• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC Chefs: How Much do They Earn

Busboy

Article in today's Washington Post on DC chef's salaries.

Although Washington restaurants are among some of the finest and priciest in the nation, chefs' salaries here are actually below national norms. The average salary for an executive chef here is $71,666, according to a recent salary survey by StarChefs.com. The national average is $75,596, according to estimates by the online industry magazine.

Interesting comparison with the GS schedule. Looks to me like cooking pays about the same as being a bureaucrat here in town (though hours and job satisfaction are, one assumes, unequally distributed). Coincidence?

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

Interesting comparison with the GS schedule.  Looks to me like cooking pays about the same as being a bureaucrat here in town (though hours and job satisfaction are, one assumes, unequally distributed).  Coincidence?

Might be a better comparison had you picked the right pay table - the DC metro area GSers get 17.5 percent above the regular schedule rates because cost of living here is more expensive, which doesn't appear to be the case for the chefs. The table you're looking for is here.

"Tea and cake or death! Tea and cake or death! Little Red Cookbook! Little Red Cookbook!" --Eddie Izzard

The thing is, you'd have to live in Vegas were you a successful chef or cook in D.C. chasing the bigger bucks.

There would be more to do in the wee hours after work, but would the higher salary increase the quality of one's life?

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I will probably announce to the office soon that I'm quitting work to enroll in culinary school and become a cook. What lovely timing. :rolleyes:

For what it's worth, I love DC and wouldn't ever move to Vegas. And as they say, most of us aren't in it for the money.

Rebecca Hassell

Cookin' in Brookland

The thing is, you'd have to live in Vegas were you a successful chef or cook in D.C. chasing the bigger bucks.

There would be more to do in the wee hours after work, but would the higher salary increase the quality of one's life?

The cost of living in Las Vegas is way lower than in DC.

Mark

Yes, yes, don't I know.

I was referring to other aspects of life in this area and in particular, this city, ones that keep me tethered as much as I long for more naturally irrigated, glorious mountaneous places out West.

To remain on topic, the superiority of produce that comes from California (when weather isn't quite so alarming) is also a bonus for chefs who respond to the call.

Edited by Pontormo (log)

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath