• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This weeks menu

ngatti

Nick, do you think a few of the club chefs (and memberships) would be up for a club-food challenge? Perhaps a group of four food people (a couple of writers and a couple of chefs) could dine at each of several clubs and write up a report. Might make for interesting reading; after all club chefs must feel left out of the whole restaurant reviewing process.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

please limit yourself to one ass-licking per menu.

Please go fuck yourself as many times as you like.

I assume that if Tommy could do that, he would never have a free moment to be on the Web.

:huh: Barramundi is an Australian freshwater fish, not New Zealand. Our freshwater fish is generally poor quality and 'muddy' in flavour, with the exception of our trout, which, incidentally, we are not allowed to sell in restaurants.

AS I said, It was described to me as 'farm-raised' from NZ. Perhaps not native, but maybe there is a burgeoning aquaculture industry. When you mentioned it, things clicked. I was trying to place the flavor, and yes!, It was a couple of cents shy of being muddy, or grassy tasting. Not overly so, but related.

BTW the leftovers were served this evening on a buffet and the response was pretty good.

Nick

spqr asked:

To what extent, in your menu development, do you feel constrained to cater to your captive audience's taste. Are there culinary places you dare not go for fear of being rejected by your patrons? Or do you feel free to be as experimental as you like?

Oh, I always feel constrained to cater to the membership. After 8 years , I feel I've gotten to know them pretty well. We only get a little daring on the weekend menus. Thursday is a BBQ buffet for families, Sunday is a Buffet dinner, again for families, but with much kids food done (mac-n-cheese, white castle sliders, popcorn shrimp, chicken fingers etc.). Wednsday we lighten the ala carte menu up to include several sandwiches anf fun food apps. We also tone down the mains. Straightforward plate garnishes, such as mashed potatoes, saffron rice.

It's on Friday, and barring an event, Saturday that we get the greenmarket stuff and the FedEx fish and all the special and interesting ingredients. The membership response has been good, so to answer your question, I feel less constrained to cook for them and more likely to cook for my sous Chefs and myself. That will continue until the members want it to change.

Nick, do you think a few of the club chefs (and memberships) would be up for a club-food challenge? Perhaps a group of four food people (a couple of writers and a couple of chefs) could dine at each of several clubs and write up a report. Might make for interesting reading; after all club chefs must feel left out of the whole restaurant reviewing process.

You hit a nail precisely on the head, FG. One of the reasons I initially became involved in the charity work (SOS, second harvest stuff), was to selfishly stay connected. I'm sure my posting of menus and, for that matter, my participation on eGullet.com are also efforts to remain in the loop. If only slightly. This is an ego-driven business after all. There is lots of instant gratification involved.

As far as your suggestion is concerned, it can be done, but club memberships are a notoriously privacy seeking lot (one of the reasons for joining a club, particularly a, so called, high end one). I would venture that one would have to seek the permission of the Boards of Directors involved. Particulary before writing a piece in a public medium. It would be easier if you palyed golf. Then your group could make a day of it.I still like the suggestion though, as clubs are perceived as places where old chefs go to die, and in the process serve some pretty gnarly food. I'll bring it up with the prez tomorrow (we're playing golf. See, I've been here a while.).

I don't know if you remember these places, but Pascal Dirringer (Prunelle), and Michelle Fitoussi (The Palace), are both currently club chefs. I'm sure there are many others, but i don't know them.

Thanks for all the interest folks

Nick

• 3 weeks later...

For you delight...... tonights menu....some same, some new , such is life :biggrin:

DINNER MENU

DEEP FRIED GOUJONS OF BRILL WITH HERB MAYONNAISE

SAUTE GUINEA FOWL WITH ASPARAGUS AND PINE NUT SALAD

GRILLED GOATS CHEESE WITH ROASTED PEPPERS

SALAD OF ROAST AUBERGINE, FETA CHEESE

AND LOCAL BEETROOT

PEPPERED MACKEREL WITH CHERRY TOMATO SALSA

———————————————–

RACK OF LAMB WITH A HERB CRUST, ROSEMARY JUS,

AND SPRING ONION MASH.

CONFIT OF DUCK WITH MUSTARD CREAM SAUCE,

AND SAUTÉ POTATOES.

BAKED COD WITH GARLIC, ANCHOVY AND PARSLEY WITH HERB MASH

STEAMED PLAICE FILLET WITH MIXED MUSHROOMS, CRAB AND NEW POTATOES WITH A LIGHT BUTTER SAUCE

GRILLED SEA BASS WITH SUNBLUSH TOMATO AND CAPPER DRESSING AND NEW POTATOES

———————————————–

STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING WITH BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE.

CHOCOLATE, ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE

LEMON AND LIME CHEESECAKE WITH PEACH SALSA

SAFFRON POACHED PEAR WITH CLOTTED CREAM AND STRAWBERRY SORBET

SELECTION OF BRITISH CHEESES.

ALL MEALS INCLUDE HOME-MADE BREAD, MARINATED

OLIVES, AND A SELECTION OF SEASONAL VEGETABLES.

THREE COURSES £24.95

TWO COURSES £19.95

eGullet.com

Basildog, what kind of mushrooms?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Nice. What is your mushroom supply like in Cornwall?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

i know a lady, who knows a man, who goes to the woods :wink:

Basildog, I'm sorry, I wasn't clear in my question. I meant to ask what varities are available and how much throughout the year.

I believe the problem with cod is more acute in the North Sea. I think that its the fishing industry and the goverments job to decide what to catch and how much.I will buy what is avaliable.If there was a ban on any fish to preserve stocks, then we would buy other fish.I also think that quality farmed fish will play a huge roll in the future for restaurants.

• 2 weeks later...

This week's menu, only ran it for one service, though

Shrimp Cocktail...14.

Fried Calamari; Asian Style Dipping Sauce...10.

Napoleon of Peeky Toe Crab Avocado and Grapefruit...12.

Cauliflower Bisque; Lobster and Caviar...11.

Thai Beef Salad Scallions, Cilantro and Red Chili Sauce...8.

Seared Foie Gras; Apple Rhubarb Compote and Fig Glaze...14.

Oxtails over Soft Polenta; Chanterelle Mushrooms and Shaved Parmigiano Reggiano...10

Pan Roasted Monkfish Filet - Cabbage and Bacon; Garlic Mashed Potatoes...20

Broiled Pompano Filet – Plantain Crisps and Glazed Mango...23 Chardonnay

Swordfish Steak – Roasted Asparagus and Saffron Mashed Potato

French Cut Breast of Chicken –Chorizo, Black Beans and Onion Frizzle...19

Loin Filet of Veal – Pan Seared, Served over Polentacwith Mushrooms and

Haricot Verts...22

Thanks all

Nick