• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Julio's - West Orange

SueWho321

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I drove past Julio's tonight and there were cars in the parking lot. People hanging around by the doors too. I haven't seen any grand opening signs so perhaps this was a soft opening. Also, the sign wasn't lit up -- so I'm not sure what's going on, but there was definitely something happening inside.

I would have stopped to see if I could get a menu, but I had the younger kiddo in the car and she wanted to get home.

• 4 weeks later...
any one been lately

since they only opened on Northfield very recently, I would guess that all these comments are from very recent visits...I heard again yesterday of someone else who went and was quite turned off by the food and would not return...I have heard nothing good from anyone I know who knows food and isn't looking for the "scene" whatever that may be here!! Sorry... :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Julio's has several items that are very good on their menu such as their chopped salad, Julio's salad, Shrimp Francese and Abbigal, Chicken and Veal Parm., Chicken Savoy and Francese. If you stick with these items, you will have a good dinner. We have been going to Julio's for many years. Julio is very friendly and accommodating and we enjoy going for a casual dinner.

Hasn't Julio's only been been open for a few months?

Julio was located on Ashland Ave (behind the old Edison plant on Main St)in West Orange for 20+ years. He closed in January, 2006 and moved to the Northfield Ave. location and just opened this location in July.

I'm surprised to read so much negative reaction to Julio's. I'm a long time customer (12 years). Since they've opened on Northfield, I have dined there 6 times...each time with a different group of friends. They all love it & have requested to go back when they visit here again. I think they are still getting acclimated to a significantly larger space & quite a weekend crowd. Hints would be to go on the early side if you can & ask for Walter to wait on you. He is Julio's nephew...attentive, pleasant, trustable recommendations. Great personality.

One of the most fabulous things here is a menu item I overlooked for years...the seafood combination fra diavolo over linguini. It is so incredibly aromatic and steamy with lobster, clams, mussels, shrimp, scungilli, scallops...it just takes you somewhere.

The specials are always excellent.

You could be missing something by not trying it again. We're going again tonight. :smile::smile::biggrin:

Edited by Edward Larsen-Hopping (log)