• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Jackson WY Restaurants

Hello - I went through the few posts I could find on Jackson WY restaurants and have searched around the internet. I am looking for some advice from people that either live in or have been to Jackson to help me round out some choices.

First off let me say that the Mangey Moose, Nani's Italian and The Old Yellow Stone Garage are all closed during the time we will be in Jackson. And I wanted to go to all 3 places!!! :angry: There will be four of us - all adults and we will be in Jackson from May 11th - 14th.

For dinner I am thinking Calico's, Koshu Wine Bar, Wild Sage and/or Blue Lion.

Does anyone have any experience with these establishments?

I am also thinking about hitting the Snake River Brewing Co for beers.

I also found the following restaurants and wanted to know if anyone had opinions: Snake River Grill

Rendezvous Bistro

Gun Barrell Steak and Game House

Bubba's BBQ

Sidewinders Tavern

What about places for a late breakfast?

What restaurants am I missing? We are staying in a condo about 15 minutes from out of town. We will have a car and I am not especially concerned with price. Not looking for a bargain or the most expensive - Looking for the places we shouldn't miss rather than making a "mistake" and eating at an "average" place when we could have eaten better and more yummy food.

Also - We are planning a day trip to Yellow Stone to see old Faithful. Any tips for a place for lunch over there??

Lastly - is the Million Dollar Bar a good place to go for some evening entertainment? We aren't "swing dancers" but I am always interested in a fun place to have some drinks.

Thanks in advance for tips, hints, experiences and advice.

Della

Snake River Grill is considered the best in town. Go for dinner. You should have a lunch at Amanganni. It sits on a ridge overlooking the valley and has stunning views of the Grand Tetons. If weather permits, you can sit outside. The Million Dollar Cowboy Bar is a hoot. Very busy bar with a band doing covers in the back. Lots of local color.

Mark

Hello - I went through the few posts I could find on Jackson WY restaurants and have searched around the internet. I am looking for some advice from people that either live in or have been to Jackson to help me round out some choices.

First off let me say that the Mangey Moose, Nani's Italian and The Old Yellow Stone Garage are all closed during the time we will be in Jackson. And I wanted to go to all 3 places!!!  :angry:  There will be four of us - all adults and we will be in Jackson from May 11th - 14th.

For dinner I am thinking Calico's, Koshu Wine Bar, Wild Sage and/or Blue Lion.

Does anyone have any experience with these establishments?

I am also thinking about hitting the Snake River Brewing Co for beers.

I also found the following restaurants and wanted to know if anyone had opinions: Snake River Grill

Rendezvous Bistro

Gun Barrell Steak and Game House

Bubba's BBQ

Sidewinders Tavern

What about places for a late breakfast?

What restaurants am I missing? We are staying in a condo about 15 minutes from out of town. We will have a car and I am not especially concerned with price. Not looking for a bargain or the most expensive - Looking for the places we shouldn't miss rather than making a "mistake" and eating at an "average" place when we could have eaten better and more yummy food.

Also - We are planning a day trip to Yellow Stone to see old Faithful. Any tips for a place for lunch over there??

Lastly -  is the Million Dollar Bar a good place to go for some evening entertainment? We aren't "swing dancers" but I am always interested in a fun place to have some drinks.

Thanks in advance for tips, hints, experiences and advice.

Della

Well, I haven't been to many of the places you've asked about, so let me say what I can in an attempt to be helpful. I'm new to the region, so my knowledge is incomplete.

First, the Mangy Moose is in the ski resort area, and probably won't get going again until the place gets hopping in the summer season. Lots of places are closed for a bit of an offseason break, but most reopen in the beginning of May. Nani's is undergoing an extensive renovation and appears to have a ways to go, so that's going to impact that one. OYG is indeed closed until June 1.

Out of your list, Calico's, along with the Moose are on the west side of the snake river on the Teton road. All the other ones are in Jackson. It's not far, as these things go, but depending on where you are staying it could make a difference.

The Blue Lion has a 20% off deal during the offseason, 'til June something. Haven't been.

The Wild Sage is in a great location at the wild life art museum overlooking the elk refuge. Haven't been. Nope, scratch that one, you said "wild" and I was thinking "rising" sage. Never mind.

The Snake River Brew Co has plenty of home brewed beers and an okay menu, salads, pastas, sandwiches, about 4 pizzas. It's popular, and often has entertainment on the weekends. Been quite a few times.

Elanor's cuvee reopens may 10, it's in an unusual setup at the back of a liqour store but is very good. Recommend.

Snake River Grille opens May 12th. Highly recommend.

Rendevous bistro is very popular, but haven't been.

Sidewinders I've been to quite a few times. It's a competent sort of sports bar, by which I mean lots of tv's but the menu goes beyond burgers and wings.

Gun Barrel, I haven't been to. But I know a couple of folks that work there, and based on those good souls it's pretty good. I mean to go there soon. Not much of a review, I know. The menu focuses on game meat and fish.

Instead of Bubba's, there's a place across from the elk refuge and the welcome center called the Route 89 Smokehouse Diner that I'd recommend. They do B-L-D.

Trio is a new place and I've had several good lunches there, but not dinner. Still I recommend it.

The Million Dollar Cowboy bar is lively and usually has bands on the weekends ( and a couple of doors down from the Cowboy is Billy's, where you can get a darn good hamburger). I don't go there because the bar stools are these faux saddles things and I can't stand them. Other bars for a drink are the Virginian, the Rancher, the Log Cabin, and Silver Dollar.

What else? Jedediah's does a good breakfast with sourdough pancakes. Nora's and the 89 diner do trout and eggs. The Sweetwater is good for L-D.

I'll think some more and add if I come up with something. There's a "dining guide" magazine that you should be able to get ahold of quickly when you get here, with menus and a map.

As far as Old Faithful, that's a ways into the park, and you'll cross the Grand Teton NP getting there. It's a 100 miles from Jackson. The only thing there beyond snack bar stuff is the Old faithful Inn, which will be right under foot, so if you are hungry that's where you should eat. I must recommend an inspection of the lodge, but again, unfortunately, I can't comment on the quality of the food. There's not a whole lot of other options, so this is a trip that may do with some planning. Also, the south entrance is closed right now, so unless you want to go through Idaho, you can't get there from here. It'll reopen in May at some point, which looks to be May 12....

Thanks for such great tips and advice!!! I appreciate it. I am still in the planning stages. I realize we are going a few weeks before things "pick up and open up" around the area. Good to know about getting through the south entrance. I will have to call to double check on that before we try it.

Hope I've been some help. If you've got any other q's, let me know and Ill do my best.

Trio is a new place and I've had several good lunches there, but not dinner.  Still I recommend it.

Just wanted to clarify this one . . . . I've only eaten lunch there, I haven't had dinner. They way I wrote it could be read to be me saying lunch was recommended but dinner was not. Not what I meant....

One more follow up.... The caveat about the entrance to Yellowstone applies to other areas as well. Grand Teton NP is currently very limited as far as travel by motor vehicles, as are parts of other areas such as the Elk Refuge. I don't know if you had outdoorsy stuff planned, but it would be too bad if you weren't able to enjoy much of the park. Everything opens up sometime in May, so it might bear checking with GTNP too.

One more follow up....  The caveat about the entrance to Yellowstone applies to other areas as well.  Grand Teton NP is currently very limited as far as travel by motor vehicles, as are parts of other areas such as the Elk Refuge.  I don't know if you had outdoorsy stuff planned, but it would be too bad if you weren't able to enjoy much of the  park.  Everything opens up sometime in May, so it might bear checking with GTNP too.

It appears the South entrance to Yellowstone is open the 2nd Friday of May. The 2nd day of our trip so that will hopefully work out. I have emailed the parks for more information.

I ate at the Blue Lion last year and posted about it here. I thought it was very good and very expensive. An off-season deal sounds pretty nice. I don't know about the other places you mention, and you've gotten a lot more help from the others. I will add, however, that the Snake River Brewing Company puts out very nice beer. We didn't eat at the restaurant but we got some of their beer - and then went out and bought more to bring home.

