you just picked or bought or are cooking are called a "mess." As in, "I just cooked a nice mess of greens---come have supper with us."

Thanks for the week-long invitation!

Turniptops where I come from are just referred to as "greens" and the bunches you just picked or bought or are cooking are called a "mess."   As in, "I just cooked a nice mess of greens---come have supper with us."

Hi rachel.. what you see in my shopping basket are not turniptops, but spinach and paksoi (bok choy?)

These are the turniptopgreens I bought recently

gallery_21505_1968_80741.jpg

are they greens? A mess of them :biggrin: ??

Edited by Chufi (log)

YAY!!!!! I am so excited for this blog. I haven't even read the first 33 posts - I just had to chime in and wish you luck, Klary, and thank you in advance for sharing your birthday week with us. :biggrin:

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Springtime in Amsterdam and Vondelpark courtesy of Chufi...sounds like a lovely week. Thank you for fitting us in your schedule and for sharing lots of beautiful photos with us.

Happy Birthday; I"m looking forward to seeing your various birthday sweets and cakes as well as your sandwich party!

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I would love to see stroopwafels in your blog somewhere.

I went back to the market to get some plants for my balcony and look who I found? The stroopwafelguy!

Here are the nuggets of dough waiting to be pressed between the waffle-iron (you can see the iron on the right, it's closed)

gallery_28661_3_71062.jpg

He takes the thin waffle from the iron and quickly slices it in half horizontally (this is half)

gallery_28661_3_12195.jpg

...smears it with stroop (thick and gooey syrup)

gallery_28661_3_54238.jpg

puts the other half on top and hands it over!

gallery_28661_3_75555.jpg

He really enjoyed my documenting the process.. he even forgot to ask for money and I almost forgot to pay him (1 euro for the wafel).

(the sign on the back wall is a typical display of Amsterdam humor. The fanciest shopping street in Amsterdam is called P.C. Hooftstraat, named after a 16th century Dutch poet - here the name is transformed to PC Stroopstraat...)

:wub:

gallery_28661_3_489.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

Yes, I mean the spicy gingercake, with chunks of candied ginger. I must of missed that one on the thread.

I took this picture for you Michelle in the supermarket: an entire display of ginger and spicecakes.

They are called ontbijtkoek (breakfast cake), because a slice of this was traditionally eaten for breakfast or with an early morning cup of coffee.

gallery_28661_3_24707.jpg

Edited by Chufi (log)

Hey, cute photo of the brawny stroopwaffel guy! I might have forgotton to pay as well if he was smiling and laughing. :smile:

(Pretty cool to see the whole process of making stroopwaffels as well. I missed seeing that while I was there.)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Klary, I always love your posts...I don't know if I've seen anyone so consistently happy and positive! It is such a pleasure to see Amsterdam through your eyes...

Happy Birthday! We're all here celebrating with you.

I took this picture for you Michelle in the supermarket: an entire display of ginger and spicecakes.

They are called ontbijtkoek (breakfast cake), because a slice of this was traditionally eaten for breakfast or with an early morning cup of coffee.

gallery_28661_3_24707.jpg

Yes, those are it!!!! Ontbijtkoek. :wub:

Thanks, now I have to make one.

There is a Dutch store here in Israel, I just haven't figured out where yet.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

Thanks everyone! It's really great to come home to all these encouraging replies! :smile:

I don't know if I've seen anyone so consistently happy and positive!   

well, not always, you know.. you should hear me cursing when food doesn't turn out the way I want it.. just ask Dennis.. I'm saving my bad moods for him :laugh:

Happy birthday!  Do the rats get anything special to eat during birthday week?  I think we need more pictures of the rats.  :smile:

Don't worry, the rats are anxiously waiting to pose... they will appear shortly!

So, I did some balcony gardening and then enjoyed the last bit of sun with a glass of South-African rose and some borrelnootjes.. (don't know if they exist elsewhere.. peanuts with a kind of starchy crunchy coating.. very popular cocktail snack over here..) while scribbling a bit in my food-notebook.. just musing about my party on Sunday, what to serve, what to buy..

gallery_28661_3_109355.jpg

and then it became quite chilly, no balcony dinner tonight I'm afraid :sad:

Edited by Chufi (log)

Love the orange apple drink. Look's like it's carbonated, so along the lines of the apple cider "champagne" children here drink around the holidays. Is orange flavoring added?

I don't think so, but likely a lot of foodcoloring :shock:

I went back to the market to get some plants for my balcony and look who I found? The stroopwafelguy!

THANK-YOU for showing us the entire process, Klary! The stroopwafel guy looks really friendly. I would probably eat stroopwafels every morning if I lived over there! :wub:

Oh goody! I am so looking forward to the rest of this blog. I love the way you arrange your photos (they are beautiful) and the spirit of fun you put into your posts.

Hippo Birdy to ewe, and many hippo returns.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.

So, I did some balcony gardening and then enjoyed the last bit of sun with a glass of South-African rose and some borrelnootjes.. (don't know if they exist elsewhere.. peanuts with a kind of starchy crunchy coating.. very popular cocktail snack over here..)

i think these peanuts are very popular in asian cultures as well. sometimes they have some seaweed strips outside on the crunchy coating, some are seasoned with hot peppers and some are "seafood" flavored...shrimp or squid...very asian. but of course there are plain ones as well.

looking forward to pictures of your cute pets!

Happy Birthday Klary! I love Amsterdam and am dying to return. The last time I was there it was the summer of 1995, and I had no idea what good food was. I am looking forward to seeing this wonderful city through your eyes!

PS. I love your balcony! It's great that you were able to have your first sunny dinner out there this year recently. I'm going to have to invite myself over for a dinner If I can make it out in the summer time :wink: