• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Taro Sushi.

You do not understand? There is no money in Montreal to import fish from around the world at crazy prices on a regular basis since clients are not ready to pay for it.

There is seriously no great sushi place in Montreal, some are good but not great.

Montreal is more like France and France is not reputated for sushi restaurants. Bistro tendencies is huge in Montreal and it's what we got. As restaurant wise, Montreal is way better than São Paulo IMHO.

You do not understand? There is no money in Montreal to import fish from around the world at crazy prices on a regular basis since clients are not ready to pay for it.

It's not sushi, but I think Milo's patrons would disagree with this statement.

Face it.... You know we are all doomed when you find COSTCO selling frozen Sushi made in France. ..... Sushi has just gone too main stream. Any joker with a bowl of rice and a bamboo mat will put anything in there and name it after his cat. The last real sushi I had was in Japan town in San Francisco in a tiny 14 seat place that hade 3 tables for 2 and the rest at the bar.

I thought I knew sushi, but once you try real sushi, it is a true epiphany.

Perhaps one day, someone Japanese, who has attained the level of Sensae in Japan will actually come to Montreal and make authentic sushi. As I recollect, in Japan it takes 8 years of training before the they are christened Sensae. Perhaps this is just tradition, but sushi is more than just some fish on rice...

and if I ever see a sushi bar pushing smoked salmon and cream cheese on their menu... RUN!!!! Fast...

On a slight different side, I do have respect for Korean Sushi, which holds few pretenses, and is typically sold without raw fish or seafood. Rather, it is made with cooked shrimp, etc. and raw veggies. It took some getting used to, and for the most part the well prepared stuff is pretty good. At least you won’t be bowing to the porcelain god due to some bacteria picked up from old mis-handled raw fish.

Veni. Vidi. Voro.

gruyere, Milos is the only place in town to do so.

Sushi places brings young people as well and anyway, there is a huge difference between Milos who's the best fish place in town and there is only one like it.