• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

"When Chefs Attack"

Grub

Did anyone catch this show on Fox? I didn't, but heard it was basically uh, WYSIWYG -- Chefs attacking people, and/or things. Screaming, shouting, throwing things, beating people up. Anthony Bourdain was interviewed for it. Basically, the show was about as idiotic as any When so-and-so Attacks, but some footage was supposedly hillarious.

Did anyone catch this show on Fox? I didn't, but heard it was basically uh, WYSIWYG -- Chefs attacking people, and/or things. Screaming, shouting, throwing things, beating people up. Anthony Bourdain was interviewed for it. Basically, the show was about as idiotic as any When so-and-so Attacks, but some footage was supposedly hillarious.

I saw a show on Fox with this exact same name years ago. I seem to remember them mentioning Kitchen Confidential and Tony Bourdain being briefly interviewed. It's been a long time since I saw that show but I believe that he reiterated some of the topics in his book such as not selecting items from a menu that included hollandaise sauce, when not to order fish, etc.

Mostly it was a "caught on tape" type of show exposing people in stand alone restaurant kitchens and chain restaurants doing nasty things to food and to their subordinates. Some of it was silly, some of it was truly disgusting and disturbing as I recall. One standout was a "chef" blowing his nose into plates before they were sent out to the FOH to somehow get back at his boss. Another was a real asshole of a head chef being both verbally and physically abusive to his kitchen staff most of whom appeared to be Hispanic immigrants. A real pig. Yet another was in a chain doughnut place I think where an employee was shown handling food after she had handled money without washing her hands. That was bad enough. However she then went on to relieve an itch placing her hands under her pants and scratching very near her "nether regions" shall we say and once the itching was done went on to handle food again. Ugh, got to stop remembering this, getting increasingly nauseus.

Grub did any of the above appear in the show? Also, did this look somewhat dated? I believe I saw this show in the late nineties.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

Worst piece of shit EVER.

STILL-years later, I squirm with shame when I think about that show. They interviewed me (an innoccuous enough event) then intercut the footage with a lot of bogus-looking, stagey stuff shot "surreptitiously" at various fast food/crap diner type establishments. Can't believe they're running it again after all these years.

Bumped into the producer a while back (he has since moved on to much better work) and he apologized profusely. Think it was made in 2000.

abourdain

STILL-years later, I squirm with shame when I think about that show. They interviewed me (an innoccuous enough event) then intercut the footage with a lot of bogus-looking, stagey stuff shot "surreptitiously" at various fast food/crap diner type establishments. Can't believe they're running it again after all these years.

Bumped into the producer a while back (he has since moved on to much better work) and he apologized profusely. Think it was made in 2000.

The hazards of being interviewed, you never get a chance to explain yourself later after the nasty little quote taken out of context.

Interesting. So they're repeating the same crap. Tony I remember when I saw your interview and then the rest of the show that, well, they just didn't fit together. However, if there's any shame associated with those responsible for this I don't think you have anything to squirm about. Probably those who really need to hang their heads think this was must see tv at its finest.

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!

On DirecTV it's been running on the oxymoronically-named Fox Reality Channel. Think how easily it was probably put together: some guy gives a group of 14-year-old boys a video camera (but not the instruction manual, which ensures that the footage will have that monkey-cam effect). Then he turns the kids loose in a Denny's kitchen where they record their wacky hijincks. Their payment? A carton of generic cigarettes. Add voiceovers, and there ya go! Insta-product.

Good god in a bucket--why the hell didn't I think of that?? [slaps forehead, walks away mumbling bitterly]

"She would of been a good woman," The Misfit said, "if it had been somebody there to shoot her every minute of her life."

--Flannery O'Connor, "A Good Man is Hard to Find"