• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

baby related favors

Trishiad

I've just spoken with a friend who will attend a special dinner thrown by the women of her service club to honor her new baby. Typically, the mother brings a small favor as a token of her gratitude. This is often something simple like chocolate kisses or cookies but my friend would like something a bit more creative and special. She called her favorite chocolatier who would love to make something dazzling but is feeling a little uninspired. If there were more than a couple of days I might have a special candy bar mold made or at least order some baby related molds to make some more special bonbons but there is simply not enough time.

any ideas?

What about some little chocolate mice - could be very cute and memorable.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

probably not too much help (as it isn't chocolate), i often do cookie "pops" in the shape of hand or foot (for new baby)...royal flood icing with baby's name written on them. individually wrapped in cello bag...

or i just did cupcakes for a friend's baby's first birthday party and did tempered chocolate plaques with baby's name. i actually printed the baby's name in a cute font repeatedly on computer and then flipped the page over so it would be backward, put a piece of acetate on top, piped the name in tempered white chocolate, then spread tempered dark chocolate over the top, then punched it out before the chocolate completely set using a fluted cutter...placed at an angle on top of the cupcakes. everyone asked the mom where she bought the cupcakes.

if you have any cute mini cookie cutters on hand, you could fill a bunch with tempered chocolate for cute "baby" shapes...ahhh forget it...doesn't she know you just finished easter and are too tired for this?! hehehe

hopefully this works...obviously these cookies were made for a shower before the baby was born...you can adjust accordingly...they were a last minute request with no constraints and are rather simple and easy.

link to imageGullet

Edited by alanamoana (log)

Strawberry marshmallows cut into flowers and sprinkled with a bit of clear edible glitter, wrapped in a cello bag tied with ribbon.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

The first thing I thought of was cookies on a stick but she didn't come to me for my baking "skills", she wants chocolate. Although glittery sugared marshmallows on a stick sure would be cute.

I've never made the mice before but those would surely be cute. Pipe oval for body and small circle for head, right? Sliced almonds for ears, then dip and drop on top of a tail? As Alana knows, I am sort of over the critters after Easter, BUT they sure would be cute.....

Any more ideas? Where's AKWA?

Since you're thinking about piping chocolate....what about piping some pacifier, baby bottle and/or clothpin shapes. Either several small ones or one large one in a cellophane bag tied w/ ribbon.

Another idea would be to make some flat top truffles and paint some designs on top such as "thank you" or the baby's name or a teddy bear or any baby related thing.

The marshmellow idea is great, since you can cut it into any shape easily. You can always dip them in chocolate. :wub:

This might be too complex or time consuming, but what about molding a small chocolate baby rattle? You could make a small hollow ball for the rattle and fill it with little mints or hard candies - anything that would make a noise when shaken - then attach a chocolate handle. A little chocolate piping around the seam (maybe with a colored chocolate?) and maybe a piped-on name or design, and it would be cute. She could tie on nametags or thank-you notes with a bit of ribbon, too, and present them in a little box or bag.

I do think the marshmellows would be really sweet, though. A little mini-layette set of baby socks, baby jacket, and a baby hat made of marshmellow would be cute :smile:

Good luck!

It ought to be pretty easy to find molds shaped like baby bottles, or baby shoes. I went to a baby shower once where the hostess made favors of these by just filling them with white chocolate died baby blue and pink.

So long and thanks for all the fish.

I've just spoken with a friend who will attend a special dinner thrown by the women of her service club to honor her new baby.  Typically, the mother brings a small favor as a token of her gratitude.  This is often something simple like chocolate kisses or cookies but my friend would like something a bit more creative and special.  She called her favorite chocolatier who would love to make something dazzling but is feeling a little uninspired.  If there were more than a couple of days I might have a special candy bar mold made or at least order some baby related molds to make some more special bonbons but there is simply not enough time.

any ideas?

call me well talk about it

what is the question?