• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Diners

Jake

So, I've been thinking about diners and diner food all day. Normally, one might find that odd, but in this case it was precipitated by one of the worst diner experiences in my life last night.

To be fair, I did not expect much going in, but it was even less than anticipated. I was meeting some friends for a quick bite prior to the theatre, had no input whatsoever on the venue. As you can imagine with a group of people it can be hard to please everyone and this group has a number of VERY unadventurous eaters. So I am advised that the choice of the night was "Fran's" :shock::shock:

Now, honestly I love good diners. A burger, club, fries and gravy, hot turkey sandwich - hey I'm there, good old-fashioned comfort food. I vaguely remember late night breakfasts at the old Fran's a number of years ago. So, how bad could it be, right? It's bad. Don't go. Club sandwich, very little chicken or bacon, mostly lettuce and tomato, Wonder whole wheat bread, for close to $10. The burger, they advertise as 100% Angus beef, freshly made and cooked to order just like the original in the early years. It's ordered medium rare with fries, gravy on the side. The burger arrives it is extremely well done, charred black on the outside, on a stale bun and cold. Fries are lukewarm and undercooked soggy, obviously frozen, zero taste. Gravy is brownish liquid, only discernable flavour is salt. Plate is sent back, new one comes 10 - 15 minutes later. This burger is hot, but cooked through as well. Fries are hot, but still undercooked and soggy (although well done had been specified). Waitress returns and explains all burgers are pre-cooked and then reheated so you can't have them cooked to order. When asked to cook a fresh one we are told this is not possible. Plate is returned. Another order is the hot turkey sandwich (do we see a theme here -- all orders are typical diner food). The hot turkey is barely warm the first time and is returned, as is one diners hot roast beef. When plates return they are warm, not hot. The turkey stringy, full of gristle, large peices of bones and the same undercooked soggy fries. The beef is overcooked (looks like fried deli sliced beef), tough and served with barely warm mashed potatos. The toasted western sandwich was apparently fine, as was a salad, but a grilled chicken breast sandwich also came over cooked, tough and on a stale bun. We didn't try the mac 'n cheese.....at $12, who would?

Service was slow and spotty, mixed orders, wrong orders, fairly poor overall; although the manager apparently authorized removal of the 4 or 5 inedible dishes without comment. He did not visit the table even though the waitress was asked if he was available (she didn't know).

So, it's been awhile since I've had occasion to go out for diner food...are there any great diners left in Toronto, or surrounding area? I have fond memories of great old-fashioned diner lunches when I was a child, always accompanied by great milkshakes and floats. Where do you go for diner food, and what do you order?

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I never remember the names of most diners I visit as most are forgettable. I do have some positive memories of the Patriarch and Vesta Lunch. My step-brother lives at Midway up in Markham (yonge and steeles really). There are always Diner 55 and Mars.

I mostly order breakfast stuff, like eggs benny.

The last time I went to the Frans on college near yonge it was attrocious.

Mark

I hate Mars. I recall Vesta Lunch with great fondness......

Rarely go to diners but I do remember the waitresses at Fran's on St Clair. They were wonderful, and I know why Glenn Gould ate there every night.

The diner I remember best was the Knotty Pine, on the outskirts of London, Ont., by the Labatt estate. I watched a counter cook work with speed and precision; I was awed (a mere student) and I vowed to get there somehow. Never quite made it, but the experience was worth it....

It's been years since I ate at Frans.

There is a little diner right across the street from 1 Queen Street. I wish I could remember the name of it, but they made wonderful breakfasts and we were often there for lunch since I worked at 1 Queen.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

There is a diner on King just near Sherborne. A friend who is a huge foodie swears by it but since they are only open in the a.m. I can never get there. Wish I knew the name.

officially left egullet....

