• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Comped for No Reason

markk

Needless to say, we tipped VERY well!

Needless to say... but we're all saying it - just to emphasize that we, as diners do repay for kindnesses - intangibles, delights, surprises and off-the-cuff VIP treatment. This leads me to ask:

1. If the food/drinks are being comped - then tipping, although it is a show of gratitude and approval, is supposed to be for the server. Can someone enlighten me as to how these "VIP" tips are apportioned out after-the-fact?

2. How much do/should people tip for great (extra) service, as those described above? 25%, 30%, 50%??? I realize it really depends on what is comp'ed and at what level the treatment is being doled out... but can we narrow it down to a given range? I always walk away feeling comfortable that I've more than compensated the favor, but I always have this one corner of "hmmmmm" in my mind that the staff is scoffing at my tip after I leave.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Pan, are you saying that this water that people pay for doesn't have a different taste?????????

I am shocked . . . SHOCKED . . . . to hear that.

Not different enough that you need to savor your tap water free from any lingering effects of the traces of mineral water still in your glass. :raz:

u.e., I always tip on at least the amount I figure I would have been charged if the items weren't comped, but I, too, am eager to see knowledgeable replies to your questions.

Michael aka "Pan"

u.e., I always tip on at least the amount I figure I would have been charged if the items weren't comped, but I, too, am eager to see knowledgeable replies to your questions.

Yes, this would be the case... except so many times, I'm not able to fully assess the actual cost - as items that aren't on the menu and that *intangible* factor leave me hedging...

Would love to hear from those in the industry! What's appreciated? What's not?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Strange but my wife and I use to very often visit a restaurant in upstate NY called Terrapin which the owners always gave us dessert on the house.

At first it was nice and we appreciated it but after awhile I felt a little uncomfortable and stopped going. Some restaurants I guess just can't win no matter what they do. :laugh:

This thread reminded me of it and I really need to visit again as it is very good or at least was a few years ago.

Robert R

You know, when I think about how much I don't spend on bottled water in restaurants, I almost don't feel bad about my wild overspending on wine.

... and when I think about how much I do spend on bottled water, I don't know why I haven't begun drinking wine! :hmmm:

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Needless to say, we tipped VERY well!

2. How much do/should people tip for great (extra) service, as those described above? 25%, 30%, 50%??? I realize it really depends on what is comp'ed and at what level the treatment is being doled out... but can we narrow it down to a given range? I always walk away feeling comfortable that I've more than compensated the favor, but I always have this one corner of "hmmmmm" in my mind that the staff is scoffing at my tip after I leave.

u.e.

I always wonder that, too. I think it depends on what was comped, the reason (if there is one) and to a certain degree, the price of the bill. I would have liked to have tipped more after our meal at Per Se (more like 50%, we were that happy) but on an absolute-cost basis, I just couldn't do it.

The flip side of this is that some years ago, working as a consultant and traveling, some companions and I had one of the most error-laden, horrible meals ever. But the wait staff was incredibly gracious about it, and ended up comping a large portion of the meal. The bill ended up coming to $50 or so (it would have been maybe $100 or so). We tipped $150.

I want pancakes! God, do you people understand every language except English? Yo quiero pancakes! Donnez moi pancakes! Click click bloody click pancakes!

As a rule, when I am comped part or most of my meal because the house screwed up, I tip (generously, as I always do) on what would have been the full amount of the meal; I don't want the servers to lose anything just because the house didn't charge me. And as I say, I tip generously, but probably not more than 25-30% really.

In the case of the incident I posted to start this thread, I was actually startled that they would do that - take me back in for a second sitting, and not charge me anything. In that case, I decided to share my "good fortune" with the staff, that is to say, rather than tip on the value of what they served us, which was twenty dollars, I just left a $20 bill on the table. Several of the waiters came running to thank us on the way out.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

• 8 months later...

I am reviving this thread only to note the ridiculous frequency with which I get comped desserts, wine, after-dinner drinks, lots of stuff when I eat alone at bars in restaurants. I'd honestly say it happens more often than not. Not places where I'm a regular, either: just as frequently at places I'm visiting for the first time.

I think the largest part of it must be that I drink pretty heartily with and before dinner, which obviously is a big profit center for them. A smaller part is probably that, while my ignorance is palpable, my enthusiasm for food and drink is pretty obvious, and I'd guess they enjoy how into it I am (indeed, an ignorant enthusiast must be their ideal customer). Of course, I probably also radiate pathetic neediness.

Experiences of other habitual solo bar diners?

Edited by Sneakeater (log)

. . . . .

I think the largest part of it must be that I drink pretty heartily with and before dinner, which obviously is a big profit center for them.  A smaller part is probably that, while my ignorance is palpable, my enthusiasm for food and drink is pretty obvious, and I'd guess they enjoy how into it I am (indeed, an ignorant enthusiast must be their ideal customer).  Of course, I probably also radiate pathetic neediness.

I discount your self-described palpable ignorance, except in the sense that a good kitchen can recognize a worthy student. No one who's read your posts would dismiss you as someone who knows nothing.

More important, I think, is the your second surmise -- the interest in food and drink that you must radiate. Whether I'm alone at the bar, or at a table with like-minded enthusiasts, I've found that comps find me. It's simply a matter of a intelligent questions and comments, a good server, and an observant chef (or barkeep). Let them know that you're serious, and they'll treat you seriously.

Should that approach fail, of course, pathetic neediness is a worthy fallback.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

I am reviving this thread only to note the ridiculous frequency with which I get comped desserts, wine, after-dinner drinks, lots of stuff when I eat alone at bars in restaurants.  I'd honestly say it happens more often than not.  Not places where I'm a regular, either:  just as frequently at places I'm visiting for the first time. 

I've been comped a couple of times when I'm with others but a lot more when I dine alone. If I'm eating at the bar, a glass of champagne or wine is pretty typical. I had a conversation with the chef of this one place when he walked through the dining room and I ended up getting 3 extra courses to my tasting menu! Stuffed myself silly. :raz:

I don't drink copiously, but am often sent free drinks by the bartender. I think in hopes of encouraging me to one day become a copious drinker?

Regardless, free food and drink often shows up. I wonder how much of those plates are mistaken/extra orders that the kitchen would just throw out (or consume) instead?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I don't drink copiously, but am often sent free drinks by the bartender.  I think in hopes of encouraging me to one day become a copious drinker? 

Regardless, free food and drink often shows up.  I wonder how much of those plates are mistaken/extra orders that the kitchen would just throw out (or consume) instead?

u.e.

from experience, i'd say this happens about 50 - 75% of the time. if an extra is made of something by accident then it makes more sense to give that single item to a single person rather than to a party of people. and, mistakes/misfires happen all the time.