• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Eating in the UK

Corrinne, and others have been helping here but the 4 men in the family keep getting in the way of plans, they have nothing to offer and not a clue.

Here's what I need: Hotels? Jury's in Boston had a cool little resturant (actually had my grandfathers picure on the wall) so I'm thinking Jury's for both Dublin and Edinbourgh. Given the ages of my kids(21,15 and 12) on this trip I can do a few nights out with the hubby. In Edinbough, In Dublin..high end and good food. I've stopped counting at this point as how much this is going to cost...It's gonna be a good one...Anyone know of a B&B halfway between Dublin and Shannon? I have to have the kids do the tourist thing, but does this mean I have to starve? Or, please, not have really crappy tourist food. First trip was cheap, this one we're ready. I want to satisfy everyone this this trip, because I can see it'll b the last time we'll all be together (without wives, etc. )...save me.

To get back to food..remember, Dublin and Edinbourgh.

Edited by highchef (log)

Corrinne, and others have been helping here but the 4 men in the family keep getting in the way of plans, they have nothing to offer and not a clue.

Here's what I need: Hotels? Jury's in Boston had a cool little resturant (actually had my grandfathers picure on the wall) so I'm thinking Jury's for both Dublin and Edinbourgh. Given the ages of my kids(21,15 and 12) on this trip I can do a few nights out with the hubby. In Edinbough, In Dublin..high end and good food. I've stopped counting at this point as how much this is going to cost...It's gonna be a good one...Anyone know of a B&B halfway between Dublin and Shannon? I have to have the kids do the tourist thing, but does this mean I have to starve? Or, please, not have really crappy tourist food. First trip was cheap, this one we're ready. I want to satisfy everyone this this trip, because I can see it'll b the last time we'll all be together (without wives, etc. )...save me.

To get back to food..remember, Dublin and Edinbourgh.

Jury's in Ireland is a hellish hotel chain. Not quite sure where Edinborough[sic] is, but if it's Scotland's capital you're referring to (and if they have a Jury's there) it'll undoubtedly be just as bad.

I've stayed in a number of Jury's hotels in the UK and in Belfast and found them to be perfectly adequate for the price. Decent sized rooms, comfortable beds and perfectly fine bathrooms. You'll definately find places with more character and you definately won't want to eat in the restaurants but where on earth "hellish" "vile" and "crap" comes from I don't know. Perhaps everyone else on this board only ever stays in the Savoy!

For what it's worth, the Jury's group sometimes has good deals, but I doubt that holds true for the summer. A friend's brother had a good stay at the one in South Ken and for a bargain price, but it was a November trip.

I know a very good B&B, but it's in Galway a bit of a ride from Shannon. It has lovely views of Connemara Bay. If at all convenient for your trip, just ask for the name.

I have never stayed at the Savoy. :-)

A small point, if I may...

Judging from the thread title, you might be of the (not uncommon) belief that Dublin (and the Irish republic in general) is part of the UK. It isn't, and awareness of that may ensure you don't have any "awkward" moments in some country pubs! Apologies if you already knew this.

I didn't realise Jury's had such a bad reputation in the UK. Interesting. I'm not really sure how the Irish version rates as a hotel, but be aware that Jury's Hotel in Ballsbridge is the "real" hotel, and the various Jury's Inns (Christchurch, Custom House Quay etc.) are a step down. In any case, Jury's would not be renowned for their culinary prowess.

I'm not sure where to recommend for hotels. A lot hinges on budget, to be honest. Apart from that, do you want to stay somewhere *really* central/a short walk from the city centre, a large chain/somewhere more intimate?

Si

Edited by Simon_S (log)

I've stayed in a number of Jury's hotels in the UK and in Belfast and found them to be perfectly adequate for the price. Decent sized rooms, comfortable beds and perfectly fine bathrooms. You'll definately find places with more character and you definately won't want to eat in the restaurants but where on earth "hellish" "vile" and "crap" comes from I don't know. Perhaps everyone else on this board only ever stays in the Savoy!

Some of us might have standards :hmmm:

I'll reiterate, the Jurys hotels are crap, one step up from a Travelodge and two away from a cardboard box.

There are plenty independent boutique style hotels in Edinburgh offering a high quality product for similar money.

There are plenty independent boutique style hotels in Edinburgh offering a high quality product for similar money.

I know you are right - I'm sure highchef would be delighted if you could supply details.

(My two cents - avoid The Point at all costs.)

