• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

McArthur's law and roast potatoes

I did Maggie, I did.  Flour.  3 T of it.  Still the taste was right and the crust worked, so I'll attempt this again.

I was watching America's Test Kitchen today, and they pre-cooked the apples a bit to get some of the juice out and keep the bottom crust crusty...

Yes, I always pre-cook my apple pie filling and reduce the juice that cooks out, and I also use cornstarch (more thickening power).

The problem with cornstarch is that if it's heated too long after reaching max thickening power, it'll break down again. I've f'ed up many a stir fry that way! :laugh:

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

:cool:

Not-Bad Roast Potatoes for two:

Into a gallon-size Ziploc bag, pour three tablespoons EVOO, plus salt/pepper/chopped fresh oregano and parsley to taste.

Wash, trim, and cut three russet potatoes (one for each person, and "one for the pot") into lengthwise wedges. Puncture discreetly with dinner fork to avoid in-oven starch explosions.

Marinate potato wedges in oil/herbs in bag, massaging briefly to ensure even absorption, 15 minutes at least; can be longer if dinner parameters require.

Bake wedges in one layer in baking dish, 30 to 40 minutes, in oven at 375 F.

:laugh:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004