• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

delish pinot for the $

chefboy24

since pinot noir is my new love.

and i can't afford chambertin on a daily basis.....

what are yoor fav pinots for the $?

today on my day off i am enjoying a wonderful 2002 reserve cristom, willamette valley.

totally red cherry strawberry raspberry. even cookie dough. i always heard this descriptor but never believed it for myself. but if you close your eyes, this pinot is totally cookie dough in the finish. delish!!

$40.....

but castle rock carneros for $12 is pretty darn good too.

also nicholas potel's generic bourgogne is delish for $17. blacker fruit. but delish

your thoughts?

Try the Saintsbury Garnet. It's always solid at about $18.

My latest favorite is the Domaine Serene Yamhill Cuvée 2003. A bit pricier at around $34, but it's so concentrated and delicious it's worth it. A really BIG Pinot Noir, very silky and luscious.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I was quite impressed recently by Ninth Island PN from Tasmania, at £9 a bottle. It was fairly burgundian in style - a bit short but what can we expect at this price. Certainly much better value than most of the New Zealand PN I've had. Don't know if you can get it in the US but I guess it would be $15-18.

One burgundy appellation that often produces decent stuff at that sort of price is Mercurey and red Chassagne Montrachet can be a bargain if you don't mind your burgundy a bit more rustic than fruity.

At the risk of slipping into the $10 plonk thread, La Vis pinot nero has been a good bargain find at $10.50 at my local geeky wine shop. Its all fruit but bright and not candied or super extracted and with good balancing acidity. With no oak to get in the way it is the kind of fun sipper you can drink by the bottle but has enough pinot fruit character to make it interesting. Cantina La Vis

My brother work at a wine shop in SF while going to grad school and tells me they have another northern Italian Pinot for around $15 that is flying out of the store and getting lots of repeat buys. He has promised me a bottle for comparison and I will post if I get to sample it.

On the $40 is cheap compared to Burg. pricing, I was impressed recently with the basic Domain Drouhin oregon Pinot a few weeks back. Nice earthy character that would have made me guess France not Oregon.

These days for value in lighter bodied reds, I have been drinking some super tasty gamay. Not the same as pinot of course, but serious cru Beujolais is tasty and can be nice and complex around $20. My current fave is 2001 Granger Cuvee Speciale from Julienas.