• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kitchens & Happiness Linked.

Daddy-A

Never having worked in a kitchen with an island--the kitchens I've used that are big enough to accommodate one, including the 1964 Home Show special that replaced the rear sun porch off our old kitchen in the house I grew up in in Kansas City, usually had the kitchen table where the island would go--my question is: Why is an island so important?  Is it the subliminal effect of watching all those TV cooking shows where the cook/instructor works from one in no small part because it allows the rest of the kitchen to be the stage set?  Is it because people don't like to work facing walls?  Something else?

Until I had one, in my previous rental apartment, I didn't get it either, in fact I thought they looked stupid. But I found it to be extremely functional and convenient. Most of us don't otherwise get such a long expanse of countertop, which makes a lot of tasks easier. My favorite perk of having an island was for rolling out pasta--because of the 90 angles, you can attach the the pasta maker so that it faces you directly (a peninsula would do the same thing), which might not sound like much but it made it that much more of a pleasure. Finally, it made it possible for me to work at the stove with helpers/guests around but not under my feet. So I'm finding it hard think about spending a lot of money for a complete reno and NOT having one.

A couple of people PMed me about the changes we've made, so I thought I'd post before and after pix here.  (...)

Simple, pretty cheap changes that have dramatically improved our happiness in the kitchen. Hell, we can even keep that Hobart out on the floating island!

Thx for posting the pics, Chris! Nice work!!!

Re: pending 3x your home's purchase price on a kitchen reno -- people get caught up in thinking of their homes as ONLY investments and not the place where they actually LIVE. If you think you'll be there a while and can afford it, I say go for it. Perhaps I'm just rationalizing in advance for myself though whenever my time comes for a reno!

Islands: I think they are a trendy thing in general. I could take them or leace them. BUT -- I do like the aspect of having people sit at a bar-type counter while I cook.

Our collective kitchen angst makes me wonder what we're all waiting for. I've got the make-doable kitchen with 1970's (now repainted) cabinets and appliances of assorted ages. When hubby and I cooked for my bookclub last weekend, he (known as "the financial nazi" to my friends) said, "We need a new kitchen." Hallelujah!

Bridget Avila

My Blog

I love my kitchen now that we've opened it up and put in the island and have new counters and more storage. It's not a fancy kitchen, we don't have a gas stove or a high tec fridge but it works out very well. This is the first nice kitchen I've ever had in any of our houses or apartments. It's by far my favorite room in the house and I probably spend at least 70% of my time there. It definitely makes me happy and was well worth the money. Someone said upthread that the island can easily be taken over with clutter. I agree but I make a point throughout the day of removing any junk and having the kids pick up their school stuff. We eat breakfast and lunch there and I use it for prep as well so it's important to me that it's as clean and clear as possible. It's the only area of the house where I tend to get fussy if it isn't neat so the kids and my husband generally go along with it and pick up when asked.

Melissa

Never having worked in a kitchen with an island--the kitchens I've used that are big enough to accommodate one, including the 1964 Home Show special that replaced the rear sun porch off our old kitchen in the house I grew up in in Kansas City, usually had the kitchen table where the island would go--my question is: Why is an island so important?  Is it the subliminal effect of watching all those TV cooking shows where the cook/instructor works from one in no small part because it allows the rest of the kitchen to be the stage set?  Is it because people don't like to work facing walls?  Something else?

Until I had one, in my previous rental apartment, I didn't get it either, in fact I thought they looked stupid. But I found it to be extremely functional and convenient. Most of us don't otherwise get such a long expanse of countertop, which makes a lot of tasks easier. My favorite perk of having an island was for rolling out pasta--because of the 90 angles, you can attach the the pasta maker so that it faces you directly (a peninsula would do the same thing), which might not sound like much but it made it that much more of a pleasure. Finally, it made it possible for me to work at the stove with helpers/guests around but not under my feet. So I'm finding it hard think about spending a lot of money for a complete reno and NOT having one.

To the good points here about extra counter space, etc., I'd add that the rolling island (which is what we have) adds a lot of flexibility, particularly in a kitchen that often has two adults in it.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Why is an island so important?  Is it the subliminal effect of watching all those TV cooking shows where the cook/instructor works from one in no small part because it allows the rest of the kitchen to be the stage set?  Is it because people don't like to work facing walls?  Something else?

Sandy, you bring up some excellent points, especially the one about TV cooking shows. I'd add to that the effect of Home & Garden TV. For example, when Martha Stewart redid her kitchen, she commented how all her lower cabinets contained nothing but drawers. For months afterwards, clients wanted drawers only.

Islands are impressive and are reminiscent of kitchens of old with the large farmhouse style table. I can't begin to tell you how many clients tell me upon their first visit "I don't know exactly what I want, except that I want an island." Quite often, an island is not the best solution for their kitchen ... yet they insist.

The big problem with islands is they often get in the way of the natural flow of trafic in the kitchen. I frequently comment, "there's a fine line between an island and an obstacle. The rolling island can help with this, but unless it has a home (as in Chris's kitchen), it too will become an obstacle.

