• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Lobster Tails Pastries...

Dailey

i saw a clip on foodnetwork where a bakery made "lobster tail" pastries, that's what they looked like, hence the name. they have many, many layers and are filled with some sort of cream. i would love to make some tomarro. i searched the web but didn't come up with a recipe, just info on the pastry itself. has anyone ever made these or have a recipe? thanks :biggrin:

thank you michelle! sounds great. they looked so good on the "best of..." show on foodnetwork that i've been wanting to try them ever since. i'm a bit nervous making them though since pastries intimidate me, i'm much more confortable making cookies, cakes. :biggrin:

i saw a clip on foodnetwork where a bakery made "lobster tail" pastries,  that's what they looked like, hence the name.  they have many, many layers and are filled with some sort of cream.  i would love to make some tomarro.  i searched the web but didn't come up with a recipe, just info on the pastry itself.  has anyone ever made these or have a recipe?  thanks :biggrin:

Those are made with the same recipe of sfogliatelle ( that by the way come from Naples ) , anyway ,not too scare you away ,just let you know that are little bit harder to make at home than regular pastries.

The filling though isnt the same of the sfogliatelle,they are formed the same way, once you formed the cone ( the reciepie on the link say to roll it but originally you get the round and spread it between your fingers to creat a cone container like.Anyway after you made the cone you filled it up with some pate a choux.and bake them let them cool down and filled them with crema pasticcera ( vanilla custard like ) with added whipped cream, thats the way they are in Rome anyway.

Good luck

Ps dont skimp on the strutto ( white clarified lard), its important to get the crispy crunchy flaky texture.

Vanessa

hmmm, getting a little more nervous... :unsure: however, i do like a good challenge. i noticed that the recipe calls for semolina flour, can i get this at the grocery store? isn't this the flour used for pasta? i wonder what purpose it serves in the pasty. also, you mentioned strutto, the recipe only calls for butter, should i substitute strutto instead? actually, i would never be able to find that stuff in my small town, think i could used shortening instead? thanks again! :biggrin:

hmmm, getting a little more nervous... :unsure:      however, i do like a good challenge.  i noticed that the recipe calls for semolina flour, can i get this at the grocery store?  isn't this the flour used for pasta?  i wonder what purpose it serves in the pasty.  also, you mentioned strutto, the recipe only calls for butter, should i substitute strutto instead?  actually, i would never be able to find that stuff in my small town, think i could used shortening instead?  thanks again! :biggrin:

It does cal for strutto as well ,anyway for working the dough u need lard ( strutto ) You might be albe to find it at your local butcher shop,I actually just found some lard at the mega wal mart here in town.

The semolina yes is the same used to make pasta, it serves the purpose to make the filling , it turns like a porridge like paste that you fill the sfogliatella with , but as I told you before the filling for the coda d'aragosta ( lobster tail ) is not the one used for the sfogliatella .

No dont get nervous I do like challenges my self have fun, and let me know how is going :smile:

Vanessa