• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Trader Joe's chocolate selection

I have a quick question for anybody who frequents the TJ stores in the Seattle area. A friend is coming up from Seattle and I thought I'd ask her to pick up a few of the higher-end chocolate bars available at Trader Joe's.

Last time I was there, I picked up some Scharffen Berger Semisweet (yellow package) and Valhrona Noir. I have heard that they're also carrying Chocovic?

Could anybody confirm this? Any chocolate fiends out there know if TJ's is carrying Domori, Santander, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

-Kenji (in Vancouver)

Baker of "impaired" cakes...

I have a quick question for anybody who frequents the TJ stores in the Seattle area. A friend is coming up from Seattle and I thought I'd ask her to pick up a few of the higher-end chocolate bars available at Trader Joe's.

Last time I was there, I picked up some Scharffen Berger Semisweet (yellow package) and Valhrona Noir. I have heard that they're also carrying Chocovic?

Could anybody confirm this? Any chocolate fiends out there know if TJ's is carrying Domori, Santander, etc.?

Thanks in advance.

-Kenji (in Vancouver)

I was at the Queen Anne store last night, but stayed away from the chocolate shelves other than the pistachio dark chocolate brittle/toffee. Typically do see Schar and Val, along with some single origin bars most with TJ labels. Do not recognize Domori or Santander, so I'd guess no. Have you looked at the ChefShop website? They have a local retail store (though it is/has just moved and may be closed at the moment.) They have a bunch of special chocolate, though at top dollar. You might see if she can bring you any Theo chocolate - the new organic chocolate being roasted and processed in Fremont.

Theo

tsquare, thanks for the info. I'm pretty much limited to TJ's because my friend is a busy mom w/small kids--she frequents TJ's but anything else would be out of the way. Still, I appreciate the other suggestions and will consider them for when I head down to Seattle.

Can anyone confirm the availability of Chocovic at TJ's?

You can try calling them at their store to check.

Store selections vary actually.

The kirkland store had a different selection of Valrhona chocolates compared to the U.District store.

tsquare, thanks for the info. I'm pretty much limited to TJ's because my friend is a busy mom w/small kids--she frequents TJ's but anything else would be out of the way. Still, I appreciate the other suggestions and will consider them for when I head down to Seattle.

Can anyone confirm the availability of Chocovic at TJ's?

The fact that TJ's was carrying something a while back (something like the item you described) is almost a sure bet that it won't be there anymore. If your friend plans a stop at Pike Place Market, there's quite a large selection of chocolate at DiLaurenti's, and also at a nice grocery store/deli in the northern part of the market.

Edited by MsRamsey (log)

"Save Donald Duck and Fuck Wolfgang Puck."

-- State Senator John Burton, joking about

how the bill to ban production of foie gras in

California was summarized for signing by

Gov. Schwarzenegger.

My TJ's in Seattle carries a couple of Chocovic bars, including one mostly-criollo Venezuelan bar which is excellent. My other favorite bar at Joe's is the Valrhona Le Noir Amer 71%. That's all I know off the top of my head.

Matthew Amster-Burton, aka "mamster"

Author, Hungry Monkey, coming in May

I have used several of the TJ private label chocolates: the 70% cocoa mass bittersweet chocolate and the milk chocolate and some others that I cannot recall. I have only used them for cooking and baking, and not eating per se. Both of them were tasty, had a nice snap upon biting, melted well, tempered well and seemed like an excellent value for the price. I thought that the 70% bittersweet was easily comparable to some of the expensive chocolates I have used, such as Valrhona or Scharffenberger. I routinely shop at the two TJs in Snohomish County, and as was pointed out earlier, inventory can vary by store.

Regards,

Michael Lloyd

Mill Creek, Washington USA

I have used several of the TJ private label chocolates: the 70% cocoa mass bittersweet chocolate and the milk chocolate and some others that I cannot recall.  I have only used them for cooking and baking, and not eating per se.  Both of them were tasty, had a nice snap upon biting, melted well, tempered well and seemed like an excellent value for the price.  I thought that the 70% bittersweet was easily comparable to some of the expensive chocolates I have used, such as Valrhona or Scharffenberger.  I routinely shop at the two TJs in Snohomish County, and as was pointed out earlier, inventory can vary by store.

I use the 70% Pound Plus, Bitterweet and Milk chocolate bars from TJ's frequently for baking, and they are a pleasure to work with. I also bought a dark chocolate with almonds Pound Plus bar by mistake, and they are great to eat with, as well.

Portland Hollywood store carries the Chocovic as well. I just picked up several recently. They have some interesting stuff. I was surprised.

Pamela Wilkinson

www.portlandfood.org

Life is a rush into the unknown. You can duck down and hope nothing hits you, or you can stand tall, show it your teeth and say "Dish it up, Baby, and don't skimp on the jalapeños."

How is the quality of the single origin bars at TJ? What are the prices like?

I found one review of the TJ Sao Tome Varietal bar here. Price is $3 according to another link.

Thanks for everyone that responded. I've sent off my requests to my friend in Seattle, so hopefully I'll have some new chocolate in a few weeks. I also added the TJ brand "Organic 73%" bar to my list, based on some good reviews I've read.

• 1 month later...

Valrhona 71% is selling for only $2.69 per 3.5 oz bar at TJs! It was my first time there yesterday so I don't know if it is always that cheap.

I bought more than 10 bars. :smile:

ETA: I didn't see Domori or Santander there, but they even have the 85% Scharffen Berger bar, which I don't see too often in Vancouver.

Edited by Ling (log)