• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Looking for a great bakery with "normal" items.

Every couple of months I make a trip into Vancouver and hit the restaurant supply shops and some of the wonderful bakeries you have. My husband has been asking for things like Eclairs and Napoleons, as well as chocolate croissants. I know the chocolate croissants have been covered in this forum but can someone please recommend a good place for the other items? Preferably in the downtown area or close to. I usually go to places like Pane de Heaven and Ganache Patisserie and I don't recall them having the simpler fare.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

Every couple of months I make a trip into Vancouver and hit the restaurant supply shops and some of the wonderful bakeries you have. My husband has been asking for things like Eclairs and Napoleons, as well as chocolate croissants. I know the chocolate croissants have been covered in this forum but can someone please recommend a good place for the other items? Preferably in the downtown area or close to. I usually go to places like Pane de Heaven and Ganache Patisserie and I don't recall them having the simpler fare.

Perhaps you will drive down Hastings Street so you might want to check out this bakery on your way to the supply shops. I came across it when I went to the Mexican place close by, I was surprised, it reminded me of bakeries in days gone by, the type you don't often see any longer. Had quite a large selection, was a fairly big shop.

"If cookin' with tabasco makes me white trash, I don't wanna be recycled."

courtesy of jsolomon

Had quite a large selection, was a fairly big shop.

How was the quality? I seem to recall this bakery being mentioned in a thread about Diplomat cakes.

The quality of what I bought was very good, I didn't buy much though, time was tight, we had an appointment. However, the clientele and the number tab machine (like they have at Cioffi's (sp?) helped tell the tale, it seems like a nice local establishment that has stood the test of time. It was well staffed and looked really clean, and the assortment of items was wide and varied. They even offered the little one a cookie, one like my mum used to make. :smile:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

courtesy of jsolomon

The quality of what I bought was very good, I didn't buy much though, time was tight, we had an appointment.  However, the clientele and the number tab machine (like they have at Cioffi's (sp?) helped tell the tale, it seems like a nice  local establishment that has stood the test of time.  It was well staffed and looked really clean, and the assortment of items was wide and varied.  They even offered the little one a cookie, one like my mum used to make.  :smile:

Thanks for the mini-review. It's fairly close to us, so I'll have to check it out some time. I definitely have a soft spot for this type of bakery, and for places like Notte's.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Oh, how could I've forgotten this one, I think this might be quite close to where you are going, this bakery is awesome! Definitely worth your time to check it out. :wub:

courtesy of jsolomon

I definitely have a soft spot for this type of bakery, and for places like Notte's.

I know what you mean, and I remember Notte's from when it was on Granville, that was the best. Yes, the old world bakeries are to be appreciated, disappearing (munched up, often by a certain company that has a place across from the one in my prior post) far too quickly, like the one on Blundell in Richmond that a fellow egulleter remembered. :smile:

courtesy of jsolomon

Well it seems that you're slanted towards French pastry goods, but Fratelli's on Commercial Drive has an excellent selection of various Italian ones.

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Well it seems that you're slanted towards French pastry goods, but Fratelli's on Commercial Drive has an excellent selection of various Italian ones.

Seems as if we think alike . :smile:

Edited by ~cayenne~ (log)

courtesy of jsolomon

Had quite a large selection, was a fairly big shop.

How was the quality? I seem to recall this bakery being mentioned in a thread about Diplomat cakes.

The quality of what I bought was very good, I didn't buy much though, time was tight, we had an appointment. However, the clientele and the number tab machine (like they have at Cioffi's (sp?) helped tell the tale, it seems like a nice local establishment that has stood the test of time. It was well staffed and looked really clean, and the assortment of items was wide and varied. They even offered the little one a cookie, one like my mum used to make. :smile:

Valley is a really "old school" bakery ... in that it's been baking the same items since my grandma took me there when I was a kid. They still have huge line-ups on Saturay morning to pick up their fresh Portuguese buns, and as mentioned, the kids still get cookies from the counter sales staff.

Their birthday cakes are really good ... not excellent, but really good. I hope you like butter cream!

A.

I got a Saint-Honoré at Fratelli's the other day for my office; the place looks good, they are highly recommended, and they do have a wide selection (although I didn't notice éclairs--doesn't mean they weren't there, but I didn't notice them). The Saint-Honoré was...meh, IMO. Not bad, not great. The pastry cream was quite nice but the whipping cream had a tinge of...I don't know, but I suspected it had some kind of additive or something, it was a little reminiscent of the whipped creme product you get on an ice cream cake sometimes? and the choux pastry was not bad considering it had been refrigerated, if a little heavy on the bottom. I probably wouldn't buy another.

What surprised me about the shop was all the "flans" they have in the case...which are various tarts of the frangipane and linzer variety (shallow, fruits baked into the crust or the frangipane or similar), no custard in evidence. So I was a bit distracted as far as noticing the whole array of goods. :raz:

Agenda-free since 1966.

