• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Need help quick please!

CanadianBakin'

It's a coffee mousse that will be piped between two 3" squares of chocolate cake and then chocolate glaze will be poured over just to cover the top and dripping down so that the mousse is still partly exposed. Anyways, I made up the mousse last night and when I checked it today it has set up a bit but I don't think it's quite firm enough to hold up the top layer without squishing out. I must have miscalculated the gelatin. I need it for an event tomorrow night and I work at my real job all day so I don't really have time to redo it. Is there an easy fix?

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

This woud change the texture, but you could try folding in some whipped cream or anglaise stiffened with extra gelatin.

Or perhaps folding in a bombe, but that would end up sweetening your mousse.

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

Not that I know anything about baking, but what if you stuck it in the freezer for 15 minutes or so?

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

There are many ways you can remedy this, it all depends on the exact conditions of your mousse.

How sweet is it?

How Dark is it?

How soft is it?

How much aeration does it have?

If it could use more flavor that it would be easy to fold in more chocolate with gelatin, or just choclate.

But if you dont have much air to compensate for the extra folding then I would make a second batch of mousse with enough gelatin to stiffin that batch and the batch you have. Its not necessary to make a full batch, just like a quarter with what should be enough gelatin for the whole. But then instead of making the mousse and folding into the old mousse, fold into your old mousse the manner in which you would prepare the mousse.

You could, if it has enough aeration as it is, freeze the mousse as said before, pour on your glaze as needed and allow to thaw in refrigeration. That should be fine since the glace wont deflate the mousse when its cold.

Dean Anthony Anderson

"If all you have to eat is an egg, you had better know how to cook it properly" ~ Herve This

Pastry Chef: One If By Land Two If By Sea

Thanks so much for everyone's quick response. I left home just after McDuff posted and followed those instructions.

I would try to tighten it with gelatin. Bloom the gelatin, melt it, then very quickly whip some of the mousee into it, then very quickly fold this back into the rest of the mousse.

It did deflate a bit, which is to be expected, but it started firming up a bit right away. I won't see it again until tomorrow night when I need to use it so hopefully all is well. :) It's one of 4 plated desserts I'm doing for a school dessert and concert evening so if it totally flops I can use the other 3 desserts thursday night and remake the mousse to use the next evening.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden