• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Why sauvignon blanc is overrated ...

Gifted Gourmet

And the thing with the Sancerre and oysters is very basic chemistry.  Sancerre is very highly acidic.  Screechingly so, on its own, in fact. 

Katie I have to disagree with you there and say that that is not always the case. I would say that I agree with you pn the majority but (going back to my pet favourite and one that I import) Gitton Pere et Fils does many Sancerre's that are not that acidic and with a year or two bottle age are buttery and soft. Not only that they are complex and challenging.

While they are not "typical" Sancerre's, find them absolutely wonderful but infortunately the punters don't always agree. I think like many Pinot Grigio's, people order Sancerre so that they can get something uniform and uncomplicated.

"light, crisp, and acidic.  grassy and pissy.  great quaffer.  perfect for oysters.  drink now."

You forgot to mention the merest soupçon of gooseberry and insouciant traces of grapefruit in the nose... :rolleyes::wink:

funny--I have a sneaking suspicion that very very few (if any)

Americans know what a gooseberry is let alone experienced the

smell or taste of one. :wink:

"light, crisp, and acidic.  grassy and pissy.  great quaffer.  perfect for oysters.  drink now."

You forgot to mention the merest soupçon of gooseberry and insouciant traces of grapefruit in the nose... :rolleyes::wink:

everything i know about fruit i learned from wine. there's very little exaggeration in that comment.

everything i know about fruit i learned from wine. there's very little exaggeration in that comment.

but you didn't mention anything about fruit in your note!

ps

although i have enjoyed many oysters with SB my first choices for pairing with bivalves would be something drier and more minerally--Muscadet or Chablis.

those notes were the generic NZ SB notes. i suppose i should have mentioned "grapefruit."

although i have enjoyed many oysters with  SB my first choices for pairing with bivalves would be something drier and more minerally--Muscadet or Chablis.

there are lots of good choices. to me, creamier oysters don't benefit from bracing acidity as much as the brinier versions.

all oysters are not created equal. it's fun mixing and matching wine and oysters, though, especially given the fact that oysters can be so all-over-the-board from flavor and mouthfeel perspectives.

Edited by tommy (log)

Frankly, speaking only for myself and no one else, I've never drunk any cat's pee, either.

(Although I like Villa Maria so much that it makes me think I ought to try.)

Frankly, speaking only for myself and no one else, I've never drunk any cat's pee, either.

Hmmmm, while I can recall many instances of people reporting a NZ SB smelling like cat pee, I can't think of anyone reporting it "tastes" like cat pee. :laugh:

David

those notes were the generic NZ SB notes. i suppose i should have mentioned "grapefruit."

although i have enjoyed many oysters with  SB my first choices for pairing with bivalves would be something drier and more minerally--Muscadet or Chablis.

there are lots of good choices. to me, creamier oysters don't benefit from bracing acidity as much as the brinier versions.

all oysters are not created equal. it's fun mixing and matching wine and oysters, though, especially given the fact that oysters can be so all-over-the-board from flavor and mouthfeel perspectives.

I couldn't agree more!

I am working on a goosberry vinaigrette (maybe just a hint of cat pee) :wacko: --should create the perfect match for SB!!!!

We are serving Villa Maria to a dinner party for 26 on the 9th of May. Real bargain too.

Cooking is chemistry, baking is alchemy.

Regarding the main premise of the article and in the words of one of my Indian colleagues:

"Boool-Sheet".

(Other's have already offered more elegantly and cogently expressed counterpoints . :smile:)

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

I'm sure this writer's opinion of Sauvignon Blanc would probably be the same regardless of where he had the wine. Though I haven't been there in years, Joe's Stone Crabs is a place I've always dearly loved dining at, and traditionally the three things to order (or at least they were) were the Stone Crabs, Hash browns, and cole slaw. As much as I love wine, I'll be damned if I want any wine with that combination. Give me a nice cold beer.

Charles a food and wine addict - "Just as magic can be black or white, so can addictions be good, bad or neither. As long as a habit enslaves it makes the grade, it need not be sinful as well." - Victor Mollo