Foodblog: Power, Convection and Lies

I can vouch for Valley Bakery as well, especially their key lime tarts and lemon tarts. Used to be you could only get them in summer, but now I hear they serve them on saturdays now, year round. Of course, best to get there early! YUM!

For Italian bakeries I much prefer Calabria Bakery over Fratelli's. Their website is located at: http://calabriabakery.com/

Their Sfogliatelle are the most authentic I've had in Vancouver. (Be sure to call them a day in advance to reserve some as they only have them on the weekends unless you special order them.)

In terms of standard bakery I've enjoyed several of the items from the Swiss Bakery. Their website is located at: http://swissbakery.ca/

Cheers!

Thanks for all the recommendations. I grew up a few blocks from Valley Bakery but my mom made everything so we didn't go there much. I did try a few squares from them not long ago, including a brownie and wasn't all that impressed. Maybe they're better at cakes and breads. The brownie didn't really taste like chocolate, it was just "brown". I'll look up the others that were recommended and see which fits best with the route I'm taking. Thanks again!

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

For Italian bakeries I much prefer Calabria Bakery over Fratelli's.  Their website is located at:  http://calabriabakery.com/

So that's where Calabria is. There are many places that sell their bread or use their bread for making sandwiches.. I'll have to check it out sometime. Thanks!

Oh, hehe. Didn't check check your provided link before making my post. :laugh:

One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.

Virginia Woolf

Valley Bakery is fine if you like Safeway-quality stuff (ick).

Fortuna, a block or so east, is far better. They're the ones

who supply all the local restaurants with their Portuguese buns.

And their custard tarts are the best in the west.

There's another bakery/deli farther west on Hastings, on the Vancouver

side, around Renfrew in a strip mall. Can't remember the name of it,

but very Italian. Lots of tarts, cakes (the tiramisus are apparently

first-rate), cookies, breads, etc. Very good, very authentic.

There's another bakery/deli farther west on Hastings, on the Vancouver

side, around Renfrew in a strip mall. Can't remember the name of it,

but very Italian. Lots of tarts, cakes (the tiramisus are apparently

first-rate), cookies, breads, etc. Very good, very authentic.

Italia Bakery? :biggrin:

I think that's probably the place you are referring to. It's in the mall across Hastings Street, one block west of Hastings Park/P.N.E.? It does have an excellent choice of on site made Italian baked goodies to be sure, seems very authentic, not a fancy place, but also has lots of cold deli stuff, and homemade pasta products in the freezer, plus all the Italian dry stores goods. Great place. And they make sandwiches too. :smile:

courtesy of jsolomon

I think Notte's Bon Ton would fit that bill.

I haven't had anything from there in a few years, but it's where my grandmother used to get Diplomat cakes, and IIRC they have all that typical pâtisserie.

I've never been remarkably impressed with the fare at Notte's Bon Ton. Mediocre at best, at least according to my palate.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

I think Notte's Bon Ton would fit that bill.

I haven't had anything from there in a few years, but it's where my grandmother used to get Diplomat cakes, and IIRC they have all that typical pâtisserie.

I've never been remarkably impressed with the fare at Notte's Bon Ton. Mediocre at best, at least according to my palate.

Ditto. I've only had a selection of Notte's Bon Ton pastries once, but nothing was particularly good. Some things were better than others, but all very average. You get what you pay for.

Italia, that's it (I thought it was too obvious to be!).

I love their Baci cookies, yum.

Surprised to hear Fratelli's is not up to par. I used to

make a trip there specifically for the St. Honore cakes

because they were the best I'd ever tasted. Sad to

hear they're slipping (I haven't been in a while). Thought

I heard the original owners had sold, so maybe that's the

problem?

I'll second (or third?) Italia Bakery, especially they're cookies and pastries. I don't think you'll find a more convenient location, considering that they're about a minute off the highway.

Out of interest, Nikuya Meats (Japanese butcher) is located next door to the Italia Bakery, so you might want to take a look inside there as well.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Out of interest, Nikuya Meats (Japanese butcher) is located next door to the Italia Bakery, so you might want to take a look inside there as well.

Nikuya used to do fresh fried chicken karaage and pork tonkatsu - but I think they stopped. It was the perfect minimall meal - Deep Fried Japanese Meat, then Cream Filled Italian Patries, chased down my a large soda from Petro-Canada. A perfect Hastings Street Moment. :laugh:

Yes, I was going to mention Nikuya Meats too, hum'd 'nd haw'd to myself if I should....... thought it was such a great discovery also. Two great little shops in that little strip mall, with the Gourmet Castle and Tom & Jerry's too! :biggrin:

courtesy of jsolomon