• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Indoor Smoking

Daniel

Daniel, I just started smoking with the Cameron a couple of weeks ago (I actually bought 2 just in case I wanted to do a couple of things at once) So far only smoked potatoes (really good with bbq) and a smoked pork tenderloin. I was actually concerned thinking I would smoke out the house but I can't believe what little extraneous smoke is produced.

Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Daniel, I finally bought a little Cameron thanks to this thread.. I think I went into the kitchen store 5 times looking at it and thinking: do I really need this? And then finally decided I did :laugh:

Smoked some duck breasts today.. they were fantastic. I see a lot more smoking in my future.

gallery_21505_358_31080.jpg

Hey nice pictures Chufi.. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your future smoking adventures.. Its really a cool tool to have..

I just picked up a couple of Cameron Smoker Bags.. I have an Alder and a Mesquite Bag.. It seems really interesting, that is if it works.. The girl is either picking up pork shoulder or short ribs for me.. I want to smoke and then finish on the grill pan..

I just dont want to have a bad dinner tonight.. Has anyone tried these bags?

Did some chicken breast today.. Going to try salmon next. I really like this thing!

Is it supposed to get so black? After only using it twice, it is already beyond scrubbing. Not that I mind but I wonder why they made it so shiny when that won't last..

Mine is pretty beat up too. I dont know why they made it so shiny.. I could only guess it moves off the shelf that way..

I have done trout wrapped in bacon which was very good.. Also made a smoked trout salad..

Edit: I take it back.. I made it in a real smoker.. But I would like to try that in this Cameron..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Short Ribs.. Bought at the Korean Market. Added a ton of black pepper, a little cayenne and brown sugar..

gallery_15057_2785_132676.jpg

Cooked until 135 and then grilled..

gallery_15057_2785_189132.jpg

Had along side a cesar salad..

gallery_15057_2785_182157.jpg

Bite:

gallery_15057_2785_40742.jpg

Worked well.. I have a couple left.. Might simmer them for a while...

• 1 month later...
Has anyone smoked beans?

There's an Indian cooking technique for smoking which works very well with veg. I've done it with cauliflower, - and I've also done it with shrimp. Not sure if it would work with larger pieces of meat, but anyway.

You need a wok with a lid. When your veg/beans/shrimp are almost cooked, you place an onion skin in the middle of the wok, drizzle some melted ghee ( or melted butter ) into the middle, and drop a RED HOT coal ( charcoal) into the onion "cup" - then put the lid on quickly. Leave for about 3 minutes. It works!!

Hey nice pictures Chufi.. Looking forward to seeing and hearing about your future smoking adventures.. Its really a cool tool to have..

I just picked up a couple of Cameron Smoker Bags.. I have an Alder and a Mesquite Bag.. It seems really interesting, that is if it works..   The girl is either picking up pork shoulder or short ribs for me.. I want to smoke and then finish on the grill pan..

I just dont want to have a bad dinner tonight.. Has anyone tried these bags?

Did you ever try the smoker bags these

The cooking school I volunteer at used them this weekend to finish off andouille sausage and they imparted a nice smokey flavor.

I bought two bags and now want to start experimenting with them.

Edited by NewYorkTexan (log)

I have the two bags still in my office.. I have yet to try them.. So what are you thinking of doing with yours? I completely forgot about mine but, dont have much faith in them... I will start thinking of a use... Keep me posted NYT.

• 4 months later...

gallery_38315_3918_1148378.jpg

Don't have a grill or a smoker as I stay in an apartment and we're not allowed to have them either due to fire hazard concerns. Got this grill on amazon as it was on sale for about $30. Did this a few weeks ago. Got 5lb pork shoulder, rubbed with a storebought generic rub (wasn't need, couldn't even taste it). Had to foil tent it as it was too big for the cover to be used. Smoked it on the stove top for an hour and then in the oven for another 4. It was fall apart tender!! Could really taste the smoke, and served with some bbq sauce- made a awesome pulled pork sandwich. Definitely paid for itself. :wub: No pictures of it done because it was basically devoured on sight. :raz:

Wow Jasie,

Thats a big piece of pork to smoke in that set up.. However, I fully back the effort..What might be a good thing to do is make a BBQ Sauce with smoked Onions and Tomatoes maybe use a couple smoked ham hocks.. This way there will be a smokey flavor to pour on top of the oven roasted Pork.

