• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mouldy Cork

creativeingredients

We recently bought a couple of cases of wine. Under the foil covering it seems that all of the corks are mouldy on the outside. One of the bottles had clearly gone bad, which I've put aside to return to the vendor. Does anyone know if this is a common occurance. One of the cases is a red Bordeaux and the other is a French Chardonnary.

Any info. would be greatly appreciated.

i had that happen to a bottle of white wine...i shrieked, made my boyfriend get the cork out and swab the inside of the bottle to make sure there was no mold on the inside of the neck...after that we drank it and the wine was very good, not at all affected by the mold! I guess it depends on how far into the bottle the mold goes, mine was only at the very top.

Edited by Gruzia (log)

sometimes a little moisture gets between the cork and foil causing mold. Seems to happen more with whites, especially with Burgundy, in my experience. Maybe differences between temperatures during bottling and storing cause the condensation...

that is my guess at least.

I would not be too concerned. It does happen alot from European cellars with higher humidity and cooler temperatures. I just wipe off the offending matter, pull the cork, and enjoy the wine :smile:

Cheers,

Stephen Bonner

Vancouver

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG