• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Painfully Hip Brunch

Boo

I walked past the Kiev the weekend before last, and there was a sign out front that looked like it was a few days old saying that they were serving their last meals (as of the date of the sign, which as I said looked a few days old). The Kiev itself looked like it was getting prepared to be dismantled.

Roz, I will walk past Kiev later today or tomorrow and check on its current condition, but I haven't noticed any evidence of its being closed permanently. If it did, that must have happened within the last 24 hours or so, I figure.

Pan, Whenever eater posts closure photos, they're of the moment. The ones of Kiev look quite permanent to me. However, if you want to see for yourself, go ahead and check it.

Brunch at Prune has indeed been discussed before in this forum. Try doing a site search (using the button right near the extreme upper right corner of this page) for topics in the New York forum only with "brunch" and "breakfast" in their titles. Find the "Prune" thread the same way, for good measure.

Michael aka "Pan"

August looks interesting, I like the menu.  So many choices now.... I have to pick one.  That's the hard part.

NOTE: harlanturk, who recommended August, has posted a review under the title AUGUST. August also is reviewed in the NY Times today (Eric Asimov) and receives two stars ("very good"). The review, as are others posted on the August Web site, is very positive, and the restaurant appears to draw a crowd.

However, says ckgourmet in response to harlanturk's encomium to August: "I had a good meal, about a year ago, at August, but I can't say that it was so good or unusual that I thought it worth going back. Perhaps you can recommend a few other dishes?"

Boo, if you do do brunch at August, you must tell us your impressions, as well as if it was indeed painfully hip. (The name "August" does not have a particularly "painfully hip" evocation to it, more of a stuffy resonance.) August itself says it strives for a "charming ambiance reminiscent of Europe's classic resturants." The NY Times describes its atmosphere as "Urban rusticity." A review in New York Magazine (HAl Rubenstein) says that "August feels like a local taverna along the Mediterranean." Nice, but not necessarily hip.

So it will be interesting to see if painfully hip people actually dine there and if the place deserves that reputation. (It would be interesting to hear what eGulleters believe is "hip"?) Sounds like a photo-expose is in order.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

Bruni also noted in his NYTIMES review today, "August layers rustic accent atop rustic accent, to the point where you just might forget you aren't in Provence or Tuscany, at least until a hipster poster girl like the actress Maggie Gyllenhaal strolls in, as she did on that recent night."

Edited by harlanturk (log)

Michael Harlan Turkell, PHOTOGRAPHER

"BACK OF THE HOUSE" Project, www.harlanturk.com , PLOG: harlanturk.blogspot.com

Bruni also noted in his NYTIMES review today, "August layers rustic accent atop rustic accent, to the point where you just might forget you aren't in Provence or Tuscany, at least until a hipster poster girl like the actress Maggie Gyllenhaal strolls in, as she did on that recent night."

There you have it. By every acceptable standard, it's hip.

"Yo, I want one of those!"

has anyone had brunch at Prune? I love dinner there.

Prune has great brunch but a long wait. If you want really HIP I'd say ty Freeman's on the Lower East Side or Diner in Williamsburg. Freeman's in ok but it's very cool. I think Diner makes great food. Or change it up and go to Peter Lugers for a brunch burger.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, here's the long and short it it: The brunch certainly was painful, although not in the way I had hoped. After MUCH discussion, we decided that we just did not have enough time to go downtown and then back before we had to leave on Sunday. And DH being Scandinavian, he really wanted to try Aquavit. So we booked there. Unfortunately, I had not considered that my 35 year old-ish body just cannot stay up all night and party like it used to. Just as I took my first plate of food, I felt a noxious gurgling in my stomach. I barely made it to the bathroom in time. DH had a lovely solo brunch and enjoyed the various herring and salmon dishes while I spent the entire brunch face down on the bathroom floor. Live and learn.