• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pedro Ximenez

ulterior epicure

okay... so it's completely funny that a teetotaler is posting in this forum... excuse any serious faux pas in the following:

1. what, exactly is pedro ximenes? i know it's a sherry... and very sweet (?) - usually served as an after dinner accompinament to sweets (?)

2. is pedro ximenes a grape? or is it a name brand?

3. who makes it? that is, how many labels or producers are their.

4. i've smelled it and even had it in minute quantities in desserts. to my best knowledge and description, it tastes like prunes - or armanac?

5. alcohol content?

6. does p.x. necessarily benefit with age?

7. i had a course at a restaurant that included p.x. from 1971 - is that possible? i don't doubt the restaurant's/server's integrity or honestly... i'm just doubting my ears and/or memory...

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

okay... so it's completely funny that a teetotaler is posting in this forum... excuse any serious faux pas in the following:

1. what, exactly is pedro ximenes?  i know it's a sherry... and very sweet (?) - usually served as an after dinner accompinament to sweets (?)

2. is pedro ximenes a grape?  or is it a name brand?

3. who makes it?  that is, how many labels or producers are their.

4. i've smelled it and even had it in minute quantities in desserts.  to my best knowledge and description, it tastes like prunes - or armanac?

5. alcohol content?

6. does p.x. necessarily benefit with age?

7. i had a course at a restaurant that included p.x. from 1971 - is that possible?  i don't doubt the restaurant's/server's integrity or honestly... i'm just doubting my ears and/or memory...

u.e.

1. Pedro Ximenez is both a grape varietal and a type of sweet sherry.

2. See #1, or this entry on Wikipedia.

3. Many Sherry producers in Jerez make P.X.

4. It tastes raisiny, in my opinion.

5. It varies but about the same as your average Port or other fortified wine.

6. Most definitely but like anything else it depends on the vintage and the producer.

7. Definitely possible.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Jason got all the answers right so I'll just add my personal opinions.

It's particularly tasty as an accompaniment to foie gras or blue veined/salty cheeses like Cabrales or Gorgonzola. P.X. vinegars are also a delicacy and make a simply spectacular vinaigrette with a high grade nut oil. P.X. sherry tastes like raisins, figs or dates depending on how concentrated it is. Very sweet and maple-ey as well. It's quite unique and delicious.

We serve a grilled foie gras served on brioche French Toast dish at Amada. Pairing the P.X. with it is like having the maple syrup for the French Toast. It's the one pairing on the menu/wine list I'd stake my life on converting someone that doesn't understand the concept of a really good food and beverage pairing. It's an "A-ha!" moment waiting to happen.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks Jason and Katie! That was all very helpful.

I honestly thought that P.X. was the brand label - like Jose Cuervo is to Tequila (is that right?)... but, now knowing that P.X. is a varietal as well, I need to go back and find out who the producers were - especially of the 1971 that I had at Alinea.

Katie:

1. Using P.X. in a vinaigrette: do you first cook off the alcohol, or do you mean it to be an "adult" dressing?

2. Would it be a waste to cook off the alcohol of P.X. for those who are unable to drink - to make a thicker glaze or P.X. syrup, say to drizzle over foie gras?

Thanks again everyone!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

1. Using P.X. in a vinaigrette: do you first cook off the alcohol, or do you mean it to be an "adult" dressing?

Katie was talking about vinegar made from PX. Just like there is red vine vinegar and "regular" sherry vinegar, there is PV vinegar.

2. Would it be a waste to cook off the alcohol of P.X. for those who are unable to drink - to make a thicker glaze or P.X. syrup, say to drizzle over foie gras?

I'd say this depends on the price and quality of the PX.

--

Katie was talking about vinegar made from PX. Just like there is red vine vinegar and "regular" sherry vinegar, there is PV vinegar.

1. Can this be purchased in a regular market?

2. I'm assuming the vinegar is "sweeter" than most vinegars?

Thanks!

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

u.e., if you had some PX at Alinea (and I certainly can't fault even a usual non-drinker for doing so :biggrin:), then you're not a teetotaler. Perhaps you didn't know that a teetotaler is defined as a person who never consumes alcohol.

To sort of answer question 2, one can never cook off all the alcohol, so if your guest is unable or unwilling to consume even a tiny amount, pass on the PX. Here's some information about that.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

1. Can this [PX vinegar] be purchased in a regular market? 

2. I'm assuming the vinegar is "sweeter" than most vinegars?

1. Yes.

2. Yes, depending on how well stocked the market is. Certainly it can be found in many NYC markets, but it might be more difficult to find in, say, Nacogdoches, Texas.

--

u.e., if you had some PX at Alinea (and I certainly can't fault even a usual non-drinker for doing so  :biggrin:), then you're not a teetotaler. Perhaps you didn't know that a teetotaler is defined as a person who never consumes alcohol.
Not even if it's in "cooked form?" The P.X. I had at Alinea was in the tempura... while it may not totally have evaporated the alcohol - I wasn't actually drinking it straight... I thought perhaps the alcohol might have been cooked off.... but then your second answer sort of ruins that theory:
To sort of answer question 2, one can never cook off all the alcohol, so if your guest is unable or unwilling to consume even a tiny amount, pass on the PX. Here's some information about that.

If this is so, then I'm not a complete teetotaler...

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'm in love with a PX amontillado (Alvear Carlos VII), but I wouldn't describe it as at all sweet or raisiny, as people are describing above. Here's the tasting note (from Ric Jewell) - which has to be my favorite tasting note ever, and perfectly describes the experience of the wine.

