• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DF/Taxco

Jaymes

So in early May, I'm flying into DF with a few compadres for a week's vacation. Bus down to Taxco for two days, then back up to DF for three.

Thoughts?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Thanks for that link. You are right, it's a great thread with a lot of excellent information.

Now...does anyone know anything about Taxco?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

When I think of Taxco, I do not think of interesting food, except for jumiles , which are fortunately out of season when you will be there.

But then, i have only been in Taxco once in my life.

Thanks for that link. You are right, it's a great thread with a lot of excellent information.

Now...does anyone know anything about Taxco?

Buen provecho, Panosmex

I was in Taxco a couple of years ago and found the restaurants that I went to around the Zocalo to be adequate, although I don't remember which ones I really liked. I went to one that had a great view from the second floor, but the food was mediocre. However, the experience of the atmosphere often can make up for mediocre food.

Here is my brother's blog on our trip, which info about DF and Taxco.

There are two terrific La Michoacana ice cream and paleterias very near the main square of the church.

And, I had my first iguana stew in Taxco a decade ago.

One of our high points on a recent trip. We got up early in the morning and caught the combi to the Grutas de Cacahuamilpa. You have plenty of time to take the tour of the cave. And the fondas outside of the cave (upstairs) are terrific. The combi comes back at around 1:00 in the afternoon to take you back to Taxco.

Details are in Frommer's, but you'll still want to check at Flecha Roja when you get there. I think I remember that we arrived at 8:30 since we didn't know the schedule, and the combi came at 9:30 or 10:00.

Now, depending on your plans...don't forget that, if you don't want to stay in Mexico City first, you can catch a first class bus directly from the airport to Cuernavaca and then continue on to Taxco from Cuernavaca. Buses leave from the airport to Puebla, Querretaro, Cuernavaca, Toluca, and maybe one or two other cities. For example if you were bussing to Oaxaca, you would grab the bus to Puebla making sure to get the one that goes to the main bus station, and then connect to Oaxaca in Puebla.

Edited by Jay Francis (log)

• 3 weeks later...

I went on this merry jaunt with Jaymes. It was pretty swell.

My photos aren't so good but there are a few here:

http://www.ranchogordo.com/html/rg_news_df_taxco.htm

The highlight of the trip was dinner at Patricia Quintana's Izote. She is my new hero. This was in my all-time top 10.

Visit beautiful Rancho Gordo!

Twitter @RanchoGordo

"How do you say 'Yum-o' in Swedish? Or is it Swiss? What do they speak in Switzerland?"- Rachel Ray

• 9 months later...

We spent one night in Taxco in November. And each of our three meals there, we tried to go to the pozole place that Rancho Gordo and Jaymes recommended. It was cerrado each time.

Our three meals were eaten wedged in tables on balconies at three different restaurants. Hey, in Taxco, it's all about the view, right?

La Parroquia, on the zocalo, overlooking the church, where we just had some simple tourist fare of quesadillas and guac:

gallery_2325_4284_25540.jpg

Here are more photos, including of the view.

For dinner, we ate at El Adobe on the other main square with the glorieta. (Oh my god. Driving in Taxco is worse than driving in India as far as I'm concerned. Here's a funny post about us driving to the hotel.)

El Adobo (blog report here) was pretty good. My favorite dish was this Mexican version of potato skins.

gallery_2325_4284_4098.jpg

Our last meal was the worst. We were still hoping the pozole place would be open, but alas, not until 2 p.m., and we had to get out of town before then.

Do not, under any circumstances, go to Cafe Borda. It was the worst food at the most expensive price of anything in our 10 days in Mexico.

It was $35 for two breakfasts, which included cold, soggy huevos rancheros with a sauce that tasted like black pepper and a piece of ham opened from the Oscar Meyer package.

Nightmare.

We stayed at the Hotel Victoria, which I would not recommend either. It's pretty dank. But the view was amazing.

gallery_2325_4284_14106.jpg

So, to sum it up

Highly recommended

El Adobo

Recommended:

La Parroquia

Not recommeded at all in any way, shape or form:

Cafe Borda.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.