• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mutton!

Jonathan Day

Andy, yes. And you could thank him for the caussoulet. :wink:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

• 3 years later...

bumping up this topic after reading this BBC article on mutton.

A revival of mutton could give a boost to under-pressure sheep farmers and help sustain traditional countryside life, Prince Charles has said.  The alliance is dedicated to helping farmers, butchers, restaurateurs and suppliers benefit from renewed interest in the meat taken from older sheep. The prince said he had "fond childhood memories" of the meat and it was a "tragedy" that it had fallen out of favour over the years. But he said consumers were now developing a taste for it again.

Do you ever buy and eat mutton?

Is it only true in the UK or is it gaining popularity in the States as well?

How do you make the mutton dishes if you purchase this type of meat?

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

To really taste the great flavor of mutton you need to eat it rare.

Keen’s steakhouse in New York has had mutton chops on the menu for decades.

They might even give you the name of a purveyor for the rest of the flesh.

www.keenssteakhouse.com

“C’est dans les vieux pots, qu’on fait la bonne soupe!”, or ‘it is in old pots that good soup is made’.

• 2 weeks later...
To really taste the great flavor of mutton you need to eat it rare.

Keen’s steakhouse in New York has had mutton chops on the menu for decades. 

They might even give you the name of a purveyor for the rest of the flesh.

www.keenssteakhouse.com

Is rare mutton not tough??

I got some mutton recently from The Ginger Pig in London and although it looked beautiful, the butchers advice was "don't cook it rare".

I think that in the UK we generally stew or casserole mutton chops...I could be wrong.