• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best Plantation Rums

podolski

Plantation 1990 Guyana old reserve is good but not great. Was I expecting too much? This is only my opinion tho; Smells decent/fragrant, initial taste is nice and smoky but the v.bitter finish ruins it-needs to be sipped on ice or diluted with a little cold water.

Edited by Bill Poster (log)

I'm not sure if you're referring to the Platation rums packaged in a loosely woven package. If that is the case, the Barbados is one of the best I've tasted. Some of the others didn't quite make the grade. To my knowledge, none of the Plantatio rums are rum agricole.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

The Complete Guide to Rum

When I dream up a better job, I'll take it.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the Platation rums packaged in a loosely woven package. If that is the case, the Barbados is one of the best I've tasted. Some of the others didn't quite make the grade. To my knowledge, none of the Plantatio rums are rum agricole.

Yes... There are a Trinidad rum too.....

Plantation is similar to the Spanish word "Plantación" (an estate cropping sugar cane) and that's the reason I thought they could be agricole rhums too. I found this quite confusing :unsure:

As rum marketers begin to recognize that some of the best rums are made from sugar cane juice, there will be more confusion but if you are looking for real rum from Martinique, look for the AOC or Appelation d'origine Controllee. I've also seen Appelation Rum Controllee in the US, but nothing like that in the islands which makes me very suspicious about the motives behind such marks.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

As rum marketers begin to recognize that some of the best rums are made from sugar cane juice, there will be more confusion but if you are looking for real rum from Martinique, look for the AOC or Appelation d'origine Controllee. I've also seen Appelation Rum Controllee in the US, but nothing like that in the islands which makes me very suspicious about the motives behind such marks.

Thank you Ed for your reply... This is quite confusing for us... The Plantation rums are marketed as agricole here in Spain. After a bitter argue with my distributor they decided to double check if the latter was true.... Sorry but I am not keen about US rums...

Thank you Ed for your reply... This is quite confusing for us... The Plantation rums are marketed as agricole here in Spain. After a bitter argue with my distributor they decided to double check if the latter was true.... Sorry but I am not keen about US rums...

There are six Plantation Rums from Trinidad, Jamaica, Guyana, Barbados and Nicaragua. None of these rums are distilled from fermented fresh sugar cane juice but rather molasses. The rum from Babados for exampmle is made at the Black Rock distillery which is also known as the West Indies Rum Refinery where Cockspur and Malibu rum are distilled.

I don't want to cast any doubt as the quality of Plantation rums, I like their Barbados rum, but to call any of these rums agricole is a bit of a stretch. The parent company, Cognac Ferrand, is a French company and is a private bottler of fine spirits.

Edward Hamilton

Ministry of Rum.com

• 8 months later...

Does anyone have any knowledge about the Plantation Rum 'series'? I've been collecting rums for awhile now, including Trinidad 1991, Trinidad 1993, and Jamaica 8 Yr Old. The '93 looks identical to the bottle on www.plantationrum.com, but the Jamaica and the '91 Trinidad are a bit different. Those two bottles were sealed with wax, and the labels are a bit different. I've also heard of a Plantation Venezuela, but that's not shown on the website at all. What's the deal? Is this just a matter of discontinued/repackaged products? Thanks,

Mark

Does anyone have any knowledge about the Plantation Rum 'series'?  I've been collecting rums for awhile now, including Trinidad 1991, Trinidad 1993, and Jamaica 8 Yr Old.  The '93 looks identical to the bottle on www.plantationrum.com, but the Jamaica and the '91 Trinidad are a bit different.  Those two bottles were sealed with wax, and the labels are a bit different.  I've also heard of a Plantation Venezuela, but that's not shown on the website at all.  What's the deal?  Is this just a matter of discontinued/repackaged products?  Thanks,

Mark

I've been told by the importers of Plantation Rums to the UK that all of the Plantation Venezuelan rum has been sold, and there isn't any more stock. They're also releasing a Panama rum to there family very soon.

When I read about the evils of drinking rum...I stopped reading...because life is too short, so smile and enjoy yourself...

therumman@btinternet.com

I've tried several of the Plantation rums, and they are a bit hit-or-miss in my opinion. Some I've really enjoyed, and some have been just good. I've never poured any down the drain. But I can never remember which ones I've liked or not.

They're certainly always "good enough" though perhaps *slightly* overpriced, and they make for an interesting collection. I think they're always worth trying if you like to try many rums, but some industrious searching here will prove a better way to spend your money. Unless you like to stock 40 half-full bottles of rum in your basement. :-)

Edited by Scott S (log)

Having tried the range at a local (very accommodating...?) bar i found the venezuala to be the most special of the bunch, with a sweet spicy taste which was most enjoyable... And they did run out of stock about 2years (?) ago, due in part i'm sure to places like match bar in london putting a daiquiri with plantation venezuala on their menu...

I'm sure they were just rubbing it in that they had stock and i couldn't get any, but still it's just rude... bought one though :raz:

Anyone else who has tried the venezuala have a proposed alternative? i have pampero anniversario but to be honest don't think it's as good...

• 1 year later...

I can't speak for the entire line of Plantation rums but those selections from Barbados are excellent. Sue Sea and I review rums at our rum website, and find those from Barbados, Jamaica and Haiti tend to consistently earn very high ratings for their quality and character.

The Plantation Barbados rums are no exception. I was lucky enough to find the 1993 on sale for $19 (normally mid to high $30's) and it is superb.

• 3 years later...

There are six Plantation Rums from Trinidad, Jamaica, Guyana, Barbados and Nicaragua. None of these rums are distilled from fermented fresh sugar cane juice but rather molasses. The rum from Babados for exampmle is made at the Black Rock distillery which is also known as the West Indies Rum Refinery where Cockspur and Malibu rum are distilled.

I don't want to cast any doubt as the quality of Plantation rums, I like their Barbados rum, but to call any of these rums agricole is a bit of a stretch. The parent company, Cognac Ferrand, is a French company and is a private bottler of fine spirits.

Anybody had a chance to try the Plantation 1998 Guadaloupe rum yet? Seems to have just hit the US market with a very limited supply. Was originally released in Germany in 2010 and then got recognition as the best Rhum Agricole at the UK Rumfest 2010 even though officially it can't carry the Rhum Agricole AOC on a technicality. But it is the first sugar cane rum in the Plantation series and sounds quite intriguing!

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2

Anybody had a chance to try the Plantation 1998 Guadaloupe rum yet? Seems to have just hit the US market with a very limited supply. Was originally released in Germany in 2010 and then got recognition as the best Rhum Agricole at the UK Rumfest 2010 even though officially it can't carry the Rhum Agricole AOC on a technicality. But it is the first sugar cane rum in the Plantation series and sounds quite intriguing!

So not much buzz on this new Plantation rum I presume? I guess the limited supply would make it harder to find and try.

If you pick up a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the principal difference between a dog and a man. ~Mark Twain

Some people are like a Slinky. They are not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you shove them down the stairs...

~tanstaafl2