• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Breakfast for Dinner....

Lan4Dawg

We got home a little later than expected tonight and could not decide what to have for dinner so realizing that there were plenty of eggs left over fr/ Easter festivities and some sausage in the fridge fr/ a casserole I made the other day we decided to have breakfast for dinner. I made sausage gravy, cheddar grits, and eggs (over easy) while Fuss made biscuits that I slathered w/ grape jelly not only made by my mother but fr/ grapes grown by her as well. We opened a bottle of cheap bubbly and threw some cranberry juice in Fuss' for poinsettias and oj in mine for mimosas and just thoroughly enjoyed our selves (esp. since the Braves destroyed the Mets tonight). Any others get a hankering for good old-fashioned, artery-clogging breakfast food at dinner time? It should be a requirement that you partake at least once a month or so.

To make matters even better we have left over biscuits for my lunch tomorrow.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Yep, just last night. A client of ours is a food distributor, and is always handing Chris something to try---yesterday's goodies included two 10-serving bags (frozen) of Tennessee Pride sausage gravy and a jar of neon pickle relish. I looked at it in the twilight-approaching room and took it to a lighter place to be sure. Sure enough, it's an "authentic" relish without which Chicago hot dogs would be incomplete, and one of the ingredients is proudly listed as "Blue #2."

I was planning nice sandwiches of the luscious pink ham Chris baked on the new grill, in foil, for several hours, open for another hour or two, to a melty-tender pinkness. He asked, "How about biscuits on this cool evening?" and so I made five big ole cathead biscuits, brushed with melted butter before and after, for a lovely sheen.

The bags of gravy were flattened, frozen pillows of gray with lots of sausage crumbs. I laid them on the cutting board and sliced each into four neat squares with the big cleaver, inserted them into quart freezer bags, for seven more breakfasts, and heated one as directed. The package requires 16 ounces of water added, so each little pack will take four (they say, but it was so thick and clotty that I added at least twice that as it heated---but Chris said it was delicious).

The ham quickly sizzled up into soft, tender slabs, perfect for inserting into a golden, steamy biscuit. He had fig preserves in his "dessert" biscuit with a pat of soft butter; I had threads of honey on mine. More of that lovely cold mango and pineapple sticks to finish.

Oh, wow. I am drooling. We are having guests over tonight for burgers and stuff, but I so want to change the menu now!!

We have breakfast for dinner all the time - sometimes very elaborate, sometimes just pancakes and sausage. We used to do waffle night every Friday, until our daughter complained!

Breakfast for dinner rocks!!! We did it all the time when I was growing up, though I was raised by a Yankee mom (born in Boston, moved to Connecticut) and a midwestern nanny (North Dakota!). Never thought of it as Southern!!!

We called it French dinner...for the longest time, I thought that was because French people were always eating pancakes for supper. Later I found out that "French" was my nanny's mother's maiden name. :laugh:

My last breakfast for dinner was scrambled eggs...

gallery_26775_1623_13592.jpg

And before that, during my blog...

gallery_28660_2588_1479.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my god! What memories you just brought back to me. My daddy used to make breakfast for dinner at least once a week when I was growing up. Usually, we had it on Sunday evening since our Sunday post-church lunch was always a food blow-out.

We'd have fried eggs, leftover biscuits and sausage gravy (or leftover fried cornbread if we had it). The whole mess would be topped off with a can of unheated pork and beans. Man, that was some good eats, and to this day I love pork and beans straight from the can.

When my children were growing up, we carried a can of Showboats and a can opener on every family picnic. But I have to fish out that piece of floaty fat soon as I open the can.

I think pork and beans must be the only food on the market that's allowed to name the smallest ingredient first. :smile:

Guess I'm the odd one out here.

I don't really care for breakfast at dinner time nor do I want sandwiches. Maybe that's because I almost always eat breakfast for breakfast unless there's leftover pizza.

We have waffles & berries for dinner about twice a month! Mmmm...with ice cream or whipped cream.

Don't wait for extraordinary opportunities. Seize common occasions and make them great. Orison Swett Marden

We have waffles & berries for dinner about twice a month! Mmmm...with ice cream or whipped cream.

I used to have that during boarding school! Every once in a while they'd open the waffle iron at night...so tasty.

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

My Dad thought that breakfast for dinner was somehow "evil"... we never did it when he was home for dinner... BUT...

When he had a dinner appointment or evening reception, it was BREAKFAST for DINNER!!! Yea-ha!

Mom would cook up the most awesome "breakfast" - pancakes or waffles, eggs, bacon, sausage, fruit, juice.... oh, the deliciousness! It probably tasted all the better because it was SO not allowed when Dad was home!

In a pinch, we'd do "IHOP" instead... that, too, was a bit "edgie" and somewhat illegal...

I love BFD any time, now that Dad is gone and I'm on my own, I do it all the time... but I still remember Dad, and smile everytime. :smile:

"Anybody can make you enjoy the first bite of a dish, but only a real chef can make you enjoy the last.”

Francois Minot

We do breakfast for dinner pretty regularly here. Waffles and berries are a big favorite, but so are pancakes or just simple scrambled eggs with sausage or bacon and fruit. Nice change of pace, and the a sure hit with the boys.

Kathy

Cooking is like love. It should be entered into with abandon or not at all. - Harriet Van Horne

I often cook breakfast for dinner; however, bear in mind that a Filipino's idea of breakfast is more like lunch in any other country. Here's a description of one breakfast for dinner I made a couple of months ago.

After Noah's big day today, I let him choose what we had for dinner this evening. His answer was quick: eggs. So, I made us a variation of a typical combination Filipino breakfast or silog (pronunced as see-luhg).

The si- comes from sinigag (see-nee-gahg) or garlic fried rice, and the -log is short for itlog (eet-lohg) or fried egg (sunny-side up). Examples of typical combinations include the aforementioned two items with sweet Filipino sausage known as longganisa (resulting in longsilog), or cured pork known as tocino (tosilog), or dried milkfish that's butterflied and fried known as daing na bangus (bansilog).

Noah prefers his eggs scrambled, so I ditched the sunny-side-up route. And bacon was the meat of choice. Our one concession to good health was a mixed organic greens salad tossed with sliced red seedless grapes and miso dressing.

Now that's a Filipino's idea of comfort food.

Joie Alvaro Kent

"I like rice. Rice is great if you're hungry and want 2,000 of something." ~ Mitch Hedberg

Bacon waffles. Cooked bacon added to batter in waffle iron. Maple syrup and peanut butter on hot bacon waffle. Oh Lord!!!! :biggrin:

Wowza. Reminds me of a sandwich my grandfather taught me to make...peanut butter, mayonnaise and bacon. Seriously, it's actually really good.

Queenie Takes Manhattan