• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Merlot Meerlust 1999

Andre

I have tasted the wines of Meerlust from RSA for over a decade and though may have enjoyed their Pinot and Rubicon, nothing come close to their Merlot.

Since the 1989 a dacade of impressive wines had passed:

Merlot Meerlust, Stellenbosch 1999

Dark dense ruby towards dark red color

Ripe gentle fruit blend in with carefully interfering complimenting oaky flavors. The barrel aging is careful and impressive.

Soft ripe medium + body with plenty of young fruits properly mixed with oak

I would wait a couple more years to allow a full expression of this wine's potential.

Drink now – 2009.

A bit more aggressive and lacks a bit of complexity to be termed a great Meerlust.

Andre Suidan

I was taught to finish what I order.

Life taught me to order what I enjoy.

The art of living taught me to take my time and enjoy.

The merlot is very good, but in general my preference is for the Rubicon. Although it is not meant to be read this way, I love the name of the winery - Meer lust. That encompasses a lot of attitudes towards wine. :laugh:

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 3 weeks later...

Another fan of the Rubicon here. I have at least one bottle of every vintage released since 1999. Great stuff, although there are many other superb blends from SA including:

De Toren Fusion V

Vergelegen V

Vilafonte M

Vilafonte C

(just to name a few)

Visit Argentina and try wines from the RIGHT side of the Andes !!!

www.terroir.com.ar