• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Valrhona in Canada

Qualifirst used to carry Valrhona but now carry on Cluizel and Callebaut. Lentia is the exclusive distributor of Valrhona in Ontario I believe.

"Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where all the fruit is?" -Frank Scully

I just checked the Qzina site in Toronto (www.qzina.com)and it doesn't list Valrhona, however neither does the Vancouver site in their catalogue. So it may be something you need to call and ask about (888-816-6696), I'm trying to recall if I have seen it in the Toronto store.

The Lentia site claims to be the exclusive distributor for Ontario. It appears there is a branch in Mississauga (www.lentia.com)

The Qualifirst website shows they still carry the Valrhona. Whether it is the exclusive stuff, old stock or otherwise is the big question.

Far Met is their Vancouver branch.

Far Met in Vancouver no longer carries Valrhona. Not sure if that means Qualifirst likely does not carry it either?

Support your local farmer

Currently reading:

The Art of Simple Food by Alice Waters

Just finished reading:

The 100-Mile Diet by Alisa Smith & J. B. MacKinnon

Yeah! Just made the LONG ( !! ) read: 9 minute journery to Mississauga, Ontario and yes Lentia does carry Valrhona. In fact they said that they are the exclusive Valrhona dist. in Ontario. They gave me samples of all their Valrhona stuff and here's what I felt after tasting them:

Tanariva Milk 33 % - Smooth, less sweet than Callebaut Milk.

Caraibe 66 % - Nothing great, tasted like Lindt semisweet couverture.

Manjari 64% - Phenomenal taste, smooth, exceptionally fruity, bitter but not too bitter. However, as a filling it would overpower all my flavourings and on it's own, may not appeal to everyone who wants a 'dark' chocolate truffle. Not suitable for a coating IMO.

Guanaja 70% - Very good for 70%. Bitter without an after taste.

Equatoriale 55% - WOW!!! I want to coat a batch of truffles with this stuff now! Smooth, good balance of bitter and sweet, no after taste and will not overpower other flavourings. Loved it.

White ( Not sure what they call it ) - Amazing! Much better than Lindt or Callebaut. Very smooth.

Are these expert opinions?? NO!! Just those of a math teacher who likes to dabble in chocolate. Anyway, here are the super amazing prices in Canadian dollars:

All the above are pretty much $ 61.00 for the callets for a 3 kg bag. I think that's a steal. Do visit http://www.lentia.com/ and check them out. Any thoughts / comments by those who have used Valrhona chocolate before? Thanks so much

Yeah! Just made the LONG ( !! ) read: 9 minute journery to Mississauga, Ontario and yes Lentia does carry Valrhona. In fact they said that they are the exclusive Valrhona dist. in Ontario. They gave me samples of all their Valrhona stuff and here's what I felt after tasting them:

Tanariva Milk 33 % - Smooth, less sweet than Callebaut Milk.

Caraibe 66 % - Nothing great, tasted like Lindt semisweet couverture.

Manjari 64% - Phenomenal taste, smooth, exceptionally fruity,  bitter but not too bitter. However, as a filling it would overpower all my flavourings and on it's own, may not appeal to everyone who wants a 'dark' chocolate truffle. Not suitable for a coating IMO.

Guanaja 70% - Very good for 70%. Bitter without an after taste.

Equatoriale 55% - WOW!!!  I want to coat a batch of truffles with this stuff now! Smooth, good balance of bitter and sweet, no after taste and will not overpower other flavourings. Loved it.

White ( Not sure what they call it ) - Amazing! Much better than Lindt or Callebaut. Very smooth.

Are these expert opinions?? NO!! Just those of a math teacher who likes to dabble in chocolate. Anyway, here are the super amazing prices in Canadian dollars:

All the above are pretty much $ 61.00 for the callets for a 3 kg bag. I think that's a steal. Do visit http://www.lentia.com/ and check them out. Any thoughts / comments by those who have used Valrhona chocolate before? Thanks so much

Sounds like I'm going to have the make the trip to Mississauga (a bit longer than 9 minutes for me) and check it out.

I haven't ordered Valrhona from Qzina in a while, I guess they've stopped carrying it now.

Aria I totally agree that the Valrhona white chocolate is fantastic. Not too sweet and super smooth.

Edited by choux (log)

• 5 years later...

Other than ChocoDirect, are there any sources for Valrhona chocolates in larger quantities (like in 500g or 1kg) for the average consumer in Canada? ChocoDirect mostly has chocolate for eating out of hand, and the only 1kg block they have is just 61%. I'm looking for higher percentages (like 70%+, but maybe also Caraibe, etc.).

I don't want to ship from the US, but am looking for a Canadian source. I did email Lentia to see if they'd sell to the general public, but am looking for other sources, too.

Other than ChocoDirect, are there any sources for Valrhona chocolates in larger quantities (like in 500g or 1kg) for the average consumer in Canada? ChocoDirect mostly has chocolate for eating out of hand, and the only 1kg block they have is just 61%. I'm looking for higher percentages (like 70%+, but maybe also Caraibe, etc.).

I don't want to ship from the US, but am looking for a Canadian source. I did email Lentia to see if they'd sell to the general public, but am looking for other sources, too.

Did they say they would sell to the general public? If not I can get you some from them.

Vanilla Food Company in Ontario has some Valrhona, and does break down 3kg bags into smaller quantities. They do stop shipping chocolate in warm weather, which is probably soon.

Lentia is the exclusive importer of Valrhona Chocolate in Ontario, Western Canada and the Maritimes.

http://www.lentia.com

They do sell to individuals with 'freight charges' which I did not inquire about. Never heard of them before. Thanks.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Did they say they would sell to the general public? If not I can get you some from them.

They haven't emailed me back, yet (I just emailed this morning before I posted here! :smile: ). It was really warm today, so now I'm a bit worry about transporting chocolate by mail, but I'll let you know! Thanks!