I'm not really anyone's keeper :hmmm: , however, this is a good starting point.

www.townhousecompany.com

Oh and it's a small chain, just mentioned this before all the pedants came crawling out.

Edited by Mike Hunt (log)

Highchef

I was away, so only getting to this now. As Simon mentioned, the main Jury's Hotel is iin Ballsbridge, which is actually a stroll from town, so probably not what you're after. The Jury's Inns hotels are not only a lot cheaper, but in better locations for your purposes. The one at Christchurch would make a good no frills base, and your merry men will probably thank you for keeping them close to Dublin's hotspots.

Just down the street from the hotel you will find Les Freres Jacques (old style French, excellent cheese), and Eden (famous for its smokies), which are mid-priced restaurants with lunch and early bird/table d'hote menus. For cheaper eats, you have the wonderfully popular Gruel (a different roast in a roll every day), and also Zaytoon (a Persian kebab joint0. You are close also to the Mermaid (try the crabcakes), for a very reasonable lunch menu, and L'Gueuleton (Toulouse sausage, blanquette, etc) is around the corner off Georges St. Another lunch spot not too far away is La Maison des Gourmets (wonderful bread and pastries), close to the Powercourt Townhouse Centre, and also upstairs in Avoca on Suffolk Street is good for a light lunch or tea and cakes. If you were to do one restaurant for dinner without the children, I would suggest Chapter One. Try their charcuterie trolley if it's on, otherwise the Fish Plate starter. You could also just go for the pre-theatre menu here and book tickets for the Gate Theatre nearby, making it a special night out. If you want, you could do some good formal eating at exceptional value during the day if you go for the lunch menu at Restaurant Patrick Guilbaud, Thornton's or L'Ecrivain.

There's more information on these on the Eating in Ireland thread, but when I get a chance, I'll start a Good Value Lunch and Earlybird Menu thread, because this seems to be one of the most frequently asked questions.

Thanks everyone, sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

I've mixed feelings about the hotels, and probably should be looking at more B@B's. Trouble is, I need to be centrally located in Dublin and Excuse my previous mispelling, Edinburgh.

What do you know of the Hyde park Hilton in London?

btw, yes. I know Ireland is not part of the UK, and they use euro's while GB is still on the English pound. It was not intended to read as though I were a total idiot!! But if you think Jury's is crap, I have to tell you the places I've stayed in Ireland and England and Scotland before were set up by a discount tour guide, and they were really truly big time crap. I'd rather go with a decent chain than go through that again. Just need the decent chain!!

While we can afford 4 star, I'd rather spend the money on goodies..if it were just dh and myself it would be different, but I'm afraid the boys won't give a rat's butt. I've spent hours and hours chasing chains around the area, as well as tips from travel sites.

Thanks for the resturant suggestions, I've copied and pasted to my file.

we leave on the 18th, I'll post my findings (especially on Jury's, I know we'll be staying there in Dublin) and where we lit in London and Scotland. Cheers. Patty

after checking with the above links, they have nothing to offer on the dates I need, however it led to me googling and spending my entire afternoon on checking out 'boutique hotels' which arn't cheap...they arn't out of my price range however, and since I'm paid up in Clifton, and for the tickets..well it is our last 3 days. you can check this out the

scotsman hotel it requires (is it the kids?...please tell me!) 3 rooms and will cost about 2 grand for 3 nights. I've really not decided. I've tried the others, and have stayed at the grassmarket hotel (not bad, and not really that cheap as it turns out, but loud). I must decide at some point quickly. I've stayed longer at more expensive hotels, but honestly it seems a waste while dragging kids. BUT. We are spending the last of our time here, and I truly love the city and would like a nice place to roost. Why is it that I keep thanking God that I've paid next year's tution already???

Patty

I do not mean to come off as cheap, because I'm not. I just want the biggest bang for the buck because I'm still raising kids and don't know what tomorrow will bring.

Edited by highchef (log)

Highchef - just athought re Edinburgh places to stay (and London) - have you had a look at the Alastair Sawdays special places to stay website (just google it)? They often have good recommendations for B and B's which are centrally located and some of which are very much like boutique hotels but a lot cheaper - some I even think allow you to effectively rent out a whole appartment for a couple of days - might be an option with a big family?

You can't see the full review on the website but it does give links to the places own websites.

I've had extremely good luck with Alastair Sawday in the past, across a broad range of places. I love the way the reviews are written. Some great euphemisms. If they mention that the owner is quirky, they generally mean bonkers, which adds to the appeal.

Edited by Corinna Dunne (log)