• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Au Gratin Challenged

Kim Shook

Soup, it sounds to me like your dairy is breaking, just like mine does. The only way I've ever been able to overcome the dreaded curdle is to make a cream sauce with milk, flour and butter instead of pouring on the dairy directly. You can always stir shredded chedder into that, pour over the potatoes and bake. HTH!

"Commit random acts of senseless kindness"

The gratin I'm doing tonight uses white cheddar. You can also use yellow cheddar if you like. I'll post method and finished product later.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Potatoes Gratin with white cheddar, tarragon and white wine:

gallery_6080_205_1295.jpg

gallery_6080_205_24329.jpg

i've done a step by step breakdown of this at CK, which I'll also try to get up here after I get the dishes done, but a couple of keys to remember: Hot oven, (400 degrees), enough liquid. 3 lbs of potatoes to 2 cups of liquid. In this case 1 cup of wine and 1 cup of heavy cream. finely grated cheese, and resting time. Resting time is absolutely key to gratins. If you try to serve this right out of the oven it will fall apart. Resting for 10 minutes allow you to slice and serve easily.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.