"The nose implies butterscotch and caramel, suggesting a sweet syrup the palate with quickly deny. On the tongue salt, like soy, and an iodine tinge, like an Islay scotch or a rush of sea water, rise and rush through the mouth until the flavors of toasted hazelnut develop, lingering lightly on a protracted finish."

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

Has anyone ever tried Lustau's "San Emilio?" If so, how would you describe it? Is it on the sweeter side? I'm looking for a sweeter P.X.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

PX is alredy very sweet.

Its a desert island wine: keeps forever.

Liquid Christmas pudding.

Sherry is made in a Solera systems, where each barrel is diluted with newer wine, so the date is that of the founding of the solera.

Alvear, an PX Montilla wine from Andalucia, closely resembles Sherry but is unfortified. It attains very high alcohol levels 14-16% without fortification. Astonishingly rich, complicated and fantastic value - a 1927 Solera retails for around $15 a bottle. Even stands up to chocolate.

PX is alredy very sweet.

Its a desert island wine: keeps forever.

Liquid Christmas pudding.

Sherry is made in a Solera systems, where each barrel is diluted with newer wine, so the date is that of the founding of the solera.

Alvear, an PX Montilla wine from Andalucia, closely resembles Sherry but is unfortified. It attains very high alcohol levels 14-16% without fortification. Astonishingly rich, complicated and fantastic value - a 1927 Solera retails for around $15 a bottle. Even stands up to chocolate.

Wow - thanks jackal10! So, parlaying this to something I'm a little more familiar with, it's like balsamic vinegars... the aging can be misleading to those (like me) who are not in the know.

After reading what you posted, the fact that I had a 1971 P.X. isn't all that astounding... it sounded so impressive!! If a 1927 Solera is only $15/bottle (unless you left off a few zeroes) is a fantastic deal!

I dont' know why, but I associate sherries with being dry... I guess there's a huge difference between cooking, dry and dessert (?) sherries? Isn't Marsala a sherry? I *love* zabaglione... gee, I guess Alex is right, I'm not really a teetotaler!! :laugh:

Oh - and I'm a very bitter chocolate-eater, so I doubt I'd ever have a problem with a P.X. not standing up to it.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

I'd say this depends on the price and quality of the PX.

Sam beat me to this response. DiBruno's sells a lovely Gegenbauer PX Noble Sour Vinegar that is an excellent product. I prefer to make my PX vinaigrette with a delicate nut oil like hazelnut or pistachio. It goes really well with the vinegar.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

I'm in love with a PX amontillado (Alvear Carlos VII), but I wouldn't describe it as at all sweet or raisiny, as people are describing above.  Here's the tasting note (from Ric Jewell) - which has to be my favorite tasting note ever, and perfectly describes the experience of the wine.

"The nose implies butterscotch and caramel, suggesting a sweet syrup the palate with quickly deny.  On the tongue salt, like soy, and an iodine tinge, like an Islay scotch or a rush of sea water, rise and rush through the mouth until the flavors of toasted hazelnut develop, lingering lightly on a protracted finish."

Amontillado is always much dryer and far less sweet than a dessert PX would be. Lighter in color and viscosity as well. No comparison. Remember, Pedro Ximenez is both the name of the grape and a name for a particular style of sweet sherry, so the Alvear Carlos is an Amontillado style sherry made from PX grapes.

The usual progression of sherries in order of dryer to sweeter is:

Fino => Manzanilla => Amontillado => Palo Cortado and Dry Oloroso => Sweet Oloroso and Cream Sherry => Pedro Ximenez

There's a wealth of information about sherry production, the solera aging system and pairing of sherries with food at the Emilio Lustau website.

Katie M. Loeb

Cheers!

Amontillados, Palo Cortado and Oloroso are also made with a blend of grapes, so PX would not necessarily be the only grape used in a wine like that.

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Amontillados, Palo Cortado and Oloroso are also made with a blend of grapes, so PX would not necessarily be the only grape used in a wine like that.

Wow - I have a lot to learn... by the way, Jason, :wub: your Avatar! :wink:

Has anyone tried the San Emilio PX from Lustau?

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Wow - I have a lot to learn... by the way, Jason, :wub: your Avatar! :wink:

Has anyone tried the San Emilio PX from Lustau?

u.e.

The Lustau PX is very nice. So is the Osborne if you can find it. I also like the Sandeman as well.

The Carlos VII is unusual, as it is an all PX Amontillado, from Montilla-Moriles near Jerez de la Frontera.

Tammy's Tastings

Creating unique food and drink experiences

eGullet Foodblogs #1 and #2
Dinner for 40

The Carlos VII is unusual, as it is an all PX Amontillado, from Montilla-Moriles near Jerez de la Frontera.

Interesting, I'll have to try to find it.

Okay, sorry to belabour all of you patient folks with yet another question about P.X. - but my recent encounter was *so memorable* I haven't be able to stop thinking about it since!!! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Ahem

I'm organizing a very important dinner to fête a very special occasion. I'm looking for a sweet dessert wine to accompany my dessert - and yes, I'm in :wub: with P.X. I'd love for recommendations on a particularly good sweet P.X. - preferably one with caramel-y, prune-y, figgy, raisin-y flavors - deep and dark...

No dry. SWEET!! :raz:

Thanks!

u.e.

Edited by ulterior epicure (log)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

AE,

Does this mean your teetotal days are numbered?

Perhaps... :wink: Any suggestions

...and, it's "u.e." - as in "ulterior epicure" (no offense taken). :wink:

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account