• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Berghoff reopens - Chicago

pounce

The Berghoff, the 107-year-old Chicago restaurant that closed in February when owners Herman and Jan Berghoff retired, was reopened by their daughter Carlyn.

Little about the new Berghoff Cafe, which opened quietly Tuesday, was different from the old. It's a mystery to me why they ever closed, said longtime Berghoff customer Arthur Raphael, 66.

The main difference, one not overlooked by customers, seemed to be the absence of its longtime unionized workers, the Chicago Sun-Times reported.

The old Berghoff was one of the few Chicago restaurants to still employ union cooks and servers, leading some to wonder whether the closing had more to do with rising employee costs.

We had to do it the way we did it, Carlyn Berghoff said. She moved her catering firm into the leased space that will now accommodate private events.

But the Culinary Institute of America graduate and a 20-year catering veteran is keeping three of her parents' trademark dishes -- wiener schnitzel, sauerbraten and schlachtplatte.

We want to get the crowds back, she said.

My soup looked like an above ground pool in a bad neighborhood.

Here's a link to the entire story, which appeared in the April 19 edition of the Chicago Sun-Times:

Menu same, staff different as Berghoff Cafe reopens by Janet Rausa Fuller.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

A bunch of local, in-know-types had predicted this very outcome.

Frankly, I find it incredibly sad and even though the Berghoff had long ago dropped off my radar, this officializes it. Union issues aside (because we are not going to discuss politics here), what a lousy way to treat long-standing employees. And to essentially admit to it in public is also baffling. Who knows? Perhaps the dismissed employees were treated well behind the scenes before they were rehired at their likely lower salaries. That seems very doubtful, however.

The Berghoff, IMO, has lost its right be considered a Chicago institution. Now, it's just another (privately-owned) business, willing to manipulate and deceive just about anyone without any apparent remorse whatsoever. Whatever it had been in its glory days -- long before its orchestrated, faux "closing" -- the Berghoff had deteriorated into an over-crowded tourist trap, turning out mediocre food which was revered by the undiscerning. My guess is that this "reincarnation" by the Berghoff won't have much impact on those undiscerning fans. Anyone who walks into the place from this point forward is basically saying that they're ok with what the ownership did. :angry:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

"Tapas station and raw bar" ? No matter what is now done, the Burghoff is dead. I have seen a number of these 'changes' where the new owner thought that he/she could trade on the original name/owners mystique. In reality the new owner had not a clue as to what made the original a success. It was not what was on the menu but the people that made the difference. R.I.P. -Dick

A bunch of local, in-know-types had predicted this very outcome.

Frankly, I find it incredibly sad and even though the Berghoff had long ago dropped off my radar, this officializes it.  Union issues aside (because we are not going to discuss politics here), what a lousy way to treat long-standing employees.  And to essentially admit to it in public is also baffling.  Who knows?  Perhaps the dismissed employees were treated well behind the scenes before they were rehired at their likely lower salaries.  That seems very doubtful, however.

The Berghoff, IMO, has lost its right be considered a Chicago institution.  Now, it's just another (privately-owned) business, willing to manipulate and deceive just about anyone without any apparent remorse whatsoever.  Whatever it had been in its glory days -- long before its orchestrated, faux "closing" -- the Berghoff had deteriorated into an over-crowded tourist trap, turning out mediocre food which was revered by the undiscerning.  My guess is that this "reincarnation" by the Berghoff won't have much impact on those undiscerning fans.  Anyone who walks into the place from this point forward is basically saying that they're ok with what the ownership did. :angry:

=R=

Huzzah!

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Interestingly, there was no preclosing media reports (Trib and SunTimes) that focused on or highlighted the labor issue. It also did not want to get Landmark Status so that it could sell the property unencumbered (the feds have been eyeing the land for some time). Now there is no sentimental attachment to "11 West" that would raise protests/challenges for a land sale down the road.

What disease did cured ham actually have?

Megan sandwich: White bread, Miracle Whip and Italian submarine dressing. {Megan is 4 y.o.}

The Berghoff, IMO, has lost its right be considered a Chicago institution.  Now, it's just another (privately-owned) business, willing to manipulate and deceive just about anyone without any apparent remorse whatsoever.

I always thought they would reopen as a non-union shop--and what does Carolyn get? A big savings of $4 bucks an hour for the waitstaff (plus healthcare)! Let's open our arms and welcome a few dozen more to the ranks of the uninsured.

I hope she goes out of business and loses her shirt. :angry:

S. Cue