• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This weeks menu

ngatti

One of my two day menus. Menus are written and sourced (usually vice versa), then executed in one day with the tweak being done on the second day. Following week we start again. The only thing that remains constant are the items from 'Salmon' on down. We're currently onto Sockeye salmon. When the alaskan product dries up we switch to farm raised.

May 31 & June 1, 2002

APPETIZERS

Shrimp Cocktail14.

Seared Foie Gras, Stone Fruit Compote and Fig Syrup 13.

Warm Duck Confit Leg, Small Greens with Roasted Beets and Peaches: Pommes Cidre Vinaigrette with Truffle Oil 11.

Pan Roasted Lamb Ribeye Served with Coco Blanc Bean, Beet, Fava and Carrot Stew 10.

Lobster and Spring Mushroom Risotto, Leek and Scallion Frizzle 12.

Penne Bolognese with Shaved Parma Ham and Reggiano Parmigiano 10.

Freshly Pulled Mozzarella, Seasonal Tomatoes, Laudemio Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Black Pepper Mignonette 11.

Chipotle Gazpacho with Grilled Shrimp, Sliced Avocado and Whipped Crème Fraiche 10.

Chef’s Selections:

Charred Ahi Tuna - Dupuy Lentils with Lemon Grilled Asparagus and Roasted Onion - 24.

Veal Chop Milanese – Pounded Thin and Breaded; Smothered with Arugula, Tomato, and Onion Salad; Potato Frites - 32.

Grilled Cowboy Steak – Dry Aged Beef Rib Chop Served with Mashed Potatoes and Charred Sweet Onions -32.

Simply Broiled West Coast Scallops – With Risotto, Grilled Asparagus and Lemon Beurre Blanc - 24.

Locally Caught Black Sea Bass Filet – Prepared with Three Peppercorn Crust and Served with Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Baby Vegetable Medley and Beurre Rouge - 22.

Boneless French Cut Chicken Breast – Sage and Prosciutto frizzle; Soft Polenta and Caramelized Garlic - 18.

Pan Roasted Wild Alaskan Salmon Filet – Lemon Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables & l'Ancienne Mustard Beurre Blanc - 19.

Giannone Chicken Roasted in the Rotisserie – Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables & Cranberry Chutney - 17

Grilled Veal Rib Chop – Roasted Sweet Onion, Dried Tomato & Grilled Asparagus - 32.

USDA Prime Dry Aged New York Shell Steak – Potato Frites; Thick Sliced Tomato & Onion - 32.

Triple Cut Rib Lamb Chops – Garlic Mashed Potatoes & Seasonal Vegetables - 32.

Thanks for indulging

Nick

Giannone Chicken Roasted in the Rotisserie – Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Seasonal Vegetables & Cranberry Chutney - 17

Nick -- When you have a chance, could you consider discussing what Giannone chicken is? Also, I'd appreciate learning about the rotisserie. :wink:

A nice range of clear flavours, Nick. And I certainly think the truffle oil would be appropriate in that context. :wink:

What is your shrimp cocktail like?

Do you ever do rabbit?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

When I briefly worked in a country club kitchen, it was made clear that food cost wasn't as important a consideration as it is in a normal restaurant. Hence, we were encouraged to be generous with garnish, always adapt to members' requests, etc. Is this the case in your kitchen too?

Also, isn't "Boneless French Cut" chicken breast an oxymoron? I thought French cut indicated the wing bone/joint was still attached, while the rib cage was removed from the breast. I would think calling it just French Cut would be enough. Or, did the servers have to explain it too much?

The menu on the whole sounds more ambitious than my parents' club, while still maintaining several dishes that will sell well to the unadventurous palate.

Nick -- When you have a chance, could you consider discussing what Giannone chicken is? Also, I'd appreciate learning about the rotisserie. :wink:

They were discussed on this thread, including where to buy:

Fresh tasting chicken.

Nick,

A really nice menu. It shows that you are "tweaking" your clientele. There is a section in Food Arts called "what they loved, what they didn't get" (I think that's right). Do you find the same problem? My guess would be there are less orders of the Lamb rib eye, the Duck confit, and the Foie Gras. I hope I am wrong because you had to work really hard on these dishes and if I were there, I promise you I wouldn't order a Caesar Salad with dressing on the side.

Jin,

Pretty prosaic, I'm afraid. Four u-10 shrimp cooked in the shell in court bouillon. Arranged on the plate with lemon and cocktail sauce.

Are there any dishes which you would anticipate being slightly less in demand than others?

Are you ever tempted to put on dishes which might prove difficult to shift?

Gavin,

The foie gras, lamb and duck confit don't sell much. Consequently I have a freezer full of leftover Foie scraps. Every once in a while we have a dumpling party. We sear chop and roll the foie gras into wonton wrappers. This we serve deep fried at high end banquets with a fig sauce.

Difficult to shift ?? I'm not sure what you're asking.

When I briefly worked in a country club kitchen, it was made clear that food cost wasn't as important a consideration as it is in a normal restaurant. Hence, we were encouraged to be generous with garnish, always adapt to members' requests, etc. Is this the case in your kitchen too?

