• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What is with the cookware shops in TO?

Librarian_chef

What is with a lot of the kitchenware stores in Toronto going so upscale? I went to six stores yesterday looking for a new stainless steal European-style pseudo-wok / chef pan and found the pricing and staff appauling. The worst was the Calphalon store at King and Spadina where the woman wouldn't even get off the phone to help me. Some of the others I went to were: Word of Mouth, the PepperMill, Tap Phong, the other one on Spadina's West side south of College, the one at Bloor and Yonge, and the one on Avenue Rd south of Wilson.

I could have gone to Dinetz or the store on Queen near Bathurst, Nikolau's, but I really wanted All Clad, Cuisinart, or Calphalon, not knock-off or restaurant no-name stuff (besides they tend not to carry the more irregular pot and pan shapes).

Any advice? I will be checking out Cayne's, but I think they only carry non-stick, which I don't want.

Mark

Edited by Librarian_chef (log)

I like both Nella and Nikolau, prefer Nikolau.

I have had similar experiences at the Calphalon store with lousy service.

There is also this older thread on cookware shops in Toronto click

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

I doubt Caynes would have the quality you are looking for.

What about Williams Sonoma or William Ashley? I know, I know more upscale stores, but at least the service is better.

Golda's Kitchen in Mississauga has All Clad woks:

http://www.goldaskitchen.com/merchant.ihtm...pid=4231&step=4

I've ordered from them before and found their service to be very good.

High Tech on Front carries a small selection of Cuisinart stuff. Might be worth checking out but I'm guessing you'd be paying full list price or close to it.

Maybe the Bay? They used to carry All-Clad I think. Might still.

Not sure whether Nikolau's carries All-clad, Calphalon or Cuisinart.

Best of luck with your search.

Cheers,

Geoff Ruby

Nikolau had all-clad last time I was in, granted awhile ago. Nella used to, but I don't think they do any longer, they do carry Cuisinart.

Caynes seems to only have lower end stuff in the pots/pans dept.

I've ordered All-Clad direct from them with great success.

Nikolau had all-clad last time I was in, granted awhile ago.  Nella used to, but I don't think they do any longer, they do carry Cuisinart.

Caynes seems to only have lower end stuff in the pots/pans dept.

I've ordered All-Clad direct from them with great success.

When you ordered the All Clad online, was it from the American site directly or through one of those places like Cooking.com? I got killed on customs when I orderd a knife from Cutlery and more.com. How was the pricing?

The problem is that I find many of the All Clad stores do not carry the full line, especially the odder pieces, and when you asked them to order them in the price skyrockets. I refuse to pay $339.95 for a chef pan, sorry. I will probably go back to Word of Mouth and buy their small Cuisinart Chef pan for $99.00.

I noticed that Cayne's used to carry the copper-sandwiched cuisinart stuff, but don't seem to any more.

Mark

IIRC, it was direct, last thing ordered was a 22 quart stockpot, good price and didn't get killed on duty at all, however exchange isn't always pretty! I've had great success with getting special orders/things from Nikolau, the guys there are awesome.

IIRC, it was direct, last thing ordered was a 22 quart stockpot, good price and didn't get killed on duty at all, however exchange isn't always pretty!  I've had great success with getting special orders/things from Nikolau, the guys there are awesome.

Ditto on Nikolau!

i agree nikolaou is the best! they've always been very friendly and helpful.

how about ebay? i usually get my "expensive" stuff from ebay with nary a problem - got all my wusthof culinar knives from there. most sellers will agree to put down a lower dollar value on the package itself so you don't get killed on customs.

Calphalon is the worse overpriced crap I have seen.

Seconds..or Thirds on Nikolaou, tons of selection, amazing prices...and after you shop there for a while and he gets to know you, hes your best friend and gives you some wicked deals...

Just picked up a Global cheese knife not too long ago for $30 off sticker!

I am also a big fan of e-bay for all-clad, but I have found a couple of all clad pots at HomeSense in the past.  I know I've seen cuisinart there.

I used to buy tons of stuff on Ebay, but the shipping costs have gone up through the years (thanks canada post).

I called Nikolau's yesterday. He has no All Clad, but carries Cuisinox. Said he might have a piece for $160. I have bought stuff there in the past, but not in the last few years. I used to go to Ideal on Bathurst and College, but they aren't there anymore and Dinetz isn't good for weird pots and pans.

Mark

Speaking of bad service, or just outright rudeness:

I was appalled at the treatment I was given at PEPPERMILL in Hazelton Lanes (right outside Whole Foods).

Just browsing, picking up some pots to see how they feel, I was approached from behind by the store owner, who in a very stern voice said, "Can I help you?"