A.

Why is an island so important?  Is it the subliminal effect of watching all those TV cooking shows where the cook/instructor works from one in no small part because it allows the rest of the kitchen to be the stage set?  Is it because people don't like to work facing walls?  Something else?

Sandy, you bring up some excellent points, especially the one about TV cooking shows. I'd add to that the effect of Home & Garden TV. For example, when Martha Stewart redid her kitchen, she commented how all her lower cabinets contained nothing but drawers. For months afterwards, clients wanted drawers only.

At least the drawers are a great idea for lower cabinets! (I refuse to have drawers behind doors. Don't understand two motions to get to something.)

I also don't understand cooking on an island. The person who built this house claims it allowed her to cook while keeping an eye on things. Since it faces a wall oven, handy planning desk and a tiny doorway to the front foyer, well, I don't see much of anything when I cook. It's not a good of space, in this case. Plus, the ventilation for an island is really difficult in most home applications. Or so I think. Anyway, it's going bye-bye very soon, and I won't miss it! We're having a going-away party for the kitchen this weekend. :smile:

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Simple, pretty cheap changes that have dramatically improved our happiness in the kitchen. Hell, we can even keep that Hobart out on the floating island!

Um, Chris? I think that was our kitchen, once upon a time. In one of the houses we've lived in over the years. I recognize that tile! :wink: We loved that house. We had a floating island, too, but ours was a portable dishwasher with a chopping-block top! We wound up moving to California before we could do anything to the kitchen, and it's nice to see how it coulda woulda worked out.

The big problem with islands is they often get in the way of the natural flow of trafic in the kitchen.  I frequently comment, "there's a fine line between an island and an obstacle.  The rolling island can help with this, but unless it has a home (as in Chris's kitchen), it too will become an obstacle.

I worry about this but in my case think it solves more problems than it causes. Because of the 3 doorways in my kitchen (none can go, sadly) and the unfortunate placement of structural constraints, like the building's chimney and plumbing that runs from the condo units upstairs, I don't have a lot of wall space I can use for counterspace and cabinetry, or a rolling island. An island gives me both, even if the width if my kitchen only allows for a relatively narrow one. Alternative ideas are most welcome.

The big problem with islands is they often get in the way of the natural flow of trafic in the kitchen.  I frequently comment, "there's a fine line between an island and an obstacle.  The rolling island can help with this, but unless it has a home (as in Chris's kitchen), it too will become an obstacle.

I worry about this but in my case think it solves more problems than it causes. Because of the 3 doorways in my kitchen (none can go, sadly) and the unfortunate placement of structural constraints, like the building's chimney and plumbing that runs from the condo units upstairs, I don't have a lot of wall space I can use for counterspace and cabinetry, or a rolling island. An island gives me both, even if the width if my kitchen only allows for a relatively narrow one. Alternative ideas are most welcome.

This is the crux of it all isn't it? There is no perfect solution, just a best solution.

A.

This is the crux of it all isn't it?  There is no perfect solution, just a best solution. 

A.

Oh, this is so true! In order to have 100% of what I want, I'd have to build a room onto the back of my house. And don't think it wasn't considered ... :wink:

FFB: Yes, our ultimate kitchen flashed into my brain during our design process. It would have been incredibly efficient for cooking, dining, storage, socializing, and everything else. Unfortunately, it would have required bumping out the front of the house by six feet. I drew out the floor plan just for fun, knowing full well that we would never build it.

We are quite happy with our (more modestly) renovated kitchen, and we were able to pay cash for everything. Maybe we can send them boys to college after all.

By the way, sorry about Josie. Sleep tight, indeed.

Bruce

Never having worked in a kitchen with an island--the kitchens I've used that are big enough to accommodate one, including the 1964 Home Show special that replaced the rear sun porch off our old kitchen in the house I grew up in in Kansas City, usually had the kitchen table where the island would go--my question is: Why is an island so important?
I've wondered this myself.

I don't think having a showroom quality kitchen would make me happy - I'd settle for clean and functional. We've got inadequate cabinetry installed in 1961 with 45 years of grease caked on. Half of the floor cabinets aren't even attached to the walls, so we can push them around the kitchen. The floor is a hideous Pergo faux tile that matches nothing else and seems to be made to look grungy all the time. The area you cook in is galley shaped and the dishwasher can't be opened at the same time as the oven. Our "ventilation system" is an incredibly disgusting fan set in the wall behind the stove, operated by reaching behind the stove and yanking a greasy chain. My favorite feature though is the ugly wood paneling complete with fake beams in a different shade than the cabinets. :blink:

I want cabinets that go up to the ceiling, a sink big enough to wash a stockpot in, a floor than doesn't look dirty all the time, and a vent hood. Easy to please. :laugh:

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

Wow! What a transformation.

Thanks, we bought the money pit a while back. Looking at the pictures side by side even I'm amazed. When we were going through it, because we did a little at a time, it almost seemed like a natural progression. I wish I took more pictures.