• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Advice

ChristopherMichael

Does anyone ever tryed the guttard Etoile 58%?

If yes can you give me your opinion on flavor viscostity handling in general?

Thank you

We used the Guittard Etoile 58% at work. I don't have much chocolate experience, but I liked it. Flavor I liked better than the Callebaut and Cacao Barry that I use at home (but use those because of cost). I used the Etoile for dipping and liked the viscosity better as well. We used Belcolade in school for dipping, and I liked the Etoile better. If I'm recalling right, I also thought the Etoile had a more fruitty undertone, something that I personally prefer.

Just tried some Schocinag (sp?) extra bitter yesterday (75%) and nearly fell over. Normally I don't like eating plain chocolate much over 61% and this was not bitter in my mouth at all. Very smooth.

Cheryl, The Sweet Side

Thanks to everyone that has replied to the thread. I know I should try to work with them myself, but I just wanted a starting point so I don't have a ton of excess chocolate when I'm done trying the product. It's hard to find small amounts of chocolate that I can use as  samples around here (Southern CA

If you're in Southern California have you been to Surfas in Culver City?

They sell many different brands of Chocolate in small quantities... This is their

website... https://www.surfasonline.com/productlines/118.cfm . They also give discounts to

culinary students. It's a restaurant supply type of store with both food and equipment.

Edited by Matsu (log)

I often buy Valrhona from Assouline and Ting in Philadelphia.  Most types are in the $6-8/pound range, which are good prices for Valrhona.

I just ordered several lb of chocolate form them as well , since their prices are very nice, but my order is still pending , they are very slow to get back to me with the confermation and shipping cost email, I dont know how they work this is the first time ordering with them.Are they usually slow on processing or its just me?

Thank you

Vanessa

Desiderio, please report back how well they handle your order. If they do right by you, my next order will be with them.

"If you hear a voice within you say 'you cannot paint,' then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced" - Vincent Van Gogh

Umm still nothing, order still pending, sent couple of email to see if there was any problem, but no replay.I am getting little bit impatient.

Will report as soon as they contact me or process the order.

Vanessa

I find I get better results in most cases if I simply call the company directly and speak to customer service. I've had many e-mails go unanswered from all sorts of companies, and have had no choice but to call, which I should have done in the first place. An e-mail can be deleted or ignored - speaking directly to someone means they HAVE to give some sort of answer.

Edited by merstar (log)
There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

You are probably right :hmmm: .I always have some problems calling , it might be because english is not my first language and I am always too worry ( even though I dont have problems usually :raz: ).

I have a question and dont want to start another topic , how is this kind of tempering machine, if anyone knows?

http://cgi.ebay.com/chocolate-temperer-tem...bayphotohosting

Vanessa

I'm glad you finally got the confirmation. Enjoy the chocolate! (If you find you have more than you can handle, you can always send some to me. :)

There's nothing better than a good friend, except a good friend with CHOCOLATE.

I think my initial topic has been lost in this thread, so I would like for it to get back to what I originally talked about. I do like to hear about other things, but nobody seems to be posting about experiences with different chocolates.

So, what experiences have you had with different chocolates? I know everyone will have a different experience and opinion, but I like to hear other peoples opinions. I feel the more opinions you have from different people, you may discover something you might not have or anyone else for that matter. Also, if you can spare some of the chocolate you're working with, I will pay you for it and shipping if you want to part ways with some. I do have some El Rey and Belcolade samples coming to me, so I don't need any from either manufacturer. I still wouldn't mind hearing expereinces from them though.

Anyway, thanks everyone for participating in this. :biggrin:

You are probably right  :hmmm: .I always have some problems calling , it might be because english is not my first language and I am always too worry ( even though I dont have problems usually  :raz: ).

I have a question and dont want to start another topic , how is this kind of tempering machine, if anyone knows?

http://cgi.ebay.com/chocolate-temperer-tem...bayphotohosting

Vanessa,

This isn't a temperer; rather, it's a melter which, of course, is an important step in tempering. But it's not automatic.

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

Desiderio, please report back how well they handle your order. If they do right by you, my next order will be with them.

Patrick I just recieved my chocolate today,they shipped friday last week , wich means it got actually on shipping on monday I belive, and today is thurday so really not bad at all.THey dont keep the orders that you place on the account , so I couldnt chek the status , but the shipping is 18.00 dollars for a 36lb package which I think is pretty good and the total price of the chocolate and shipping still put the average price per lb of the chocolate in the lowest you can find around ( at least for me ).

It was the first time so didnt know what to expect , but I am sudisfyed .

Cant wait to play with all that chocolate :raz:

Vanessa

• 2 weeks later...

I currently use Valrhona's 4 dark grand cru chocolates (Araguana, Guanaja, Caraibe, Manjari). These are splendid, of all the chocolates I have tried Valrhona create the chocolates with the best mouth feel.

These mostly country specific blends of 'flavour' cocoas provide the complexity of a blended chocolate, whilst retaining the distinctive character of a single origin / varietal chocolate.

Contrast these with say the highly acclaimed estate chocolates of Domori. These are a fantastic experience to try, but are way short of Valrhona in mouth feel, and too distinct, even wacky, in their flavour to easily use in confectionery. IMHO

A clear exception to this view point is chocolate form the Chuao plantation in Venezuela, now made by Amedei, which I am happy to agree is THE BEST chocolate in the world. A bit of a tough challenge to take such a fine (and expensive ) ingredient and make something even better. Something I am in the process of trying - maybe a cause that requires a separate post?

I find Callebaut and Belcolade dull.

Bonnat and Michel Cluizel have to be on anybodies try list. Valrhona's single estate chocolates have just been launched in 1kg blocks (18kg box) so are now there to be played with.

I am not so familair with US chocolates, but am about to try El Rey. Most interest in other views expressed here.

Very good choices. Valhorna is one of my favorite brands, I just can't afford them right now.

I've tried domori and amadei and they did nothing for me. your right though, they are too wacky to use in confectionary.

i've also tried michel cluizel los ancones, and it was not bad, but just don't see what everyone raves about.

I currently use Valrhona's 4 dark grand cru chocolates (Araguana, Guanaja, Caraibe, Manjari). These are splendid, of all the chocolates I have tried Valrhona create the chocolates with the best mouth feel.

These mostly country specific blends of 'flavour' cocoas provide the complexity of a blended chocolate, whilst retaining the distinctive character of a single origin / varietal chocolate.

Contrast these with say the highly acclaimed estate chocolates of Domori. These are a fantastic experience to try, but are way short of Valrhona in mouth feel, and too distinct, even wacky, in their flavour to easily use in confectionery. IMHO

A clear exception to this view point is chocolate form the Chuao plantation in Venezuela, now made by Amedei, which I am happy to agree is THE BEST chocolate in the world. A bit of a tough challenge to take such a fine (and expensive ) ingredient and make something even better. Something I am in the process of trying - maybe a cause that requires a separate post?

I find Callebaut and Belcolade dull.

Bonnat and Michel Cluizel have to be on anybodies try list. Valrhona's single estate chocolates have just been launched in 1kg blocks (18kg box) so are now there to be played with.

I am not so familair with US chocolates, but am about to try El Rey. Most interest in other views expressed here.