• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

desiccants

cakesuite

Personally, I don't have a use for it currently, but at school we had a big tub filled with silica for just such a use. When we were working with sugar and meringues, we put the silica in with the pieces we were working on.

Silica on the bottom, piece supported on a rack or cardboard above.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

always use it.

used to use limestone...but i prefer the little blue balls (pardon me :blink: ), that turn pink when they have absorbed moisture and you can reactivate them by leaving them in an oven with a pilot overnight or in the microwave. it is more obvious when to dry them out. but they are more expensive.

We also use the "little blue balls" that come encased in a perforated metal box. They're great. The humidity here is formidable and these things make our tuiles and sugar and "papers" make it through dinner service every night. They get recharged in a low oven in a few hours. I'll get the ordering info at work today and pass it on.