• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Miso as an ingredient

torakris

Hi Cookwithlove - if you like to explore miso and  different ways of using miso I would highly recommend "The Book of Miso" by William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi.  Fab book - one of my favorite!  It was published in 1976 and may be hard to come by, check different sources.

Tks shinju and others and apologise for this belated reply as I was away in my ancestor's home in hainan where i cross over to shanghai, sushou and Hangzhou where I sample an array of diverse cuisine. my interest and taste bug still incline to the Japanese version for its high standard. I read the excellent kaiseki cookbook

by yoshihiro murata and will having a lengthy discussion abt its ingredients.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

• 2 months later...
http://bv-bb.net/bonvivant/cooking/recipe_02.html (Japanese only)

You can watch how a professional chef makes a marinade by clicking 映像を見る ->, in white letters in red background, located at the bottom of the above webpage.  The Bon vivant instructor, an inn owner/chef, uses a regular (apparently red) miso.  He says, "A less salty one is better."  His secret ingredient is sake lees, and he adds a large amount of sugar.  He also adds a 1:1 mixture of sake and mirin (previously heated to evaporate alcohol).  No exact amounts of the igredients are indicated.

He later adds, near the end of the video, "Saikyo miso is very sweet, and it's a little too expensive for "oyaji ryori" (middled-aged men's cooking)."  That's why he uses a regular miso and adds mirin and sugar.

Hiroyuki san, any of bonvivant or others magazine on Japanese cooking by Japanese available for subscription that you come across?

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

"Inhale the aroma before tasting and drinking, savour the goodness from the heart "

You can watch how a professional chef makes a marinade by clicking 映像を見る ->, in white letters in red background, located at the bottom of the above webpage.  The Bon vivant instructor, an inn owner/chef, uses a regular (apparently red) miso.  He says, "A less salty one is better."  His secret ingredient is sake lees, and he adds a large amount of sugar.  He also adds a 1:1 mixture of sake and mirin (previously heated to evaporate alcohol).  No exact amounts of the igredients are indicated.

He later adds, near the end of the video, "Saikyo miso is very sweet, and it's a little too expensive for "oyaji ryori" (middled-aged men's cooking)."  That's why he uses a regular miso and adds mirin and sugar.

Hiroyuki san, any of bonvivant or others magazine on Japanese cooking by Japanese available for subscription that you come across?

Subscription? I don't know of any at the moment. I'll post a link if I find one.

Subscription? I don't know of any at the moment. I'll post a link if I find one.

You can subscribe to bon vivant "meru maga" (email magazine) from here.

Click

おとなのたまり場

ボンビバン

メルマガ申込み

located near the upper right corner, and a subscription window will appear.

The problem is that you will need a Japanese friend to guide you through the subscription process.

You can subscribe to bon vivant "meru maga" (email magazine) from here.

Click

おとなのたまり場

ボンビバン

メルマガ申込み

located near the upper right corner, and a subscription window will appear.

The problem is that you will need a Japanese friend to guide you through the subscription process.

Thank Hiroyuki san, you right lost in the process. Anyway superb video learn alots in such a short space of time. Very educational always admire the rich Japanese culture!

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

Hi Cookwithlove - if you like to explore miso and  different ways of using miso I would highly recommend "The Book of Miso" by William Shurtleff and Akiko Aoyagi.  Fab book - one of my favorite!  It was published in 1976 and may be hard to come by, check different sources.

Shinju I think our national Library here in Singapore have the book on miso recommended by you. Thanks anyway.

主泡一杯邀西方. 馥郁幽香而湧.三焦回转沁心房

• 2 months later...

Konnyaku and miso really seem to go together quite well. A couple nights ago I sauteed some konnyaku with daikon greens and added a miso sauce made with brown miso, sake, soy sauce and sugar).

gallery_6134_4148_284810.jpg

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

• 2 weeks later...
Konnyaku and miso really seem to go together quite well. A couple nights ago I sauteed some konnyaku with daikon greens and added a miso sauce made with brown miso, sake, soy sauce and sugar).

gallery_6134_4148_284810.jpg

Ohhh, that looks very good. How long did you saute after adding the miso sauce?

Ohhh, that looks very good.  How long did you saute after adding the miso sauce?

Just a minute or so, until most of the liquid evaporated.

My MIL called me a week after I served this to ask for the recipe... :biggrin:

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

I saw a recipe (in a manga I'll admit) for egg yolks pickled in a bed of miso. I really want to try it. Anyone heard of such a thing?

Cover 6-inch square container bottom with 1-inch red miso. Make 4 depressions.

Boil four 3-minute eggs (soft boil), carefully remove yolks unbroken and place each yolk in miso depressions with the large end of an egg into the miso. Cover with a layer of cheesecloth and top with more miso. Ready in 1 1/2 to 2 days.

did it. I only used raw egg yolks from 地玉子 local eggs (30¥ a piece). very good results for a first try. The texture was like cheese and the taste was similar to the miso. I kept these in the miso for 48 hours, next time I will try 24. Delicious, I will make these again. They would be good as part of another dish too.

gallery_23727_2765_8637.jpg

gallery_23727_2765_1688.jpg

I browsed through several sites and found some even said that miso-pickled yolks tasted better than uni (sea urchin). :blink:

This one is hilarious. This guy tried "sauce", yakiniku no tare, ajinomoto (MSG), ika no shiokara, mayo, and yogurt instead of miso.

He says that the ones pickled in ika no shiokara were the best and the ones in mayo and yogurt didn't set.

As for me, I wonder what John did with the whites of his expensive eggs.

did it. I only used raw egg yolks from 地玉子 local eggs (30¥ a piece). very good results for a first try. The texture was like cheese and the taste was similar to the miso. I kept these in the miso for 48 hours, next time I will try 24. Delicious, I will  make these again. They would be good as part of another dish too.

Those eggs look great John. Congrats on your first try. Living in US I'm too scared to use raw eggs.

One time I pickled some tofu in miso thinking mom would like it. Her expression was nothing but disgust at the taste. I loved it myself though. I may have kept them in too long - it was like 1 week. Like your eggs, my tofu also tasted similar to cheese.