Rachel,

My food cost is pretty high as you can see from my pricing. You are right about portion sizes also. they tend to the large size. I will generally fill any request that I can. I will not fill special requests that will impact negatively on large numbers of other members.

Ex: I will not stop service to pound and bread a Veal Chop during the dinner rush simply because a member is in the mood for one and doesn't find it on this weeks menu.

Also, isn't "Boneless French Cut" chicken breast an oxymoron? I thought French cut indicated the wing bone/joint was still attached, while the rib cage was removed from the breast. I would think calling it just French Cut would be enough. Or, did the servers have to explain it too much?

Rachel,

Yes, perhaps. I don't like the sound of 'wing-tip' chicken breast. So many people do not know what I mean by 'french-cut' . My meat man (very knowledgable, BTW) has on more than one occasion, sent me bone in breast cages. 'Boneless French Cut' kinda covers all of the bases, both with the waitstaff, and the members.

Where did you work, and if you don't mind my prying, where are your parents members? PM if you like.

There is a section in Food Arts called "what they loved, what they didn't get" (I think that's right). Do you find the same problem?

Lizziee,

My favorite dish to do (lifted straight from Rose Pistole(sp)) is papperadelle with oxtail sugo, garnished with braised oxtails. In a 3 day period I sold one! This to David Burke who was in as a guest.

Geez, thanx all for the great response.

Nick

'nother menu.

July 12 & 13, 2002

APPETIZERS:

Shrimp Cocktail14.

Steamed Razor Clams In Garlic Saffron Brodo with Tomato and Chorizo 12.

Fresh Gulf Shrimp, Pan Roasted with Pearl Cous Cous, Pancetta Gribenes and Roasted Red Pepper Jus 13.

Corn Meal Dusted Fried Calamari; Red Chili Dipping Sauce 9.

Pulled Duck Confit with Seared Foie Gras, Glazed Cherries and Caramelized Figs 14.

Prime Dry Aged Sirloin Steak Carpaccio, Prepared as an Homage to Harry’s Bar; Shallot Marmalade and Lemon Pressed Olive Oil 11.

Heirloom Tomato Salad, Laudemio Olive Oil, Blood Orange Zest and Crumbled Fresh Crottin Chauvignol 10.

TONIGHT’S SELECTIONS

Sashimi Grade Fluke Filet – Quickly Sautéed and Served with Fried Sage Leaves; Crisp Herbed Anna Potatoes - 22.

Charred Hamachi, Coconut Jasmine Rice, Sesame Wakame, Chili Ginger Vinaigrette; Lotus Root Frites - 24.

Australian Swordfish, Simply Grilled; Baby Vegetables and Roasted Fingerling Potatoes; Scallion, Leek and Holy Basil Frizzle -25.

Seared Lamb Ribeye On a Bed of Fresh Morels and Roasted Baby Vegetables; Jus Aux Beurre - 25

Grilled Filet Mignon Steak, Roasted Vidalia Onion and Garlic Mashed Potatoes - 26

Chicken Breast Wellington – Mushroom Duxelle and Foie Gras; Roquefort Potato Dauphinoise - 21.

Seared Sockeye Salmon; Lemon Roasted Yukon Gold Potatoes and L’Ancienne Mustard Beure Blanc. - 19.

Nick, do you mean "wakame" seaweed rather than "hakame"?

A very nice menu.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Nick, do you mean "wakame" seaweed rather than "hakame"?

A very nice menu.

Yes Jin,

The sesame seaweed salad, Hyashi Wakame.

Didn't catch the typo. That dish (hamachi) sold well. The fluke sold out and the razor clams...Welll more about them later.

thank you.

Nick

Where did you work, and if you don't mind my prying, where are your parents members?

Brooklake Country Club in Florham Park, that's the answer to both your questions. I did a trial run about 10 years ago for a weekend. I have a feeling it was mostly because I was a member's kid and he didn't expect me to do well so he wanted to be able to not hire me. I learned a lot in that short space of time. Biggest lesson was that I didn't want to cook for a living. :rolleyes: After the weekend Chef Jimbo wanted to hire me, which was cool, but I politely declined. He never held it against me and always had a nice word or wink for me whenever he saw me around the club. He was extra nice when we were planning the wedding, lots of extra touches that other people may not have gotten (tastings, entrees and desserts not usually offered for catering, etc.).

Pretty prosaic, I'm afraid. Four u-10 shrimp cooked in the shell in court bouillon. Arranged on the plate with lemon and cocktail sauce.

Nick - may I suggest offering honey-mustard dressing (prepared in your kitchen, not bottled) as an additional dip for the shrimp? That is the way they do it at Brooklake and it is really popular. My mom doesn't even touch the cocktail sauce.

If the fluke sold out before the yellowtail, it's because the potatoes over the lotus root frites. But both dishes sound delicious.

I could have the razor clams and brodo with a few crostini and be a very happy woman.

