• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Which new books are on the horizon?

jgm

I recently finished "Eating my Words" by Mimi Sheraton, and loved it.  Highly recommended.

Ditto! I just finished it as well and found it a most, most enjoyable read.

Then I read:

"Blue Trout and Black Truffles: The Peregrinations of an Epicure" by Joseph Wechsberg (I'm not entirely sure who he is, but I know I've read another book of his, a biography of Giuseppe Verdi). The Bluet Trout book is utterly, utterly delightful, and highly recommended.

He lived in the early and mid 20th century, and his culinary tales of European dining are just wonderful. I discovered it browsing some book site - I don't remember which- and couldn't have loved it more. There are several chapters on "boiled beef" that are just fascinating!

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

There's an obscure online bookseller with thousands of culinary titles, (not Powells) and for the life of me I can't remember the name or find it at the moment!

would it be jessica's biscuit? love them! fast delivery, great selection and sometimes, free coffee beans!

No, and it's driving me crazy! They refer to the various sections of their site as "aisles", and as I say, the've got billions of food books.

You may be thinking of Powells. They have the concept of "aisles". I noticed they have 189 pages of used books under "cooking and food"

http://www.powells.com/usedbooks/CookingandFood.1.html

"Did you see what Julia Child did to that chicken?" ... Howard Borden on "Bob Newhart"