There is a diner on King just near Sherborne.  A friend who is a huge foodie swears by it but since they are only open in the a.m. I can never get there.  Wish I knew the name.

you're thinking of the patrician grill. a great diner with great food and a cheap breakfast. I used to go there 3-4 times a week when I was in college and I still try to go once every few weeks or so. I maily go for the breakfast but the burgers, fries and grilled cheese and bacon are all great too.

ns

There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves - Fergus Henderson

There is a diner on King just near Sherborne.  A friend who is a huge foodie swears by it but since they are only open in the a.m. I can never get there.  Wish I knew the name.

you're thinking of the patrician grill. a great diner with great food and a cheap breakfast. I used to go there 3-4 times a week when I was in college and I still try to go once every few weeks or so. I maily go for the breakfast but the burgers, fries and grilled cheese and bacon are all great too.

ns

I meant to say the Patrician earlier, but wrote the Patriarch. I guess I needed caffeine in me. Definitely a hang out while at GBC.

Mark

I too tried Fran's on the whole "Toronto Tradition" basis and haven't since been back -- even for its 24-hour-ness. I also happened to go to Mel's (Bloor West near Bathurst) on the weekend and that was pretty shoddy too, although not nearly as bad as Fran's.

when I think of diners, my comfort food is bacon and eggs...unfortunately, the only recommendations I have are in Waterloo...I liked Angie's (Erb W of King), Daily Grill (Northfield near Davenport) and just before I moved, I discovered Cedar Barn on the way out to St. Jacobs. Good eggs, awesome bacon, great fresh sausage too (and I usually hate sausage).

I'm currently trying to find a good lunchtime spot for bacon and eggs near work (Fairview Mall-ish)...

The Brant St. diner near Adelaide and Spadina and the Detroit Eatery on the Danforth are pretty good. Also the Logan Grill and Logan and Gerrard seems pretty popular. NONE of them are anything to look at from the outside but I have had pretty good food there.

The Brant St. diner near Adelaide and Spadina and the Detroit Eatery on the Danforth are pretty good. Also the Logan Grill and Logan and Gerrard seems pretty  popular. NONE of them are anything to look at from the outside but I have had pretty good food there.

Ah, the Detroit - I hear it's pretty good. What are your favourites at Brant St. and Logan Grill?

I haven't been over to the Brant St. for awhile but they had great homemade soup, lots of people seem to have the turkey dinner and the souvlaki seemed pretty popular. It is a really busy lunch spot (not open for dinner) and there seemed to be MANY regulars that the owner called by name. The burgers at the Detroit are really good and breakfast type stuff at the Logan Grill. He does a good Western. He is only open until midafternoon and not on Sundays.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
It's been years since I ate at Frans. 

There is a little diner right across the street from 1 Queen Street.  I wish I could remember the name of it, but they made wonderful breakfasts and we were often there for lunch since I worked at 1 Queen.

I think you are thinking of Victoria Diner. Victoria/Queen. Everything is decent. Fast friendly service with the same waitresses that get to know your name.

My faviourite is the fish and chips special every 2nd Friday. Otherwise burgers, breakfast stuff, sandwiches...all good.

"Grilling with real charcoal? NOW, you're cooking with gas!"

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog

What about "The Senator" just off Dundas Square?

Fine burgers.

Good salads at The Senator too. Everything except for Salad Nicoise which involves a full can of iffy tuna turned upside down on the lettuce.

Breakfast stuff like pancakes, eggs esp. heuvos rancheros is good. Coffee isn't bad either for a diner.

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog

Rarely go to diners but I do remember the waitresses at Fran's on St Clair. They were wonderful, and I know why Glenn Gould ate there every night.

The diner I remember best was the Knotty Pine, on the outskirts of London, Ont., by the Labatt estate.  I watched a counter cook work with speed and precision; I was awed (a mere student) and I vowed to get there somehow.  Never quite made it, but the experience was worth it....

Knotty Pine was a good place. The student hangouts in London that I liked was Campus HiFi on Richmond just south of Oxford. LOVED that spot and practially lived there in the late 80's early 90's. Also there was another further west on Oxford...for some reason I think it was called the Oxford.

Wonder if these places are still around...the downtown has changed and there are chain restaurants there now.

I had a few meetings there a couple of years ago and had lunch at the Prince Albert diner...had a fancy burger with chipotle and nippy cheese and a shake. It was memorable...

Cooking Gurus Blog

Coffee Gurus Blog