Not in a friendly way, but more like what the hell are you doing touching the merchandise.

So I said that I was just looking around, so he said, "Looking is looking, don't touch anything."

Gasp. I have never EVER been talked to like that in any store. I stormed out and tried not to let that ruin my day.

Take what you will from this story, but I would never give business to anyone who treats customers like this.

I have never since walked into that Pepper Mill store again.

Perhaps some of you might ask him why he would treat a customer like that. I decided not to waste any more time in that store.

I was appalled at the treatment I was given at PEPPERMILL in Hazelton Lanes (right outside Whole Foods).

Just browsing, picking up some pots to see how they feel, I was approached from behind by the store owner, who in a very stern voice said, "Can I help you?"

Not in a friendly way, but more like what the hell are you doing touching the merchandise.

So I said that I was just looking around, so he said, "Looking is looking, don't touch anything."

Gasp.  I have never EVER been talked to like that in any store.  I stormed out and tried not to let that ruin my day.

Take what you will from this story, but I would never give business to anyone who treats customers like this.

I have never since walked into that Pepper Mill store again.

Perhaps some of you might ask him why he would treat a customer like that.  I decided not to waste any more time in that store.

I haven't been in that Peppermill, but I have been in the one at Summerhill station that recently renovated (Across from the LCBO). The guy did ask if I need assistance, but he never left from behind the counter.

It is this growing trend exactly that I am disgusted with. These snobs are sitting behind their counters acting like the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld. Sure the staff at Nikolau's and Academy of Culinary Arts are super friendly, but too many take one look at the customer and deem his/her stock portfolio doesn't measure up to their standards and either ignore him/her or treat them rudely. This has to stop! :angry:

Why should we favour the little guy's store if they treat us like that when William-Sonoma is more than happy to show us some attention.

Mark

I have had the exact same experience in this store. I will never return, there are too many other shops out there carrying the same items with decent service.

Edited by Manolo (log)

Let's face it, most clerks, whether in large chains or small indie shops, are bored with their jobs, and besides, just passing through. Some even do their homework, or read, or take calls from friends, or diss the customers. If the boss is around, they perform better, and many of the big firms actually train them to be nice. But if I find a shop with true service, and genuine interest from the clerk, they will get my business.

I have had the exact same experience in this store. I will never return, there are too many other shops out there carrying the same items with decent service.

I won't be so quick to judge. The first time I went to that store, dressed in my cycling clothes and looking like a bike messenger, I really felt I was being watched as a likely shoplifter. But on another occasion, dressed differently, I got a good deal on a Weber Silver barbecue, better price than Home Depot or the Home Show, which was on at the time. The owner even dropped it off at my house in his van, on his way home from work. He was quite friendly, and bent over backwards to accomodate me. He turned out to be not all that gruff. Maybe he just needs some coaching...

Edited by marlowe (log)

I've had similar experiences in cookware stores in Toronto, not to mention the treatment at the 'cookbook' shop (talk about a clerk who condescends and doesn't help!!!) ... thank goodness for Amazon.

'A Cook's Place' on Danforth at Logan is an exceptional store. Staff are interested, friendly, informed and happy to provide advice. They also have great stock, including tons of quirky (but not gimmicky) tools. The Academy of Culinary Arts on Bayview is another good shop.

I'm always happy to spend money in stores where I’m well treated!

Sorry, I haven't read the above posts, but noticed 'snooty staff, overpriced, ridiculous'...

I'm by no means a big TO-basher, but honestly, isn't this how many things end up being here in TO? :sad:

• 6 months later...

Fascinating. I stumbled across this old thread while googling for knife-sharpening in Toronto, but I'm staying to add my own Peppermill experience.

I was there two weeks ago browsing for earthenware, and was really startled to witness a screaming match between the owner and (I think) one of his employees.

It started with the owner yelling at someone, not a customer but maybe a jobhunter / neighbouring shop clerk / vendor. I didn't catch what was making the owner so mad, but what I *did* catch was his employee (wife? partner?) shushing him, with a horrified look on her face, for a good 5-10 minutes after the other guy left the store, while he (the owner) kept on shouting. She was mortified; he was furious and could care less.

I totally agree: he's a jerk.

I still bought my stuff though. Oh well :-/

I know this is an old post, but anyone looking for All-Clad quality and looks at a fraction of the price, check out Cuisinox (Elite line). I've bought a number of pieces at Nella on Queen East, and I'm delighted with it. It's triple-ply (aluminum sandwiched between stainless steel, bottom and sides), heavy and, used properly (heated up before adding oil or other ingredients), virtually non-stick.

My favourite is the saute pan with cover - about 5.5 litres capacity.

Edited by FlavoursGal (log)