As for breakfast - late or early - we ate at the restaurant associated with the motel we stayed at in town. I forget its name now, but it's right on the main highway coming through town. The motel buildings look more or less like bunkhouses, low-slung and strung along the river. The restaurant is closer to the road, has a deck and indoor dining and a 50's motif. Seems like the service was a bit slow sometimes but the food was fine. Sorry I can't remember the name.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

I ate at the Blue Lion last year and posted about it here.  I thought it was very good and very expensive.  An off-season deal sounds pretty nice.  I don't know about the other places you mention, and you've gotten a lot more help from the others.  I will add, however, that the Snake River Brewing Company puts out very nice beer.  We didn't eat at the restaurant but we got some of their beer - and then went out and bought more to bring home.

As for breakfast - late or early - we ate at the restaurant associated with the motel we stayed at in town.  I forget its name now, but it's right on the main highway coming through town.  The motel buildings look more or less like bunkhouses, low-slung and strung along the river.  The restaurant is closer to the road, has a deck and indoor dining and a 50's motif.  Seems like the service was a bit slow sometimes but the food was fine.  Sorry I can't remember the name.

I do believe you stayed at the Wagon Wheel, and that the restaurant is the Route 89 Smokehouse Diner that I wrote about above.

We have reservations at the Snake River Grille on the 12th for dinner and I am determined to go to the Million Dollar Cowboy bar later that evening to check it out. :biggrin:

I ate at the Blue Lion last year and posted about it here.  I thought it was very good and very expensive.  An off-season deal sounds pretty nice.  I don't know about the other places you mention, and you've gotten a lot more help from the others.  I will add, however, that the Snake River Brewing Company puts out very nice beer.  We didn't eat at the restaurant but we got some of their beer - and then went out and bought more to bring home.

As for breakfast - late or early - we ate at the restaurant associated with the motel we stayed at in town.  I forget its name now, but it's right on the main highway coming through town.  The motel buildings look more or less like bunkhouses, low-slung and strung along the river.  The restaurant is closer to the road, has a deck and indoor dining and a 50's motif.  Seems like the service was a bit slow sometimes but the food was fine.  Sorry I can't remember the name.

I do believe you stayed at the Wagon Wheel, and that the restaurant is the Route 89 Smokehouse Diner that I wrote about above.

You do believe correctly. Thank you for providing those names!

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

• 3 weeks later...

My Wyoming trip was great and I really want to thank all of you that offered tips and advice. We got in later than planned on Thursday due to some plane problems. Our leg from Boise ID to Idaho Falls was cancelled so we just grabbed a rental car rather than spend a night in Boise. We got in about 11:00 PM and hit the Albertson’s for some provisions for the morning. (We had stopped in Mountain Home ID for some Vodka so we were set for Martini’s when we got to the condo that night! So Friday morning we just made brunch in and then around noon headed into town to look around. Very cute town – The girls shopped around for a bit while the guys hit the Snake River Brewing Co for some beers. Once we were done shopping for a bit we stopped by the Million Dollar Cowboy for an afternoon cocktail and had the guys come over to meet us there- I have to say this place was just as I imagined it would be!!! Loved the real saddle bar stools.

We had dinner reservations at the Snake River Grille for Friday that night the 12th. This was opening night for them this season and we had an excellent dinner. We started out with cocktails and a shared cast iron “pot” of truffle parmesan “frites” that were really good. We nibbled on them all night – and for $5.00 it was an extremely generous portion. In fact, I have to say that all the portions were quite large and prices were very reasonable.

The baguette they served at the table was accompanied by fantastically good chive butter.

For first courses (there were 4 of us) one of us had the Asparagus soup with gulf prawns and tarragon and it was wonderful. They brought the bowl out with small pieces of prawn and asparagus placed artfully around the bottom of the bowl and then poured the hot soup out of a pitcher into the bowl. There were hints of nutmeg, cream, and the tarragon really came through. It was great. Another member of our group ordered the Wild Mushroom Risotto that came with asparagus tips and he really liked it. As for us ladies, we ordered the organic spinach with chicken livers served with fresh raspberries, a warm raspberry vinaigrette and tobacco onions. The chicken livers were really good – crispy on the outside and tender and still slightly pink on the inside. Each salad came with 4 or 5 livers – again – very generous portions.

Mains were – Crispy Pork Shank with Tomatoes and White Beans, Braised Wild Boar Cheeks and for the guys the Lamb Loin with wok fried Watercress and Tamarind Jus. The lamb was the winner of the night but all the dishes were wonderful. The lamb was rare to medium rare and extremely tender. The pork shank was falling apart and the tomato seemed to have a tomato paste spread over the shank that was tangy and sweet at the same time. The while beans were a little tough but I wasn’t eating them anyway – not with that pork in front of me!!! The Wild Boar was tender and flavorful – We all loved everything.

Wines were great and unfortunately I can’t find my slip of paper where I wrote them down. When I come across it I will post what we had that night.

Total bill before tip was $400.00 for 4 people. Considering we had before dinner cocktails, a starter app to share, first course, main course, 2 bottles of wine, after dinner drinks – I have to say $100 per person was a steal. This dinner was wonderful for all of us.

The next day we went to Yellow Stone to see Old Faithful. The park was beautiful and it was easy to get to the geysers. We ended up having lunch at the restaurant in the lodge. Not the “grille” but the main restaurant. The prices were very reasonable – about $8.00 for a sandwich with a side salad or fries. The Tuna Salad with Tomato and Gouda was quite good and we started with their Black Pepper Battered Onion rings. Others things we ordered was the burger, a Rueben and a Turkey and green Apple sandwich.

Knowing that we couldn’t replicate our dinner at the Snake River Grille, for dinner we decided to do something completely different and we went to the Gun and Barrel for a game dinner. Prices here are pretty inexpensive and the wine list was pretty limited. A couple of us opted for the house margarita that was similar to a Cadillac Rita and two of us just had glasses of pinot grigio with our apps. I think they were about $6.00 per glass. For wine with dinner we got the Chateau Larose Thrintauchon, Haut Medoc 2001 Bordeaux for $33.00 – it was adequate. For our starter we shared the Fried Green Tomatoes with an herbed breading and chipotle mayo as well as the Bison Carpaccio that came with mustard, sliced Gouda and toasts. The tomatoes were OK – nothing to write home about and I wouldn’t order them again. The Bison Carpaccio was sliced rather thick but had good flavor. Not have had it before I can’t really judge but we all liked it.

Mains were Buffalo Prime Rib, Buffalo BBQ’d ribs, the mixed grill that had an Elk Chop, Venison Sausage and Buffalo Prime rib and lastly something called “velvet elk” which was elk medallions in light gravy with mushrooms and sun dried tomatoes with garlic mashed. Green beans were the vegetable of the night. Sides also included wild rice – which tasted sorta gritty like the spice / herb mix didn’t dissolve and baked sweet potatoes with maple butter. We shared a slice of their granny smith apple pie for dessert with the ala mode on the side. The pie was good but the ice cream seemed a little grainy to me. Portions were huge and I think we could have easily ordered 2 or 3 meals for the 4 of us and still had left overs. Lots of stuffed animals decorated the place - it was very thematic! We all enjoyed the dinner but I think we would have liked it more had we gone the night BEFORE we went to the Snake River Grille.

Lunch on Sunday was at the Snake River Brewing Co on the deck in the sunshine before we headed to Idaho Falls to catch our plane. Good beers, great view and pretty good pub food. If I lived in Jackson I would be a regular here! I had the veal brat with kraut and grainy mustard for about $6.00. Other things we ordered were the pulled pork sandwich and the southwestern burrito with Chile Verde.

There were a few other restaurants I wish we would have had time to try but there will be other trips. We didn’t make it to breakfast anywhere and if we had we would have gone to Jebidiah’s. Having the condo with a full kitchen we opted to cook in for breakfast and just relax the mornings away looking at the Teton’s off the back porch.

I can’t wait to go back again!

• 1 year later...

I thought I'd bump up this thread and see if there is anything new in Jackson Hole, WY that is a "must eat" since we're getting ready to spend the long weekend in Feb skiing, eating and drinking.

Last year we went in Feb and spent lots of time at the Mangy Moose apres-ski (of course) :biggrin: Dinner at Nani's was great and we hit the Snake River Brewing Co for lunch our first day in and last day out. Also had some drinks and listened to live music at 49 Degrees (I think I have the name right....?)

Any suggestions on places we should definitely hit this time?

• 2 weeks later...