• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

I need a good source for Alligator Sausage...

Lan4Dawg

I will be doing alligator sausage for our game v. the fla gators--thinking of a sausage and pepper type thing and will, of course, have other sausage for those who will not eat the gator. I will not need it until the fall but am trying to get things together now. Perhaps the kind folks fr/ Louisiana are my best source but thought I would post here and see what happens. Mail order is fine but if there is some thing around Atlanta even better. I want some thing good but also reasonably priced. Any help is appreciated in finding the stuff as well as any ideas for preparation.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Poche's Market in Breaux Bridge, Louisiana. They got a web site, they ship.

http://www.pochesmarket.com/

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

thx Jason. They even serenade you when perusing the web site. I should find what I need there but any other suggestions are appreciated.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

thx Jason.  They even serenade you when perusing the web site.  I should find what I need there but any other suggestions are appreciated.

Both the fresh alligator/pork and the smoked alligator/pork are very good. I think that Alligator is best when blended with other meats, otherwise it's too tough and a bit too swampy.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

The best time is September. That is the peak of the season. They should be fresh then.

They're very good at Seafood Express Market in Delcambre, LA

102 North Richard Street, Delcambre, LA 70528

(337) 685-5708

They're very lean, mostly white meat. A thin casing so they they might not be best for grilling, but they sure are good in a sauce piquante!

Edited by My Confusing Horoscope (log)

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.