• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New York trip

Snowy is dead

I've decided to treat myself to a trip to New York City. I've never been and am looking forward to checking out the cocktail and restaurant scene. So far the bars that I plan on hitting are the Pegu club and Flatiron lounge. As a new fan to the world of vintage cocktails/spirits, are there any others I shouldn't miss? I'm going for (only) three days, but I plan to cram a lot of cocktails into that time...

Thanks any suggestions.

Cheers

Sean

OFFS, Oh the bounty. I am going to list a bunch, no order.

Milk & Honey

Pegu

Little Branch

Flatiron

E.O.

East side Co.

Allright now, for a good time as well,

Red Rock West (have an extra shirt)

Motor city

Lucky Jacks

more too come...

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

• 2 weeks later...
How does one get into Milk and Honey?  Is that the same bar I keep seeing that you must know someone?

Looks like the secret number is not so secret anymore:

New York Metro

I wonder if this means that the other number is the one to call for "insiders" or if they're going to change their number again.

The milk & honey number seems to change monthly. The same team owns Milk & Honey, Little Branch, and Employees Only, so you can't go wrong at any of them.

I'd add going for cocktails at 202 Nicole Fahri, where Stefan Trummer and another member of this forum run the bar. Also try Brandy Library, but best to go early in the week as they get way crowded Thurs-Sat.

And its perfectly safe and practical to take the subway late at night - you won't be the only merry-makers aboard, save for the bankers so late heading home!

Being a complete newbie to New York, are these bars open late, or do they close earlier than the average night spot? In my area 1AM is pretty much the limit. You can get an extra hour in Boston but not eveywhere. I'd hate to miss any of these because I was screwing around drinking a guiness and eating a burger.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm filling out those extra credit card applications as we speak to finace this...

Sean

Sean, most of these places are open until around 2 AM on weeknights and 4 AM on weekends. Keep in mind that some of them (Milk & Honey, for example) are cash only.

--

• 5 weeks later...

Well, I leave tomorrow for my little trip to NY. Planning on hitting (space and time allowing, of course) Little Branch, Pegu, Flatiron, Flute, and hopefully Milk and Honey. The only dinner we have planned so far is at Veritas. I'm sure I will see more, and I know there is one or two that I can't remember right now. I'll be the guy asking all sorts of questions with that "I've never been to New York" face on.

Well, I leave tomorrow for my little trip to NY.  Planning on hitting (space and time allowing, of course) Little Branch, Pegu, Flatiron, Flute, and hopefully Milk and Honey.  The only dinner we have planned so far is at Veritas.  I'm sure I will see more, and I know there is one or two that I can't remember right now.  I'll be the guy asking all sorts of questions with that "I've never been to New York" face on.

Found this very cool site from Jameson Whiskey!

I note you are limiting yourself to the more recent and trendy spots.

definitely suggest you look into some of the old "classics" --Bemelman's, The King Cole, White Horse etc.

:wink:

World's best bars

Just got back from New York last night. Amazingly big place, and I had a great time. We stayed in the Hotel Pennsylvania. Nose bleed rooms but a great view of the Empire State out the window.

We managed to hit Flatiron, Pegu, and East Side Co. Bar. Never made it to Milk and Honey. We got there about 7 and didn't realize they opened at 9. Whoops.

We also hit a bunch of bars:

Mustang harry (and Sally)

Triple crown

Cuba Cafe

Pinnacle bar

Blue fin

Jack Dempsey

Flute

Grammercy Tavern

Maggie Mees

Gotham bar

Stout

St. Marks Place

Croxleys

we had a nice lunch at Gotham Bar and Grille on Tuesday. The food was very good, and we enjoyed the $25 price fixe and $25 1/2 bottles.

We had a splendid dinner at Veritas on Monday. A friend of mine used to work there, so we got a very generous hook up. A Granbussia Barolo riserva '96 was unbelievable.

Our favorite was the Flatiron Lounge on Sunday. My girlfriend absolutely loved the Bejing Peach. The sample that night was the bejing, grn. apple infused vodka with (am I getting this right?) apple cider brandy, and another drink I sadly cannot remember. On the rocks with ginger. Tried the strawberry pisco marques, quite yummy. Also had a Ti Punch for the first time. We had the pleasure of meeting Ed Hamilton, who just happened to be there. He introduced us to rhum agricole and that cane syrup, which I must find. The bartender, Adam, was quite accomodating, and answered all of my innane questions. Loved the drinks, loved the atmosphere. We went back on Tuesday and tried a gin sampler, which included a pegu cocktail and something with pomegranate molasses. tasty.

Pegu club was also quite excellent. Sadly my girlfriend and I hit these bars at the tail end of a busy day of drinking, so we didn't get to try as much as I wanted to. Which was basically the whole menu. Had a pineapple pisco fizz, old cuban, jack rose, and an earl grey martini. I loved the cabinets with chas. bakers books on display and all the old bottles. What is Pimms No. 3?

Grammercy had some wonderful drinks: the spiced rum swizzle and the americana were excellent. The aperol, which I had read about here before I left, was quite tasty. The bartender was extremely gracious, ensuring we got seats even when we were only drinking. The place was very busy, and I do appreciate that.

East Side Company Bar was very cool. We walked by it twice, but it was worth it. Had a daquiri and a fruit cup. Sad to hear that Pimms in hard to get there, but the brandy-sweet vermouth-gin sub was excellent. We would have stayed longer, but my girlfriend had friends to meet at Croxleys, so off we went.

Flute was cool. Nothing like being served excellent champagne by a beautiful french girl.

We enjoyed the mojitos at Cuba Cafe also. Cool place, we tried to go back, but it was too late. Probably better for them.

What trip to New york would be complete without hotdogs from Grey's Papaya, (8th and 37th?) and a trip to Wo Hop at 3am for chinese and a beer. Chinatown is a trip. Never seen anything like that before.

Sorry to say we missed Employees only, Milk and Honey, and Little Branch. Ed Hamilton recommended the Brandy Library and Freemans, but we didn't make those either. We had plans for some of the nights, so we only had a couple of hours on each end to try places, and missed much more than we would have liked.

Thanks again to Ed Hamilton and the crews at Pegu and Flatiron for putting up with all of our questions and giving us the excellent recommendations.

Interesting liquors that I'd like to know more about:

rhum agricole

sugar cane syrup

pisco

aperol

calypso rum

apple cider brandy

how to make a jack rose that doesn't suck (pegu's was great, but I can't seem to do it...)

I had an excellent time.

What is Pimms No. 3? 

throughout the years there have been 7 Pimm's Cups (including two No 3's)

No. 1 Cup: the original, with gin base

No. 2 Cup: the original whiskey sling

No. 3 Cup: the original brandy sling

No. 3 Cup: Pimm's Winter Cup

No. 4 Cup: the original rum sling

No. 5 Cup: the original rye sling

No. 6 Cup: the original vodka sling

unfortunately only No 1 and Winter are available today...and today's Winter Cup is not made with Brandy (as far as I know)

i believe I have a picture somewhere in my archives if people are interested in seeing them

edited for accuracy

Edited by freshherbs (log)