• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Shiner chocolates?

Desiderio

gallery_44494_2818_12886.jpgOk it was an accident not an experiment, acutally I did some chocolate last night after work and was very late,so I unmolded most of them right away , and some from a one mold didnt came out right away and I couldnt tap too hard on the counter because everyone were sleeping :raz: . Anyway this morning I went down , where I keep all my chocolates in the basement its very cold, and I unmolded the rest form that last mold, and I have noticed that the one I just unmolded are way shinier than the ones I unmolded last night after I covered them ( I waited ofcourse ).

Now my question is , what can be the cause of this difference?

The fact that the chocolate srhink even more in a cold ( not fridge ) enveiroment ( sp)?

I am courious because if is the case I will change my unmolding time and place I guess :biggrin: .

Thank you

the pic isnt the best .

Vanessa

it is often the case that people recommend leaving the chocolate in the mold or on the acetate for a longer period of time (to "cure")...i'm sure that this affects the shine on the chocolates. as we're always in a rush and pushing unmolding by refrigerating, the chocolates come out less shiny. but then again, chocolates that go through cooling tunnels in factories come out nice and shiny...so that may blow my theory out the window (but they probably have fans to control humidity which we don't have in our home refrigerators).

How could it be humidity if the chocolates are still in the mold? Wouldn't the close contact with the mold prevent any significant moisture absorption?

Or would it be the moisture gained if it is demolded when still chilled from the fridge?

Did you unmold the first set when cold direct from the fridge and the second set at room temperature?

How could it be humidity if the chocolates are still in the mold?  Wouldn't the close contact with the mold prevent any significant moisture absorption? 

Or would it be the moisture gained if it is demolded when still chilled from the fridge?

Did you unmold the first set when cold direct from the fridge and the second set at room temperature?

I dont know about humidity ,but this isnt the case of humidity , where I live is semidesert area and we barley get helthy level of humidity, and in this case I didnt rush them in the fridge at all, the temper was good so I just waited , and unmolded them at room temperature ( 68 F ).The rest I put down stairs where is much colder , all night and then unmolded them in the morning and the difference was great.

Vanessa

it is often the case that people recommend leaving the chocolate in the mold or on the acetate for a longer period of time (to "cure")...i'm sure that this affects the shine on the chocolates. 

I have heard this as well. I have been told to leave them in their molds overnight for good results in regards to shine.

it is often the case that people recommend leaving the chocolate in the mold or on the acetate for a longer period of time (to "cure")...i'm sure that this affects the shine on the chocolates. 

I have heard this as well. I have been told to leave them in their molds overnight for good results in regards to shine.

Well thats good news then :biggrin: .

One more thing learned , 1000000000 billions to go!! :rolleyes:

Vanessa

Could it just be a temperature thing? I'm no expert on the science of it, but I have tried and tested tempering just for the sake of the shine, and that works. I'm not sure if there's a connection, but there could be... :unsure:

the cooling tunnel is best for chocolate that isn't the case of humidity, the important is temp and the chocolate use how long to though out the tunnel. so long tunnel temp is different than short one. Humidity is from the water cooling system.

Shiny or not is depend room temp. if room temp more stable can make more good result.