• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

This weeks menu

ngatti

Last menu of the season. Off until March 7.

January 17 & 18, 2003

APPETIZERS

Penne with Oxtail Sugo...10.

Torchon of Montrachet and Pear with Grilled Chorizo, Small Greens and Lavender Honey Vinaigrette... 11

Charred Octopus with Chick Peas, Frisee and Laudemio Olive Oil...10

Seafood Frito Misto; Fresh Gulf Shrimp, Sardines and Calamari with Aioli Drizzle...14

Seared Hamachi With Forbidden Rice, Red Chili Sauce and Vegetable Frizzle...12

Lobster Risotto with Perigord Truffle...16

Double Consommé with Mashed Apple Polenta, Foie Gras and Quail Eggs...14

Wagyu Kobe Beef Carpaccio; Oregon Kobe Beef Ribeye, White Truffle Oil and Fleur de Sel...17

Mains:

CHEF’S SELECTIONS

Seared Filet Mignon of Tuna; Cipollini and Roasted Tomatoes; Beluga Lentils...23

Pan Roasted Lamb Loin Filet; Eggplant Caviar, Rosemary Potato Crisps, Marguez Sausage and Parmesan Frico...26

Veal Osso Bucco; Creamy Polenta; Cepes, Chanterelles and Black Trumpet Mushrooms...24

Roasted Top Catch Cod; Served with Olive Oil Mashed Potatoes, Charred Asparagus and Prosciutto and Sage Frizzle...22

Dayboat Sea Scallops; Wilted Frisee, Lardons, Beets, Yukon Gold Potatoes and Red Wine Jus...24

Venison Chop; Savory Chestnut Filled Tuille, Creamy Polenta, Port Wine and Dried Peaches...27

Poussin Baked Under a Brick; Winter Vegetables and Fingerling Potato Roast...23

Cheers

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

Nice way to go out, Nick. I'll have some of each.

How was the Kobe ribeye?

So what will you do with your time off?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Nice way to go out, Nick. I'll have some of each.

How was the Kobe ribeye?

So what will you do with your time off?

Hi Jin,

Kobe was very good. Extraordinarily and richly marbled. No purge in the bag. We made it very cold, but not frozen and sliced it thin with a bit of laudemio olive and white truffle oil. Very good.

Interestingly, I ran into the Washington producers who had a booth at the NY Resto show. We're setting up an aging program with one of my local distributers. I'll keep you posted.

As far as what I'll do with my time off...I'll try to get a life.

Edit: The Kobe was from washington state, not Oregaon. I need more geography lessons re the Snake River.

Nick

Edited by ngatti (log)

Hey, we're having a get-together here in SF in a week and a half. The weather's kind of sucky right now though. :smile:

and don't think I didn't consider going :smile: . The COPIA Food as Strength Symposium is occuring that weekend also. The Masters of Food and Wine is also going to take place during my time off.

But I have a rather important dinner function on the Staurday and a wdding to attend on the Sunday. I wish i could clone me and attend everything. :sad:

Nick

I wish i could clone me and attend everything.

We do too. :wub:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Hey, we're having a get-together here in SF in a week and a half. The weather's kind of sucky right now though. :smile:

and don't think I didn't consider going :smile: . The COPIA Food as Strength Symposium is occuring that weekend also. The Masters of Food and Wine is also going to take place during my time off.

But I have a rather important dinner function on the Staurday and a wdding to attend on the Sunday. I wish i could clone me and attend everything. :sad:

Nick

Bummer. But I hope the food's good there at least.

I had to go to a wedding in December in Alabama. Never knew plaid workshirts and jeans were formal attire (No, it wasn't the wedding party :raz: ). They did have a NASCAR cake though (and a regular wedding cake too). The girlfriend caught the bouquet too, or rather it bounced off of two people and landed straight in her hands. :blink::shock::wacko::laugh::blink:

Did you make it to Copia when you were out here?

Did you make it to Copia when you were out here?

No, not that trip. Only 4 days, so I structured it around Sf restaurants.

I'm currently checking the net for destinations. what ever I do, it looks like I'll be traveling alone.

Nick

Nick,

There are bargain fares on Expedia. I found one for $565 round trip from Kennedy to Paris. Well???

740 RT Bangkok. I'm seriously considering it. Now that the stage at El Bulli doesn't seem to be happening.

Nick

The foie gras, lamb and duck confit don't sell much.  Consequently I have a freezer full of leftover Foie scraps.  Every once in a while we have a dumpling party. We sear chop and roll the foie gras into wonton wrappers.  This we serve deep fried at high end banquets with a fig sauce.

SEND THE FOIE GRAS SCRAPS TO ME! I'll take them! :rolleyes:

Drew Vogel -- Foie Gras

1132 Waycross Road

Cincinnati, OH 45240

I :wub: FOIE GRAS. Cannot get enough of it. Ever.

-drew

www.drewvogel.com

"Now I'll tell you what, there's never been a baby born, at least never one come into the Firehouse, who won't stop fussing if you stick a cherry in its face." -- Jack McDavid, Jack's Firehouse restaurant

DINNER MENU

Pan Fried Cornish Sardines with Cherry Tomato Salsa

Roast Aubergine with Feta Cheese and Sun Blush Tomato

Grilled Goat’s Cheese with Roasted Peppers

Seared Scallops with Chorizo and Herb Oil Dressing

Warm Salad of Black Pudding ,Smoked Bacon and a Poached Egg

------------------------------------------

Fillet of Cod Baked with Tomatoes, Garlic and Parsley with Herb Mash

Confit of Duck Leg with Mustard Cream Sauce and Sauté Potatoes

Hot Pot of Monkfish and Mussels with Chive Butter Sauce and New Potatoes

Rack Of Lamb with Herb Crust, Spring Onion Mash and Rosemary Jus

Fillet of Sea Bass Grilled with Rock Salt and Lemon with New Potatoes

-------------------------------------------------

Cappuccino Ice Cream in a Brandy Snap Basket

Caramelised Lemon Tart with Clotted Cream

Sticky Toffee Pudding with Butterscotch Sauce

Saffron Poached Pear with Shortbread and Jelly

Selection of British Cheeses

2 courses £19.95 3 courses £24.95

edit for spacing

Tonight we re open after a month off.

This is what we will be serving

Edited by Basildog (log)

Adrian, sounds nice. Looks like you've got a lovely bunch of tomatoes.

What greens with Salad of Black Pudding, Smoked Bacon, and a Poached Egg? They'd have to be a bit hardy, I think.

Sounds good.

I could go for the hotpot right now.