• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Good coffee in Cleveland

I am going to spending a month in Cleveland this summer and am a coffee addict. my mother doesn't touch the stuff and my dad only drinks instant. 2 years ago the beginning of my trip I picked up a Toddy cold brew system (to take back to Japan) and last summer I convinced my brother to pick one up (now at his house in Michigan though). I know after a couple mornings of instant coffee I will be craving something good.

Last summer I picked up iced coffees at both Dunkin Donuts and Starbucks....

Is there anything better? sit in or take out

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Kris --

Caribou Coffee is not bad -- not sure if there's one near where you'll be staying.

City Roast is a coffee stand at the West Side Market -- we buy a pound of whole beans there each week. They also offer a nice selection of teas. You can, of course, get a cup to go.

Laurie

Kris --

Caribou Coffee is not bad -- not sure if there's one near where you'll be staying.

City Roast is a coffee stand at the West Side Market -- we buy a pound of whole beans there each week.  They also offer a nice selection of teas.  You can, of course, get a cup to go.

Laurie

Caribou! I forgot about them, there is one in the Cedar-Green Heinen's, I think there was one in the Shaker Heinen's as well. I always walked past but never gave tehm a try.

I had a really good cup of coffee at the West Side Market last year, I had no idea of the name of the shop though, it was sort in a back corner. This may have been it.

I swear by the Wild Bean coffee sold at BP gas stations. And I'm picky about this stuff.

Caribou is ok, I like Arabica better.

This is great news!

To get from my parent's house to anywhere I have to drive past a BP.

Good, I'm glad to help! be careful, it's very, very hot!

It's serve yourself, and they have cream, sugar, and flavor enhancers, if you like. I just get mine black with sugar. Hope you enjoy.

---------------------------------------

I have not been to all of these places, but they are close by Clv. Hghts, Shaker area.

I buy my beans from a local specialty coffee roaster in Willoughby.

http://www.daybreakcc.com

Phoenix Coffee Co

2287 Lee Rd, Cleveland, OH

(216) 932-8227

Java Jive

2481 Dysart Rd, University Heights, OH

(216) 321-5500

Algebra Tea House

2136 Murray Hill Rd, Cleveland, OH

(216) 421-9007

Kamikaze Coffee Shop & Deli

4630 Warrensville Center Rd, Cleveland, OH

(216) 663-2895

Deweys Fair Trade Coffee Cafe - 13201 Shaker Square

I haven't been to the Phoenix coffee on Lee, but they used to have one on the west side near where I live. Good stuff.

Algebra Tea is also quite good, although I haven't been there in a little while (don't get out to the east side as much as I used to).

Although BP's coffee is good in a pinch, it's not great by any stretch of the imagination.

How is the daybreak coffee, improvchef44? I know a couple of folks who buy alot from them and they swear buy it. I might have to make a trip out there before work sometime.

Day break is amazing cuz John is doing real special stuff like aged sumatra=rare and aged others that I can't remember names of (tanzanean i think). Plus he roasts to oder so when I call him with my order he roasts it right then and I pick it up. I usually prefer a darker roast while many like a medium roast. I think he hand cranks the roaster so it's a real art. No automatic settings. he's a pro. ke told me last week he plans to get more into the rare stuff and expanding the marketing of organic coffee features.