• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plastic Cookbook Holders

pedie

I have my wonderfully renovated kitchen with lots of counter space. Now I need a plastic cookbook holder to prop up my cookbooks while protecting them from spatter. I've "googled" and get many different styles.

Have any of you found one that you would recommend? I saw one that has a wood base and an adjustable plastic faceplate, but then I read a review by a user that said it is always coming apart and doesn't hold large books.

I would appreciate any personal experience posts to help in my decision. And I thank those who reply to this post, in advance! :-)

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

Hello,

I don't have it (yet) but the Clear Solutions Jumbo Cookbook Holder was the top rated one by cook's illustrated magazine. They have it at amazon for $39.95. I would make an eGullet friendly link if I knew how. Hope this helps you, despite my lack of personal experience with it....I'm hoping I get one of these for my birthday.

I received a simple, all plastic one that works ok, as a gift. Probably less expensive than the one from Amazon, if money is a factor. I believe they bought at a Barnes & Noble.

Yeah, I have this one too, but half my cookbooks don't fit in it! You really have to have either thin cookbooks or really flexible cookbooks.

"Many people believe the names of In 'n Out and Steak 'n Shake perfectly describe the contrast in bedroom techniques between the coast and the heartland." ~Roger Ebert

Hello,

I don't have it (yet) but the Clear Solutions Jumbo Cookbook Holder was the top rated one by cook's illustrated magazine. They have it at amazon for $39.95. I would make an eGullet friendly link if I knew how. Hope this helps you, despite my lack of personal experience with it....I'm hoping I get one of these for my birthday.

That was one I looked at online. cooking.com has it for $29.95. Here is the link:

http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=136856

I would like to hear from someone who has used it before I invest in it. However, Cook's Illustrated is a good recommendation since they "seem" to do extensive testing before making a recommendation. Has anyone on this list used it?

Cooking is like love, it should be entered into with abandon, or not at all.

I have a couple of the acrilic or plastic ones but neither will hold the oversized cookbooks and having them tip over, often causing a spill of something, is really annoying.

I found this gallery_17399_60_63765.jpg enameled cast-iron book holder at Linens 'N Things and I bought a sheet of acrilic made for picture frames at Michael's.

It works fine even for very large books. This is one that is wider and taller than most but the holder will hold much thicker books, even the "Beautiful" cookbooks, which are extremely large.

gallery_17399_60_37382.jpg

This site has several types of cookbook holders.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett