• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Wine tour of Napa/Sonoma

Alchemist

In a couple of weeks I am going to be in Napa. But will go anywhere for tasty old grape juice. I am planning on doing a day (with limo) tour of wineries. I'm looking for the small, interesting producers. Can anyone reccomend places to go to talk to the people on the cutting edge, folks who delve deep into tradition, alchemists, terrior enthusists, madmen and scholars?

But if anyone has any reccomendations, I would love to hear them, and have explained why they think it's a good place. I am looking for a well rounded, ecclictic tour. Thank y'all.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

We had a lot of interaction at Silver Oak and Beringer. Very congenial folks--great conversations and wines. Of course I'm talking Cabs. The Sterling vinyard was a lot of fun and their merlots were good. The next year we went to the Wilamett (sp?)valley in Oregon for Pinot Noir. Fabulous!!!

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

If you know anyone in the wine biz have them make some calls and arrange for trade tours at different wineries. This includes the owner of your local wine store and the people who wholesale the wine they buy.

In October 2004 I was fortunate to go to Napa and Sonoma with some folks who had great connections. While at Amizetta winery for barrel tastings with the winemaker Bob Egelhoff, we met a couple of guys who arrived in a limo. It soon became clear that the limo driver had relationships with smaller botique wineries and would arrange private tastings for people who were likely to buy their wine.

You may want to ask the limo company what they might be able to arrange for you.

Eglehoff is, IMO a genius and a great guy. As we drank, he brought out different bottles, including his last bottle of 2001 cab under his own name. As we all got drunk Eglehoff gave some fascinating insights and information about wine making. He has an uncanny ability to make 100% cabs that taste as if they've been aged for years, even though they're only a year or so in the bottle. When I asked how he did that, he replied, "If I told you, I'd have to kill you."

Edited by Mano (log)

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)