• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Heirloom garlic

Laurie Woolever

Am working on a story about garlic, have been considering the 'heirloom' angle. We've all heard about heirloom tomatoes, carrots, apples, et al -- I know there is heirloom garlic out there but the question is, are chefs willing to pay the $$ for it? And is there an appreciable difference in taste?

Would love to hear from anyone who swears by it, grows it, sells it, or doesn't bother with it...

Thanks!

<b>Laurie Woolever</b>

This guy is a veritable font of heirloom garlic knowledge.

Chester Aaron

I notice he's written some fiction, too, and it's at the top of the page so scroll down a bit for the garlic-related titles, links, etc. He's in NoCal and could probably hook you up with SF and wine country chefs who are 'paying the price' for the good stuff.

Other people who come to mind are a fellow named Darrell Merrill in Tulsa (I believe joiei knows him; he's a/k/a "The Tomato Guy with Garlic Breath") and Kent Whealy of Seed Savers.

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Laurie,

I wrote a garlic piece several years ago and found the Garlic Seed Foundation very helpful. Sorry I have no time to find contact info.

Our local garlic god is Stan Crawford who wrote "The Garlic Testament". He's on the board of the Santa Fe Farmers Market and might know which local chefs are using the heirloons, their fax is: (505) 982- 3126. Good Luck!

A local nursery started carrying garlic that can be planted in our high desert/high altitude area in the spring and will be ready to harvest in the fall. I tried it last year with great results. I learned there is absolutely no comparison to using garlic fresh out of the garden as opposed to the dried husks commonly available in the supermarket.

Unfortunately, even the nursery doesn't know the name of the garlic. Fortunately for me, I kept back some cloves and planted them this year. I called the nursery today and she said they ordered more of the garlic last fall, but the supplier didn't come through. I'm going to take very good care of my garlic plants and save some over again this fall for spring planting.

I don't know how aware chefs are when it comes to heirloom garlic, or even the wonderful quality of garlic fresh from the garden. I feel privileged to have the chance to grow and cook with my own garlic.

Linda

I learned there is absolutely no comparison to using garlic fresh out of the garden as opposed to the dried husks commonly available in the supermarket. 

Amen to that. Some friends and I planted about 10 different kinds a few years back and had a garlic tasting. Pretty hard-core but it did help to decide what we preferred and what did well in our climate.

I also have noticed in the past few years that the regular, commercial garlic (coming mostly from Gilroy, I suspect) hasn't been dried properly or adequately, and starts sprouting much faster than in the past. Definitely inspiration to grow your own.

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

Have you heard of Filaree Farms? They carry a huge selection of heirloom garlics. I ordered several varieties from them to plant in my garden last fall. I can't comment on how those different varieties taste until they're ready to harvest this summer. Add me to the list of people who finds that home-grown garlic has far superior taste to the store-bought kind. Plus, you can harvest the green tops and use them like chives in your cooking.

April

edited for grammar

Edited by azureus (log)

One cantaloupe is ripe and lush/Another's green, another's mush/I'd buy a lot more cantaloupe/ If I possessed a fluoroscope. Ogden Nash

• 1 month later...

:angry:

I bought some beautiful heirloom garlic at the farmer's market yesterday morning. I roasted four heads (small heads, varietal = "Music") lovingly in very expensive EVOO in a terra cotta roaster. This was supposed to be used on baguette slices with my stuffed lasagna.

Well, we nibbled so much during cooking and had such big salads (microgreens, endive, goat cheese, candied pecans - YUM!) that we decided to forgo the bread. And somehow I totally spaced and left the garlic sitting on the counter in it's roaster all night. I've just discovered it and put it into the fridge, but... I'm worried.

I know there's some danger of botulism from room-temp garlic-and-oil preparations. I believe I remember from school that the danger is from storing raw garlic in oil without refrigeration or benefit of adding acid to the mixture.

Keeping in mind that mine is cooked rather than raw - should I throw it out? It'll break my heart, but I don't want to accidentally give myself a botox treatment, either.

It was probably at room temperature about 13 hours.

Marsha Lynch aka "zilla369"

Has anyone ever actually seen a bandit making out?

Uh-huh: just as I thought. Stereotyping.

Keeping in mind that mine is cooked rather than raw - should I throw it out?  It'll break my heart, but I don't want to accidentally give myself a botox treatment, either.

When in doubt, toss it out. I feel your pain, having done exactly the same thing more than once myself, but live to eat another day.

M.F.K. Fisher

I bought some beautiful heirloom garlic at the farmer's market yesterday morning.  I roasted four heads (small heads, varietal = "Music") lovingly in very expensive EVOO in a terra cotta roaster.  This was supposed to be used on baguette slices with my stuffed lasagna.

Well, we nibbled so much during cooking and had such big salads (microgreens, endive, goat cheese, candied pecans - YUM!) that we decided to forgo the bread.  And somehow I totally spaced and left the garlic sitting on the counter in it's roaster all night.  I've just discovered it and put it into the fridge, but... I'm worried.

I know there's some danger of botulism from room-temp garlic-and-oil preparations.  I believe I remember from school that the danger is from storing raw garlic in oil without refrigeration or benefit of adding acid to the mixture.

Keeping in mind that mine is cooked rather than raw - should I throw it out?  It'll break my heart, but I don't want to accidentally give myself a botox treatment, either.

Eh, its fine. I leave garlic oil with a few bulbs in out for weeks at a time with no ill effect. The oil protects it from any nasties and the cooked garlic kills all the botulism.

PS: I am a guy.