I thought i would post tonights menu

DINNER MENU

SPICED, GRILLED QUAIL WITH COUS COUS

FISH SOUP

GRILLED GOATS CHEESE WITH ROASTED PEPPERS.

ROAST AUBERGINE WITH FETA CHEESE

AND LOCAL BEETROOT

THAI SQUID WITH COCONUT MILK

GRILLED PEPPERED MACKEREL WITH CHERRY TOMATO SALSA

———————————————–

RACK OF LAMB WITH A HERB CRUST, ROSEMARY JUS,

AND SPRING ONION MASH.

CONFIT OF DUCK WITH MUSTARD CREAM SAUCE,

AND SAUTÉ POTATOES.

SEA BASS STUFFED WITH SPINACH WITH NEW POTATOES AND CHIVE BUTTER SAUCE

HAKE FILLET BAKED WITH GARLIC, ANCHOVY, AND

PARSLEY, WITH OLIVE OIL MASH.

ROAST MONKFISH WRAPPED IN PARMA HAM WITH CABBAGE,NEW POTATOES AND FISH CREAM SAUCE

———————————————–

STICKY TOFFEE PUDDING WITH BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE.

FUDGE AND NUT ICE CREAM IN A BRANDY SNAP BASKET

ETON MESS (CRUSHED MERINGUE,CREAM AND STRAWBERRIES)

LEMON AND LIME CHEESCAKE WITH BAKED PLUMS

SELECTION OF BRITISH CHEESES.

ALL MEALS INCLUDE HOME-MADE BREAD, MARINATED

OLIVES, AND A SELECTION OF SEASONAL VEGETABLES.

THREE COURSES £24.95

TWO COURSES £19.95

maybe this should be a new thread?

Jeez, I like your menu very much, basildog. It appears we have much in common from a culinary standpoint.

Perhaps we can continue to post our own menus. perhaps others will join in and post theirs. It'll give me more to steal from :raz:

Seriously though; I like the balance that the well thought out garnishes give your dishes.

Jin and Rachel,

I don't have a lot of experience with razor clams. Hence, I thought i could treat them like an Ipswich steamer. WRONG! :smile:

They're too dirty and the intestinal innards are too weird for people. They also steam up pretty tough. The dish plainly didn't work. So I 86'd them just as the first reservations were settling in.

I'm on variouis web sites now searching for proper preparations.

Next week I'll run the same dish but this time I'll use Maine steamers.

Thanx for the views and your interest.

Nick

Ahhh, The famous Jimbo Crowley :biggrin: . I know him. Nice man.

We are currently rethinking the shrimp cocktail. Mostly from a presentation view. We'll keep the cocktail sauce. You know how members hate change. :wink: But your suggestion is a good one.

Nick

That's why I suggested it as an addition to, not instead of, the cocktail sauce. Have the dishwasher keep track of which dips appear to have been more utilized? :smile:

re: Jimbo. He is, unfortunately, no longer at Brooklake. I'd love to know where he's cooking these days.

Thanks ngatti . I think we shared the same thought about other chefs posting here.Your menu is interesting , i can't say i know all the produce you are using, but i'm very willing to learn.Any chance on some background info or pointing me in the right direction if you have posted stuff about your work on eGullet?.How many are cooking, how many are you cooking for ,history of the resturant etc etc..Many thanks

i,ll post changes as they happen.Our menu evolves, is does not completely change in one go.I print my menus twice a day( normally with about 5 mins to go before service)

OK, maybe I missed out somewhere, but where are these restaurants?

=Mark

Give a man a fish, he eats for a Day.

Teach a man to fish, he eats for Life.

Teach a man to sell fish, he eats Steak

Jin and Rachel,

I don't have a lot of experience with razor clams.  Hence, I thought i could treat them like an Ipswich steamer.  WRONG! :smile:

They're too dirty and the intestinal innards are too weird for people.  They also steam up pretty tough.  The dish plainly didn't work.  So I 86'd them just as the first reservations were settling in.

I had assumed you had steamed them for a loooong time. Removing them from the shell andbreading and frying them or roasting them in a marinade and laying them back in the shells has worked for me.

Yes, weird guts. :unsure:

Jin,

re: razor clams.

The idea I had for these started as a visual one. A random mound of slender razor clams, shells popped open, in an orange colored broth with thin slices of palacio spanish chorizo and roasted plum tomatoes. Two or three toasted panini croutons slathered with saffron butter and baked crisp scattered about the bowl with 'studied randomness'. I've done this preparation with hardshell clams (littlenecks) as well as mussels.

The razor clams looked exactly like my dad's old folded up straight razor.

They were about 4-6 inches long and about a 1/2-3/4 inch wide.

When I went hunting for a method of preparation, I found Pacific NW clams that were monsters. Much wider than what I had in my kitchen. The meats also looked larger and easier to work with. The cleaning techniques posted on these sites seemed ill suited for the long but slender clams that I had. I cleaned them today, according to the instructions on the various sites, but it was long and tedious work.

I'll stay tenacious and let you know how the next batch fares.

Thanx for the input and advice :smile:

Nick