• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saturday Lunch In London

I am heading for a weekend in London, and I have reservations at Sketch for dinner on saturday. However - if anyone can recommend a really nice place for lunch, which is open on saturdays, I would be very grateful. I am looking for a place which has either

1) High level of gastronomy

or

2) Lively and interesting venue

or

3) Both

Location? I have no idea. I can never find anything in London anyway, so as long as it is possible to reach by cab.

Thank you very much in advance!

Edited by Badabing (log)

if anyone can recommend a really nice place for lunch, which is open on saturdays,

Oh dear. That's going to be rather a tall order.

Most of us spend Saturdays bemoaning the plumbing through our awful teeth or indulging in random soccer violence.

Pretty much all the restaurants in our little town will shut for the whole week-end while the staff return to their thatched homes to indulge in pagan rituals.

Give me a couple of hours and I'll see if I can remember the name of an inkeeper who might let you in for a bit of cheese and some boiled mutton. :smile::smile::smile:

(PS. Don't trust the cab drivers. They'll drive you to their hovels in the East End, slaughter you and have their toothless wives bake you into pies)

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

if anyone can recommend a really nice place for lunch, which is open on saturdays,

Oh dear. That's going to be rather a tall order.

Most of us spend Saturdays bemoaning the plumbing through our awful teeth or indulging in random soccer violence.

Pretty much all the restaurants in our little town will shut for the whole week-end while the staff return to their thatched homes to indulge in pagan rituals.

Give me a couple of hours and I'll see if I can remember the name of an inkeeper who might let you in for a bit of cheese and some boiled mutton. :smile::smile::smile:

(PS. Don't trust the cab drivers. They'll drive you to their hovels in the East End, slaughter you and have their toothless wives bake you into pies)

Well, it seems as if your right... Gordon Ramsay, Tom Aikens, The Ledbury, The Square, Maze. All closed for lunch on saturday...

I guess I'll just have to go for a quick burger at The Golden Arches...

:wink:

Well, it seems as if your right... Gordon Ramsay, Tom Aikens, The Ledbury, The Square, Maze. All closed for lunch on saturday...

Dammit! :biggrin:

Bunch of bloody amateurs.

You'd better come over to mine for a dripping sandwich.

Tim Hayward

"Anyone who wants to write about food would do well to stay away from

similes and metaphors, because if you're not careful, expressions like

'light as a feather' make their way into your sentences and then where are you?"

Nora Ephron

Um .... are you sure about Maze? I was there for lunch on Sat a month ago. Liked the food - think the atmosphere will depend on how busy it is ...

I am heading for a weekend in London, and I have reservations at Sketch for dinner on saturday. However - if anyone can recommend a really nice place for lunch, which is open on saturdays, I would be very grateful. I am looking for a place which has either

1) High level of gastronomy

or

2) Lively and interesting venue

or

3) Both

Location? I have no idea. I can never find anything in London anyway, so as long as it is possible to reach by cab.

Thank you very much in advance!

The River Cafe is a great spot for lunch and one of (if not the) best place in London for utilising high quality ingredients. I was there on Saturday, standouts incuded a stunning piece of Turbot from the Wood fired oven, and a Penne Carbonara with Asparagus which was absolutely superb. The Asparagus was incredibly sweet and tasted like it must have been picked 10 minutes before hand but it actually came from Germany! Not cheap but for realtively simple food using the best quality ingredients it can't be beaten. I'm thinking of remortgaging my house and eating here everyday for a year.

Edited by Matthew Grant (log)

"Why would we want Children? What do they know about food?"