Wow Jasie,

Thats a big piece of pork to smoke in that set up.. However, I fully back the effort..What might be a good thing to do is make a BBQ Sauce with smoked Onions and Tomatoes maybe use a couple smoked ham hocks.. This way there will be a smokey flavor to pour on top of the oven roasted Pork.

It was really really easy. Actually after I did the smoked pulled pork, I did a few smaller pieces and thus could use the lid. I prefer using foil to using the lid as its easier to peek. haha. And its easier to unwrap foil than to get the really hot lid off the very very hot pan.

The smoked onions and tomatoes sound so so good. Will definitely have to try that! I've used it to smoke some apples (after looking at the egullet pastry challege involving smoke!) and it came out pretty nice. Didn't look pretty though. :hmmm: But smoked apple + caramel + fleur de sel = awesome.

One thing that I've tried that possibly outdid the smoked pork was the smoked char siew. After marinating, I only did a short 30 minute smoke with oak wood chips and then finished it in my counter-top rotisserie (I'm a gadget junkie). It came out great. :biggrin:

One more thing.. I was just thinking.. Could you smoke tomatoes, garlic and onions maybe with some cumin or a rub and blend them.. Then inject the sauce into your pork and then throw it into the oven... That might be really good...

Edited by Daniel (log)

One more thing.. I was just thinking.. Could you smoke tomatoes, garlic and onions maybe with some cumin or a rub and blend them.. Then inject the sauce into your pork and then throw it into the oven... That might be really good...

:blink::biggrin::wub:

I've had my Cameron for a few months now-have done Salmon, Prawns and a few veggies.

If there's any bitterness at all you are using too many chips.

More is not better in the case of smoking.

Soaking chips in booze of some variety works well for adding a bit o' flavour-haven't tried the tea/sugar/rice trick bit soon....

As to apt smell I always have a large fan pumping air through the apt and out the window-there's a definite smoke tang the day after even at that.

Also if it's fish you're doing it tastes best the next day-cold.

The smoker cleans up nicely with a bit of oven cleaner-not quite new but 'presentable'.

• 2 months later...

There's an article in today's New York Times about indoor smoking.

I've never used one of these stovetop smokers. I have a lust for some smoked duck and pulled pork, but I worry-- not only am I an apartment dweller, but also my kitchen has terrible ventilation. Any significant amount of smoke causes the fire alarm to go off, the cats to freak out, the neighbors to come a'running with a bucket brigade. I have enough problems using the broiler; is it worth it to try smoking.

The answer, of course, is "hell yes."

Might as well add these photos here too..

Set thermometer for 125...

gallery_15057_2785_82426.jpg

Finished product.. The stove top doesnt allow the smoke to really penetrate and  give the smoke ring.. However the meat was smokey.. The smoke went well with the sweet and the spice of the jerk.. Very good.. 

gallery_15057_2785_75776.jpg

Int temp 138ish :  It was very tastey, had a smokey flavor on the outside.. But no smoke ring..

gallery_15057_2785_29476.jpg

gallery_15057_2785_67548.jpg

arrrrrgh!!!!!!! jerk pork loin!!!!!!!!!!

does this come in pork?

My name's Emma Feigenbaum.

There's an article in today's New York Times about indoor smoking. 

I've never used one of these stovetop smokers.  I have a lust for some smoked duck and pulled pork, but I worry-- not only am I an apartment dweller, but also my kitchen has terrible ventilation.  Any significant amount of smoke causes the fire alarm to go off, the cats to freak out, the neighbors to come a'running with a bucket brigade.  I have enough problems using the broiler; is it worth it to try smoking.

The answer, of course, is "hell yes."

Smoke Alarms? You still have batteries in those things after Christmas Morning? The smoke that comes out of these smokers is a lot less then you think.. I get more smoke cooking with a cast iron then I do with my indoor guy... When I started cooking with the cast iron, my smoke alarm in the hall would sometimes go off. But if college has taught me anything, its how to get smoke to go out of the window without getting into the hallway :raz:

But if college has taught me anything, its how to get smoke to go out of the window without getting into the hallway

So very true. And in return, if I've learned anything in my post-college years, it's never to put a kitchen in the basement. Unless you like the heady rush of inhaling the smoking wreckage of burnt pizza or deep-frying experiments gone awry.

Still, I think that we can all agree that if these stovetop smokers can really turn out a good product, then Sacrifices Must Be Made.

I do enjoy smoked meats, but I sometimes wonder...how healthy, or rather in this case, unhealthy is it to consume products that have been in an enclosure, thick with smoke, surrounded by all those carcenogens, for such a period of time....

Hmm....