• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oxford Services M40

A quick query: has anybody here recently visited the Welcome Break services, at Jnc 8a on the M40 (Oxford) and tried, or even seen advertised something called the Primo Deli range, offering baked sea bass or risotto or such like?

If so was it any good?

Anybody here go through those services regularly?

In the interests of full disclosure, I should tell you this enquiry is for the purposes of journalism or at least my column, a week or two hence, which or may not be the same thing.

Jay

A quick query: has anybody here recently visited the Welcome Break services, at Jnc 8a on the M40 (Oxford) and tried, or even seen advertised something called the Primo Deli range, offering baked sea bass or risotto or such like?

If so was it any good?

Anybody here go through those services regularly?

In the interests of full disclosure, I should tell you this enquiry is for the purposes of journalism or at least my column, a week or two hence, which or may not be the same thing.

Is your column not classed as journalism then ? :biggrin:

I'm passing down that way on Thursday and will pop in if you wish ?

Sea Bass in a service station, what next eh ?

Destination restaurants up and down the road network with appearances by all the cheffy heavy hitters ? :unsure:

Not for a long time, although I would add I had the best fry-up of my life at that service station.

We were on the way back from an ice-hockey match. The match had been in Hull. The road-trip was about six hours. Face off had been in the vicinity of midnight. We lost 23-0.

We stopped off at the services for a bite just before getting back to Oxf. I think it was about 5am and we were all a bit gaga by then. Best damn fry-up of my life, although I daresay it had nothing to do with the food...

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

I was there the other week, but all I had was some overpriced, under-powered coffee and a piss. If Joel Robuchon opened a restaurant in the M40 services, cooked everything himself and gave it away for free, I still wouldn't want to eat there.

I heard Robuchon was opening in the UK, but i didn't realise that was the plan. Thanks for the tip Andy. :laugh:

Well, I've just spoken to the CEO of Wlecome Break (my life is very glamorous). It seems they did do sea bass and risotto but two weeks before Easter it was taken off the menu, due to lack of interest. Whether it was any good or not we shall never know.

Jay